• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hobbies

Val2

First off, I'm sorry if this is already a subject that's been discussed but I didn't search beforehand.

I was asked yesterday what my hobbies were. I hate this question because I only have one hobby. I will research the heck out of something that fascinates me in the moment or on that day, or month, etc. I use to be obsessed with soccer but it wasn't a hobby for me, I was playing competitively, it felt more like a job. My parents have hobbies they enjoy like guitar, singing, swimming, yoga, etc. but I just don't have these kind of interests. Is it normal to not have hobbies and not find anything interesting? I feel like such a boring person but somehow I never get bored even though I don't really do much during the day.

First off, I'm sorry if this is already a subject that's been discussed but I didn't search beforehand.

I was asked yesterday what my hobbies were. I hate this question because I only have one hobby. I will research the heck out of something that fascinates me in the moment or on that day, or month, etc. I use to be obsessed with soccer but it wasn't a hobby for me, I was playing competitively, it felt more like a job. My parents have hobbies they enjoy like guitar, singing, swimming, yoga, etc. but I just don't have these kind of interests. Is it normal to not have hobbies and not find anything interesting? I feel like such a boring person but somehow I never get bored even though I don't really do much during the day.

For some reason I can't delete my thread and can't edit my post. I just want to clarify, that as a whole, my question is just wondering how many aspies out there have such few interests like me? I talked about my parents hobbies just to show how they have a wide variety of interest and I have never been like that. I have very minimal interests and I focus on one hobby at a time usually. Just wondering if this is normal asperger behavior or if I'm the only one?

It is a trait with AS that we have a narrow range of interests, so yes, you are quite normal. It is also relatively common for one's interest to be something quite unusual, for example I collect border collie pedigree data. I do have a few interests but like you I tend to focus on one at a time.

I don't have a really, really, really, limited range of hobbies. Though it depends on perspective I guess.

However, any hobby I have, I spend a lot of time on, and perhaps it's that I only have hobbies that require a lot of time anyway.

I sometimes feel that I have a broad sense of interest and a goal, and that pretty much narrows down what I do and what I want to do in terms of hobbies. Example; I play a few instruments. But I will not limit myself to just a guitar for example. In fact, I will go great lengths to master new instruments when I feel the need to include them in a project (a goal). Similarly, I have an interest in tabletop wargames; I don't really limit myself to just 1 gamesystem or 1 playstyle.

Perhaps it's that for an "outsider" it's specific enough to like said tabletop games. But if you focus in on it and know something about it, it's not as narrow as it could be.

Yep. Its perfectly "normal", not that we're actually normal, to be like that. Me personally, I would have one hobby/obsession master it and become somewhat expert in it before moving on to another hobby. I have a tendency to focus on one thing at a time as well.

I like to play and collect old video games, but within that rather broad field, I generally focus my attention on the "underdog" consoles that didn't get a whole lot of attention when they were current because they seem to have the most unique and interesting libraries. My favorite of these systems would have to be the PC Engine (the Japanese version of the TurboGrafx 16) because there were a ton of great games that never made it out of Japan and it's kind of neat to think I'm one of the few people who get to experience them because a lot of people simply don't know about it.

If I have any hobby, it would be playing SimCity 4 and watching NFL and baseball games. That's all.

They are enjoyable to make me feel great.

I've had several in my lifetime, most of which have passed and others which remain within my interest. I've never limited myself to just a handful of "interests", they run the gamut no doubt - but the ones which have grabbed my attention tend to get the most focus, sometimes to the expense of everything else. You could call it single mindedness I suppose, which lines up with what some people in this thread have already stated and which just so happens to be a consequence of my HFA.

Right now I'm delving mostly into retro video games (props to the guy who mentioned PC Engine, definitely an underrated console :)), hobby programming, ASD research (still), a few others...

I'm obsessed with Harry Pottee, Bleach and Avatar. I spend a lot of time reading FanFiction, searching pictures and worthless facts, since I was like 6 or 7. Also I love to read about illness like schizophrenia, haemophilia, dyslexia and ADHD, my mom think it's weird but I want to be informed.

It is my understanding that we are to try and use an existing post if we find one... I hope thats right.

I'm just trying to revive this one. I like to know what people like to do with their spare time, for those that have any.

I'm just a curious scruffy little guy that likes to learn stuff. I like to see what makes people tick, what makes them happy, what dreams they have... I guess I do this to take the focus off of myself. I really like to research things to the point of total confusion, but at least my mind is actually thinking on something of substance, instead of chasing worries and unknowns.

I would like to know what you all like, if you feel like sharing or even posting a pic.

I will add mine later, cause right now I think its stupid, plus I gotta go get a pic and get back to work : )

New Threads

Top Bottom