• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, I'm Anna, and I'm trying to find out some information... (long intro)

CiJo

Hello!

I'm 19, I'm a college sophomore studying theater and anthropology, and I'm trying to figure out if a diagnosis of Asperger's fits me. I want to write out a few of the things I've been thinking about recently and maybe hear (read) some feedback.

During the first conversation I ever had with my now best friend, he asked me if I was mildly autistic. My response: "Um. No." A year and a half later, when he's being less of a blunt idiot and more of a caring person, he still brings it up occasionally. He thinks I may have Asperger's and cites my way of interacting with people and my good memory as his reasons.

At first, I brushed him off. I attribute my sharp recall to years of fascination with the subject of memory, and training it in order to retain lines and monologues when I'm acting. And I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about the way I interact with people. I've done some online research recently, and there are other ways I don't fit the general information or profile of a person with Asperger's that I'm aware of. I've read that people with autism or Asperger's generally tend to be more interested by mathematics or science (one of the symptoms I've read about is a fascination with numbers or statistics) and I've always tended more toward history, literature, humanities, and the arts. Though I'm not sure how important a person's interests are to a diagnosis. Is being more numbers-oriented generally true, but not a rule? Is it more important to consider how a person goes about pursuing their interests, no matter what those interests may be?

I also consider myself to be fairly emotionally intelligent and able to function well in social situations.

However, my mind has kept going back to the possibility. I've read about as many things that ring true as I have things that it seems I can explain away.

Just yesterday, when I was home from school for Thanksgiving break, I was having breakfast with two high school friends. They were at times talking around me and over me, and the years of memories from high school and middle school came crashing back--all the awkward conversations that were so like this one and always feeling somehow left behind and left out of the social maneuvers and dances that comprised teenage interactions. It's something I had always been frustrated by. I attributed it to all kinds of things--they have poor manners, or, they're closer friends, they have more shared experiences, more things to talk about that I'm not in on. It was only during this most recent occurrence that I had a different possible interpretation. Maybe I've just always been conversing on a different level than them.

I also feel like I'm never able to maintain friendships--or relationships in general--for a long time. The two old friends are people I've recently reconnected with, but was never extremely close to. I was relatively friendless during my last two years of high school, despite the fact that I consider myself to be a social and extroverted person. During my first semester of college, I was excited because I was meeting new people and (I thought) forming new friendships. I emerged from the asocial rut I found myself in during high school! And yet, later in the year I began to feel very anxious about having roommates. Being away from home and pushed out of my routines made me realize how much I relied on them. I developed a whole new set of routines surrounding laundry and personal hygiene that were far more intense than anything I'd done before. And this year I find myself speaking with very few people outside of class and work, despite the fact that I would like to socialize and make friends.

Other things that seem to match with a general profile of a person with Asperger's that I've gathered: I've always been fairly obsessive about my interests--the three longest-lasting obsessions being acting, fashion, and Sherlock Holmes. I could talk for hours about Sherlock Holmes. Also, in recent years, I've dealt with some depression, which is, I think, not in itself in indicator, but from what I understand not unusual for teens and young adults with Asperger's.

Reasons why I continue to be unsure: I feel like social situations and interacting with people aren't always confusing experiences to me. I think I function well, and can easily track a conversation and pick up on what others are intending to communicate. Though lately I've been calling this into question. I also wonder if I'm able to communicate naturally, innately, or if it helps that understanding communications and behaving in certain recognizable patterns is such a core part of acting, which is something I've been focused on for so long. Or my interest in acting maybe springs from concentrating on precise components of interaction... which came first, the chicken or the egg?

It's an interesting conundrum. I feel like thinking about myself as possibly a person with Asperger's has gone some way toward explaining some of my personality quirks, which is nice. However, I think it's possible to color otherwise innocuous behaviors, or behaviors that have other causes, as symptoms of Asperger's.

So what's your reaction to all this? Where should I go from here?

Somewhat related note: I've also been thinking about some of my older brother's personality traits in a new light, and I think a diagnosis of Asperger's might fit him as well. In many ways, even more so than it does me.

Thank you for reading my long post. I'm interested in seeing what the responses are.

Welcome aboard :)
image.jpg

Ok, so I'm female and I blend in really well. Not saying I'm not routinely referred to as, "weird," but I'm really funny so most people think I'm joking (I'm usually not). No one can tell you more about yourself than YOU can. I used to think I did well in social situations but then... I had to consider the fact that perhaps I don't REALLY know; I'm an unreliable judge of social interaction. I can think I KNOW what's going on but... Now I understand that I really don't. There's a saying that if you wonder if your child is autistic, well, there's a 99.9% chance they are; otherwise you wouldn't think that. Make sense? You can appear somewhat, "normal," but maintaining it is a different story.

Ok, so I'm female and I blend in really well. Not saying I'm not routinely referred to as, "weird," but I'm really funny so most people think I'm joking (I'm usually not). No one can tell you more about yourself than YOU can. I used to think I did well in social situations but then... I had to consider the fact that perhaps I don't REALLY know; I'm an unreliable judge of social interaction. I can think I KNOW what's going on but... Now I understand that I really don't. There's a saying that if you wonder if your child is autistic, well, there's a 99.9% chance they are; otherwise you wouldn't think that. Make sense? You can appear somewhat, "normal," but maintaining it is a different story.

That... makes a lot of sense. That's what I've been thinking recently. The instance the other day is what really made me question how sure I was about how well I was doing socially.

That... makes a lot of sense. That's what I've been thinking recently. The instance the other day is what really made me question how sure I was about how well I was doing socially.
:( frowny face because I feel your pain . I get where your coming from. If your on this forum you can (hopefully) acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, you don't. And that's ok; it's even liberating, in its own way. You can use this forum as a sounding board for stuff your unsure about:) that's the good thing!

These are so cool. I've seen a few of them in other intro posts. I love the vivid colors! Do you paint as a hobby?
Thank you :)
I do paint as a hobby and as self guided art therapy. It is very helpful.

I think you will find your story resonates with many people here (including me). I myself occasionally have flashbacks to those younger times, when I was so socially awkward/inappropriate but had no idea why. And no, not all of us are "numbers people," lol.

Hope you like it here. :)

wyv

:( frowny face because I feel your pain . I get where your coming from. If your on this forum you can (hopefully) acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, you don't. And that's ok; it's even liberating, in its own way. You can use this forum as a sounding board for stuff your unsure about:) that's the good thing!

Definitely! I guess I'm not too self-conscious about my behavior. But knowing how other people might be perceiving what I think of as normal is helpful.

I think you will find your story resonates with many people here (including me). I myself occasionally have flashbacks to those younger times, when I was so socially awkward/inappropriate but had no idea why. And no, not all of us are "numbers people," lol.

Hope you like it here. :)

wyv

Definitely starting to like it here, thank you.

So what's your reaction to all this? Where should I go from here?

Most importantly, you've arrived at the right place to begin this vexing, complex voyage of self discovery. And that you're not afraid to seek the truth, whatever it may be.

There's a lot here for you to read and interact with us to really determine if you are on the spectrum of autism or not, apart from a formal, professional diagnosis. Just be aware of one dynamic in particular. That "If you've seen one Aspie, you've seen one Aspie". We can all be similar in various ways every bit as much as we may be dissimilar as well. You'll find many of us are consummate introverts, as well as the occasional extrovert. In essence, that we can't be defined in a "cookie-cutter" fashion.

Welcome to AC. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom