• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"House Rules" by Jodi Picoult

OliveOilMom

I have some missing posts.
Has anybody read "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult? It's about a young man with AS who lives with his mother and younger brother, and is accused of murder. I enjoyed the book because I like the author and most of her work, but there were a lot of things about the portrayal of the AS character that I didn't care for. He seemed to me like someone who had more severe autism than AS. He had a meltdown because the free sample lady wasn't at the store when he and his mother went there, he had a meltdown in court when someone crumpled up a piece of paper, he had to watch a particular TV show every afternoon or he would have a meltdown and he also kept a notebook about the tv show and all the episodes even though he had seen them all many times before (Rain Man anyone?)

I did like how his "voice" was when chapters were written from his POV. She portrayed him as intelligent and with a good sense of humor and with knowledge and usage of sarcasm. His "voice" didn't match up with the things he said in the rest of the book though, IMO, and also didn't match up with his actions.

Has anyone else here read it, and if so what did you think of it, and of the main character?

ETA; I did not like the way his mother handled most things at all. She ignored too many things about her younger son, and she indulged her older son with almost everything. She went so far as to cook only certain colored foods on certain days because he would only eat those colors on those days. I understand that you need to accommodate your kid lots of times, but accommodating everything all the time doesn't teach them how to handle things in the real world when things don't go your way. I do like how she managed to support both kids and get all of his needed supplements and treatments that weren't covered by insurance, and I liked how she stood up for him when she needed to, but I think she went overboard with a lot of it and I don't think he would learn to fend for himself one day with her doing that all the time.

I read it, though the only Jodi Picoult book that has left an impression on me was My Sister's Keeper (the first one I ever read of this author, her books kind of seem formulaic). I have a slight interest in forensics, so Jacob's fascination did add something to the book for me. I agree that his symptoms were severe, though an improvement from what they had been in childhood (if I remember that correctly). I think that's why Emma felt she couldn't equally split the attention between the children, because Jacob was in danger of reverting back without the upkeep of his routine.

Haven't, but given your review of it here, I've added it to my reading list. Thanks for the heads up!

I like most of her books. They seem to be geared toward a YA audience and I first read one when my daughter suggested it, but I like them. Nineteen Minutes, The Pact, Salem Falls and The Tenth Circle are my favorites. There are some that I don't like as well and I've read most of them, but there are none that I just can't read or get into.

She's pretty good and I'd recommend her to anybody.

New Threads

Top Bottom