• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Did You Become Diagnosed?

I was diagnosed when I was 3, my family got worried because I couldn't speak more than a word or two (if I even did that) without it being gibberish. I got taken to a therapist and was diagnosed rather quickly according to my mom's account as I showed all tell-tale signs. At first I had gotten a very severe diagnosis but as it turned out I was blessed to be of very high intelligence, and once my doctors learned to communicate with me and after 6 years of speech therapy I was able to function more normally. Of course I haven't seen a therapist since I was about 10 for no real reason, but I've been considering going back maybe just for a short stint but we'll see I guess.

My boyfriend spotted many signs of Asperger's in both my mum and myself, so I booked an appointment with my GP for a referral and went on from there.

I really wish someone had told me sooner when I was younger and still with most of my education ahead of me so I could've got extra help for me to succeed, as if the obvious signs and numerous counsellor visits weren't enough of a hint! I always just thought I was weird and socially blind.

I got some information sheets for the National Autistic Society and one of them gave helpful information on how an adult should approach their GP. Armed with this I told my GP that I thought I had Asperger's Syndrome and she replied that I was the second person that week to approach her. However, there was nothing she could do since the medical department covering the area where I live did not allocate money for adult diagnosis. I pointed out that people like me who'd had a miserable life not knowing what was the matter (and, in my case, blaming myself) deserved to find some kind of peace of mind by learning if there was a definite reason why we are the way we are.

My GP was very good and spend a great deal of time trying to help me and eventually I was seen by a clinical psychiatrist and received a positive diagnosis for AS.

I am 56 years old and was only diagnosed this summer. I happened to see a movie in which the central character had Asperger's, and I was so much like him it was scary! My psychiatrist then had me assessed, and sure enough, I have Asperger's.

The signs were all there when I was a child, but no-one knew much about high functioning autism back in the 60s, and I went through school thinking I was some kind of freak. I ended up severely depressed because of the constant bullying, and ostracization. By high school I had learned to keep quiet and not bring attention to myself, so the bullying stopped. I married a man I didn't love because I was so afraid of confrontation that I couldn't face up to him. I finally got the courage to leave once my children were adults.

I know now that, for me, the closeness needed to have a good relationship is just not possible. It was a huge relief when I got my diagnosis. I know now that I am not a terrible person, I simply have Asperger's, and that's okay. It's just a part of who I am.

"I know now that, for me, the closeness needed to have a good relationship is just not possible."

That needn't be true, it's just harder for us than for NTs - and luck does come into it.

When i was 13, i tried to kill my parents with a knife. There was a forced psych evaluation and they were certain i had aspergers. In truth, i had guessed beforehand.

I had always been aware I was different from a very young age, and suspected Asperger's since I was about 12, and by the time I turned 14 I was pretty damn sure I had it after doing some research, so I pestered my parents to get me a diagnosis, and it took nearly a year, but eventually I got it, and it turned out that..............I did have it after all. No suprise there.

I was diagnosed twice. Both times, I was seeing the psychiatrist for depression. Different psychiatrists spread years apart. The second one had no knowledge about my first diagnosis. Both picked it up.

The first time, I'd never even heard of Asperger's and when I found our it was a form of Autism, I got quite upset and forgot about it.

The second time, I started thinking there may be something in it. Two unrelated diagnoses both diagnose me with the same thing!

My ex pointed out how not normal I was. Being under a lot of stress due to my father's sickness and past trauma my symptoms were harder to manage. My ex had me thinking I was crazy for awhile till I realized these are traits I have always had and was infact picked on for them. I always thought I was just a awkward nerd that was shy and sensitive. I also thought hand flapping when angry was normal. Though I didn't understand why everyone always thought I was on drugs. Luckily my psychiatrist spotted out that it wasn't bipolar and stopped the meds that were making me crazy.

My mom dragged me to a therapist, turned out that I liked this therapist so I agreed to continue going. One and a half years of tests and sessions later ,voila. Diagnosed with Aspergers.

My mum's story (I don't remember much about my early childhood), was that, at first, she saw me doing all kinds of little, odd things, like not speaking my words properly and how I moved around the house.

When I went to kindergarten, when I was put into social situations, that's when things went downhill. I got quite upset over socializing with others and wound up hurting myself a lot.
And that was when my mum took me to see a psychiatrist and I got diagnosed, originally with classic autism.

But in the year before high school, I was diagnosed with asperger's, I guess because of how much I've changed. :)

I pretty much new i had it since 10-12 years of age and I rejected it was a syndrome that affected me at all but then it just occured to me that its not my fault that people don't like me or friend me because they think I am too "weird" and i started to listen and research the syndrome and now realize that it is definitely affecting me and trying to find ways to live with it but finding that more difficult day by day.

I haven't yet been able to get an official diagnosis. I realised I had Aspergers after reading an online article about women with Aspergers and realised it described me. Didn't do anything though because I didn't really want to be called a hypochondriac, as has been done to me in the past. Went to a psychologist about anxiety and after a few sessions he suggested I might have Aspergers. Did the diagnostic criteria and have "grey areas". Basically I'm too "high functioning" because I've become too socially integrated after working in retail. Of course this doesn't do anything to stop the rest of the Aspie "baggage" like stimming, sensory issues, difficulty maintaining relationships, etc.

I have always known that I was different. I just didn't know how. I saw a documentary about AS and it seemed like they were talking about me. I started researching it on the internet and took some tests. I was fairly sure I was a Aspie but I wanted a diagnosis. I saw a psychologist and after a few visits I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. What a relief ! To know that there was a reason for being the way I am and that there are others like me is a huge relief. I was 62 at the time and am 68 now.

I have always known that I was different. I just didn't know how. I saw a documentary about AS and it seemed like they were talking about me. I started researching it on the internet and took some tests. I was fairly sure I was a Aspie but I wanted a diagnosis. I saw a psychologist and after a few visits I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. What a relief ! To know that there was a reason for being the way I am and that there are others like me is a huge relief. I was 62 at the time and am 68 now.
Would you mind if I asked how long it took to....accept and be content/satisfied with your diag?

I haven't yet been able to get an official diagnosis. I realised I had Aspergers after reading an online article about women with Aspergers and realised it described me. Didn't do anything though because I didn't really want to be called a hypochondriac, as has been done to me in the past. Went to a psychologist about anxiety and after a few sessions he suggested I might have Aspergers. Did the diagnostic criteria and have "grey areas". Basically I'm too "high functioning" because I've become too socially integrated after working in retail. Of course this doesn't do anything to stop the rest of the Aspie "baggage" like stimming, sensory issues, difficulty maintaining relationships, etc.
Very understandable!

Would you mind if I asked how long it took to....accept and be content/satisfied with your diag?
Finding out that I had AS was a big relief to me because it explained so much about why I'm the way I am. I was 62 at the time, so I was comfortable with myself already. This answered a lot of questions I had in the back of my mind. While reading these forums, I see a lot of problems that I used to deal with. I would like to say that for me, things got better with age. At this point in my life, I can not imagine being any other way than the way that I am.

I was diagnosed when I was 6 by Dr. Andrew Maltz in 1995 when my teacher discovered I wasn't learning at the same rate as everyone else. And it wasn't a mistake, since Dr. Maltz is the leading expert on autism in the state of Michigan.

New Threads

Top Bottom