• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

hi uh i'm 20 and i just discovered that i have aspergers and i'm 90% sure

Alexis

i've been doing hours of research and i've taken a bunch of quizzes all with the same positive result
i took t that 13 page one and i got 159 out of 200 aspie and 58 out of 200 neurotypical
um i want to get diagnosed but i'm not sure how i have had a lot of trouble with doctors and my mental illness
i guess where do i start? anywhere like dr wise or this forum

If you haven't maybe read around some and see if it all seems familiar. Or like most of us, vent cause you've finally found a bunch of people who are like you, and really understand what your feeling and going through. This is a great forum and everyone here is nice. The admins and moderators are doing their jobs very well. Welcome.

I am self-diagnosed, and middle-aged. I fail to see much benefit to me from an "official" diagnosis. I haven't ever been through the process myself, but many here have. I think your next move in that direction would depend on where you live, for one, and the sort of health insurance, if any, that you have. Others here could, and probably will, be of help with these sort of questions.

Welcome Alexis :)

There's a lot to figure out, but hopefully it will help allow you to make sense of everything. If you're still trying to find that other 10%, then reading forums, posting questions, and sharing experiences here is a good place to start.

Just be aware too that a lot of information out there is more heavily directed towards men with ASD, rather than women; and there are quite substantial differences. Try reading this link for a few examples:
Aspienwomen: Adult Women with Asperger Syndrome. Moving towards a female profile of Asperger Syndrome | taniaannmarshall

Also, this book is great for understanding women with ASD:
Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

Hope that helps

i've been doing hours of research and i've taken a bunch of quizzes all with the same positive result
i took t that 13 page one and i got 159 out of 200 aspie and 58 out of 200 neurotypical
um i want to get diagnosed but i'm not sure how i have had a lot of trouble with doctors and my mental illness

Welcome to AC Alexis. Such tests are a start...but I wouldn't rely too heavily on them by themselves. You're on the right track coming here though. You may find from doing a lot of reading here that you have much in common with many of us. Additionally you might consider going on medical websites just to read the various symptoms of ASD and compare them to what your perceived traits and behaviors may be.

Welcome to AC! :D

I'm not much older than you, and I have an official diagnosis. I found out I was on the spectrum halfway through college, so seeking a professional's opinion might be worthwhile if you struggled in that environment as I did.

Another thing to note is that there are numerous employment opportunities for people with autism, but you will almost certainly need a professional diagnosis. I intend to take full advantage of mine, if possible.

I'm not much older than you, and I have an official diagnosis. I found out I was on the spectrum halfway through college, so seeking a professional's opinion might be worthwhile if you struggled in that environment as I did.

Another thing to note is that there are numerous employment opportunities for people with autism, but you will almost certainly need a professional diagnosis. I intend to take full advantage of mine, if possible.

that is very good to know since one of the things i struggle with is job finding and doing

ok here's my signs and symptoms in the most organized way i can manage
diagnosed with agoraphobia social anxiety ocd major depression i take 200 mg of seraquel and 300 of effexor each day
other things i know i have: maladaptive daydreaming with pacing, the ocd is actually in the form of dermatillomania and of course aspergers i'm p sure
uh ok signs
"that's MY seat"
as a kid i wouldn't wear any girl clothes or anything with tags or seams
i still cut the tags off my clothes
i collected taxidermy as a kid and loved science
i was bratty as a kid but it makes more sense now like once i wouldn't go ice skating bc the boot felt wrong on my foot and i sat for 4 hours while my entire family had fun except me
i have nightmares every night and they bother me during the day
i want to pick other peoples skin
i crack my neck compulsively
my obsessive interests really are about specific dumb things like a lot of tv shows or music or subject of psychology and it changes. i like to analyse comedy to myself a lot
small changes in my plans trigger me to sometimes flip completely out and self harm
um i was tested a lot as a kid bc of school
i have really bad handwriting
any social stuff really
math i'm terrible at math
i have a hard time reading clocks or doing forms
uh i talk too loud a lot and get excited about what i'm saying
i bite my lip and eat all the skin i pick off myself
i'm sensitive to sounds and sunlight
i think i hear footsteps a lot
i am a very picky eater

Mine:
the clothing tag thing, check
I daydream a whole lot, but it doesn't seem to quite make the official "maladaptive" threshold
I pace when speaking for more than a few sentences
I stim with my fingers, touching my face, leg jitters
My handwriting is beyond awful. I often can't read it myself a couple of hours later
I talk to myself quite a bit
not wired for math
or socializing
am very overwhelmed when trying to do more than 1 thing at a time, a minor trigger for me
I have long been subject to paranoid thoughts and feelings
I become obsessively interested in things constantly (it changes periodically)
I am underemployed
I am always offending people, when I'm trying to be nice

i eat things in like groups like i eat one thing for a long time and then i get sick of it and switch to a new food

Sometimes traits are masked by other things too. Like you said you had OCD which is often apart of AS due to our obsessiveness about topics or things we need to do. It might be worth getting an official diagnosis. I would recommend doing an online search for your local Autism society or community they may be able to direct to you a specific place that does adult assessments the most tricky part is finding someone who does adult assessments and works with females. Girls are still under-diagnosed and often over diagnosed with the wrong things or they are made worse by the fact that AS is at the core and its being ignored.

Also I do the food thing too. I refuse to eat certain foods all the time but some foods I go in cravings as my mom calls it. For two weeks I might eat only shredded wheat, then maybe after that I eat only cottage cheese or something. You are not alone here we are here to support you.

Sometimes traits are masked by other things too. Like you said you had OCD which is often apart of AS due to our obsessiveness about topics or things we need to do..
Not to get hung up on semantics, but I was recently reading about the difference OCPD obsessive compulsive personality disorder, and regular OCD . Interestingly, OCPD Is considered to be part of the autism spectrum, while OCD is not, and a separate diagnosis.

Here is a look at OCPD, And I guess alot of people in here can relate to this. At least I can. I was recently talking about my therapist about OCD, and my research brought be to OCPD.

http://www.ocfoundation.org/uploadedfiles/maincontent/find_help/ocpd fact sheet.pdf

Some other rando info- OCD vs. OCPD – A Blog About Toxic and Non-Toxic People

Not to get hung up on semantics, but I was recently reading about the difference OCPD obsessive compulsive personality disorder, and regular OCD . Interestingly, OCPD Is considered to be part of the autism spectrum, while OCD is not, and a separate diagnosis.

Here is a look at OCPD, And I guess alot of people in here can relate to this. At least I can. I was recently talking about my therapist about OCD, and my research brought be to OCPD.

http://www.ocfoundation.org/uploadedfiles/maincontent/find_help/ocpd fact sheet.pdf

Some other rando info- OCD vs. OCPD – A Blog About Toxic and Non-Toxic People
Yes I know. I am a clinical social worker. But I was not trying to be overwhelming. Also a lot of people just have OCD NOS which is not part of the personality disorders. Yes i understand that it is a seperate diagnosis but sometimes people on the Autism spectrum actually have OCD or OCD NOS or OCPD it just depends on all the factors.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom