• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How did you guys and gals deal with autism during teenage years?

I did a lot of different things. Some were probably good, like starting to blog, joining an autism forum, riding my bicycle, climbing rocks, reading books. But I also hung out with people who weren't very good for me and started doing drugs, spent some time in denial about my autism, got very depressed over one relationship or another that failed or failed to materialize. I don't think my life took a real positive direction until my mid twenties, which I'm still technically in (actually by now it's probably late twenties but whatever).

I dealt with it what I thought was well. Middle school was the worst of it but high school and beyond was better. Middle school, I really wanted to die. Kids were jerks.

I was a dorky little girl that liked 90s and early 2k pop, and I was a hopeless romantic just like I am today haha. Boys were a big deal to me back then people figured that out and since social cues went so past my head, they walked all over me. I was the easiest target for bullying ever and it sucked. This guy I had never thought of before was suddenly interested in me. I thought we were together, and he was paid $10 to put on this act. Didn't know until summer was over when I was starting 8th grade and I was crushed. Those jerks are why I needed more pills. So I could live to attend high school. Now that I'm older and wiser I catch that crap now but it sure taught me I can't trust many.

I don't miss my childhood but I wish I could have had a do-over. I would have been non-verbal to spare everyone and myself.

During my teenage years of HS & university (which I consider the worst and most stressful 8 years of my life) I personally found that long distance running was the only thing that would equalize the pressure / keep my head from imploding so I got hyper-focused on that and ended up running marathons from age 16 onward as a pure stress reducer and nothing else. I may have beat up my knees a little bit putting as many miles on them as I did before my body was fully developed, but I think that was a better alternative to drugs & alcohol which I know a lot of AS & NT's turn to.....

When I was in that time period of my life, I would (literally) run like Forrest Gump until I got tired and then turn around and go home.

View attachment 22484
Yeah ,the teenage and university years were the worst years of my life also .I played a lot of hockey back then but ultimately didn't handle the stress I was under very well .

I dealt with it what I thought was well. Middle school was the worst of it but high school and beyond was better. Middle school, I really wanted to die. Kids were jerks.

I was a dorky little girl that liked 90s and early 2k pop, and I was a hopeless romantic just like I am today haha. Boys were a big deal to me back then people figured that out and since social cues went so past my head, they walked all over me. I was the easiest target for bullying ever and it sucked. This guy I had never thought of before was suddenly interested in me. I thought we were together, and he was paid $10 to put on this act. Didn't know until summer was over when I was starting 8th grade and I was crushed. Those jerks are why I needed more pills. So I could live to attend high school. Now that I'm older and wiser I catch that crap now but it sure taught me I can't trust many.

I don't miss my childhood but I wish I could have had a do-over. I would have been non-verbal to spare everyone and myself.
I feel like beating up that guy who was paid ten dollars . [emoji35]What a cruel thing to do .

I went to a private high school that was far away from my junior high (which was awful), and I loved it there. Everyone was so accepting, and I actually had a group of friends. They were the best years of my life. I'm a sophomore in college now, and I despise it. I'm extremely lonely and didn't have any friends until the very end of last semester, when I made a friend. I go to a community college, so hopefully things will get better when I get to a university.

I feel like beating up that guy who was paid ten dollars . [emoji35]What a cruel thing to do .
Karma caught up with him, fear not. ;)

He also apologized about 9 years later from when that happened, when he found me on Facebook. He felt horrible for years.

I was In foster care most of my teen years. My aunt is someone who thinks Retard and F.A.S baby are terms of endearment and my uncle thinks calling someone a fag is funny. Now here's a kid with very low self esteem and searching for his identity and you're being bombarded with words like these daily. Soon I began loving my ability to leave my body a few minutes. Eventually I kind of felt like something less than human and I began to believe them. When I dropped out and went to Job Corps I was in a different city, met a lot of good people and made a lot of friends and I just kind of began the healing process. Now I'm 19, diagnosed with Aspergers when I was 18 so I didn't have ADD like they said when I was in 3rd grade and I live on my own. I don't allow people like my aunt and uncle in my life anymore because they're toxic and I won't go back to feeling that way again.

I was the outcast, last one picked for teams, the one that go bullied, called every ugly name they could think of. I ended up so depressed that I tried to commit suicide at age 19. The one thing that saved me was music and music people. Even at 19, I still believed all of the horrible crap people had said about me but, my bandmate saved my life that day.

He saw me through the coming months with songs, jamming together and just paying me the affection and attention I needed, making me believe I was a worthwhile person. It's all been getting better and better ever since. I didn't figure out I was an Aspie until I was much older but, by then, it was helpful to understand myself better, and enabled me to better work on self improvement so, it was a good thing.

pretty much total withdrawal

there was a lot out there for me, I didn't have the opportunity to get better

New Threads

Top Bottom