• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi I'm a 47 year old woman just been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome

Hi I'm new here, as I have recently been diagnosed with Asperger's and I wanted to hear from anyone else who has also had a recent diagnosis and how do they feel now being on the spectrum is official.

Welcome aboard! I was diagnosed in March at age 33.
I am happy to know I am on the spectrum as it has explained so much about my self and my life. The emotional processing has/had stages for me, starting with joy and giddiness, acceptance, introspection, depression, denial, anxiety, comfort, settling down, anger and frustration, bargaining, and the list goes on. I started art therapy to help deal with things, and going to a therapist. It is a wild ride. This is a fabulous community with many kindred spirits and a friendly setting. Glad to have you around :) welcome to the rest if your life.

Hello Lorraine.

How I felt when my psychologist said she thought I was Aspie was relieved, it made sense.
I was not defective or faulty, I was just wired differently.

What a relief.

Hi Lorraine,

I was diagnosed a couple of years ago, at 38. Steph and Rocco sum it up beautifully. Initial relief and excitement at finally understanding why. Then a bit of a rollercoaster as you come to terms with it. I think it took me a few months to find my balance again.

Being somewhere like here where lots of people can relate, and you can read up and ask questions is really useful too.

Welcome to the club. :)

Hi, Lorraine. I'm 52 and not yet officially diagnosed. I would like to have the official diagnosis only for possible future benefits that might become necessary. Other than that, I'm confident in the fact that I'm on the spectrum. When I first realized I am an Aspie, it was a relief to know the reason for my differences from the majority of society. I don't have any feelings of being "not normal," because I don't know what "normal" is. "Normal" really just means "neurotypical," which is not something I care to be anymore.

Glad you found this place. It's a great place to help you understand AS. Welcome!

Hi, I am 32 and just got diagnosed a few weeks ago. A lot of people talk about relief but I don't feel like that probably because I was not even looking for answers. I was told by someone else they thought I may have it at first and then did an online test. I actually still even doubt whether I have it or not and find it very hard to believe, I tell people I have it when I do not believe myself. I guess my whole life I have had a lot of difficulties and struggled with anxiety but I had a difficult childhood and have got a mother who suffers from mental issues so that explained everything for me. Also I am not really all that quirky, I got told by a colleague at work they thought I was different cause I am a deep thinker but it's not such a bad thing.
Really I just wish I was normal and I hate anyone mentioning autism, I tell them I have Aspergers not autism cause I spoke at a normal age. Sorry to be so negative but got to be honest. But it's good that you have found out and hope you have a better quality of life now and happy for anyone else finding out.

Hi. I am 49 and self-diagnosed at 40. Depending how aware you have been that "something was up" with you throughout your life, the next few years could be very interesting. I had no clue what made me so different for most of my life, and only really began investigating well into my 4th decade of life. Read around. Yes, there's people here like you and many stories will sound incredibly familiar. People here are nice.

Thank you so much to all you lovely people who have taken the time to welcome me on here and share your thoughts; I really do appreciate it and I'm so glad I have found you all.

Hi Lorraine,
Welcome! I am self-diagnosed but I hope to get an official diagnosis at the end of this month. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist and psychologist. I feel relieved (like many have said) to know that I have AS and like I finally know why I am different. But I am glad that there are solutions for me to grow (to help me grow). I am glad you are here. Someone close to me thought I had AS about a year ago but I dismissed it (even though I knew deep down that I was) when a doctor said the symptoms overlapped with my OCD so she wasn't sure what I had. I have found lots of friendship and love here and hope you do too.

Hi Lorraine,

I'm 52, and although I have not had an official diagnosis, both my family doctor and my therapist have agreed that my self-diagnosis (from a couple of months ago) is almost certainly correct.

My reaction when I realised was ... "Oh, so THAT'S why I am as I am, and why a hundred and one different things have happened in my life. Now I understand it, I can act accordingly!"

Hello and welcome. I'm an adult with symptoms of high-functioning autism and I'm trying to sort this out and see what that means for me. Right now I am self diagnosed. It is quite a relief to see that there is a reason for the symptoms, characteristics and mannerisms that I have. I hope to eventually get an official diagnosis.

Last edited:
Hi Lorraine and welcome, diagnosed at 44 earlier this year. My feelings have ranged from relief to depression, anger, disbelief, feeling like a fraud - very mixed emotions but it's settled down a bit now. I didn't seek a diagnosis but got it anyway, but now I have it I am gradually accepting it and it's great to actually understand myself. After years of psychiatric treatment, I'm finally working out how I tick.

New Threads

Top Bottom