• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, im Tom

apsie

Hello everyone.

My name is Tom, I'm 27years old and I was diagnoses with aspergers syndrome last year.
I've known myself ever sinds I was 15, nut never wanted to see a psychiatrist because of my prejudice against them.
I'm a little more openminded on the subject now :)

Time to do this properly:

Hello everyone.

My name is Tom.
I decided to get diagnosed last year, but I've known I'm an aspie sinse I was 15 (I'm 27 now). Before that (15 years of age) everyone, myself included thought I was a little retarded.
(Thank you Mr. appointed school psychologist!)
IQ tests blew that out of the water but it did not change how people viewed me or treated me, I was still the same quiet teen with strange behaviour.
It all made me very interested in how people think, so ever sinse then I've been learning all I can about psychologie and neurology.
The more I learn though, the more I feel seperated from society and people in general.
The differences between myself and neurotypical people became blatantly obvious, every bit of knowledge felt like a slap in the face.

Trying to function in society taught me some skills, I may be one of the worlds greatest actors.
I know whats expected of me and I've learnt how to act appropriately.
The last 9 years I worked nights in a bakery as a pastrycheff.
There were atleast 10 co workers around at any given time, lots of machinery and terrible bright yellow lighting.
I could manage to work and act as was expected of me, but at the end of the day (night) I was usually drained.
My sensory problems arn't extreme as far as I can tell, but enough to cause epilepsie to act up.
3 Weeks ago I had a grand mal at work. I quit right after, it didn't take my colleagues long to brand me professor "stuipje" which means "little siezure".
If I could focus on 1-2 things at a time everything was fine, but when the massive dishwasher started making noise and puffing steam I regularly phased out in to deja vu land for a few seconds.

I've accepted most of the things that most people do, and that I have to make an effort to fit in.
Morally and ethically is a different story all together though.
I keep bumping in to lies and deciet, circular thinking etc... Those things make me deeply sad.

Allong with brainscience I'm also heavily invested in to physics and biology.
It all allows me to connect the dots and put things in perspective.

Welcome :)

Many of us have also developed an interest in studying people; myself included. It helps to better understand our place in the world.

I hope you feel comfortable here; our members are helpful, friendly, and quite understanding. It really helps to be surrounded by such like-minded people.

Should you wish to explore more, we have some books listed in our recommended readings section, which members have suggested. If you have yet to discover Dr. Tony Attwood, then I highly recommend him: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Hello and welcome,
I am sure you will find this a great place to be.

Hi Tom and welcome to our AspiesCommunity ! I liked your second introduction formula, it was much more detailed and I got a better picture of your situation. I am glad that you decided to become a member of this social group of ours :)

Hello everyone.

...I've ... never wanted to see a psychiatrist because of my prejudice against them. I'm a little more openminded on the subject now :)

Hello. I had the same problem in the beginning, but like you my perspective on psychiatrists has broadened since getting diagnosed. There are always good and bad members of any profession, but the goal of psychiatry is noble - to understand ourselves better is important and critical to happiness. Also, this led you here, and the people here are (for the most part) pretty cool.

Hello Tom, welcome to AC. Glad you found us, have fun relating to and relaxing with us :)

I understand completely. I knew I had my disorders ever since I was little also. I didn't get any help as a kid because I didn't think my family would have believed me if I would have told them about my symptoms and disabilities. So I understand exactly where you're coming from.

New Threads

Top Bottom