• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi everyone from Aus

Pete

Hello to all,

I've just been diagnosed a month ago. I had almost no knowledge of Aspergers beforehand, and I was a bit freaked out by the diagnosis, but now I'm feeling more relieved that I have some understanding for the social difficulties that I have had in my life. My name is Pete, I'm 48 and from Australia. I don't know anyone else with AS.

Since the diagnosis I have told two people close to me and I got fairly unsatisfactory responses from both. I am looking forward to reading through posts on this forum to get more knowledge and hopefully find some support too. Thanks for reading and hope to meet many of you here!

Pete

Hello to all,

I've just been diagnosed a month ago. I had almost no knowledge of Aspergers beforehand, and I was a bit freaked out by the diagnosis, but now I'm feeling more relieved that I have some understanding for the social difficulties that I have had in my life. My name is Pete, I'm 48 and from Australia. I don't know anyone else with AS.

Since the diagnosis I have told two people close to me and I got fairly unsatisfactory responses from both. I am looking forward to reading through posts on this forum to get more knowledge and hopefully find some support too. Thanks for reading and hope to meet many of you here!

Pete

Hey Pete :)

Welcome! I'm from Australia too. I'm self diagnosed, and have also met with some negative responses from family about it, but I'm hoping they'll come around one day.

Hope you find all the answers you're looking for here.

Hi pete,
From yet another Australian. And yes there is some stigma around Aspergers, from people who are uninformed.
Cheers
Turk

I am not surprised your self disclosure went badly. There really is no pressing need to label yourself ... better to leave the NT's guessing, especially as you are old enough to have picked up social rules. along the way.

Hi Pete,

I am 48 and from Australia as well.

My son is diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, but there was no knowledge of even HFA when we were that age.

Forums like this are a wealth of information.

Welcome to Aspie Central Pete, I was diagnoised with aspergers mid last year and I am also 48.

Isn't it amazing how so many of us who were diagnosed as mature adults learned to fit in with the NT world so well that the people in our lives doubt our Asperger's diagnosis? I'm as 56 year old woman who was finally diagnosed this year. Like you, I was amazed at how much of my life made sense all of a sudden.

Welcome home.

Isn't it amazing how so many of us who were diagnosed as mature adults learned to fit in with the NT world so well that the people in our lives doubt our Asperger's diagnosis?

Hi Pete and all, I managed to get through NT world until 25 when I was fed up with not having answers to my issues and got self diagnosed. Even my own mum who had read books such as "pretending to be normal", did not realise there was anything unusual about me.
Anyway I just moved to your beautiful Australia and finding it really stressful!

Hi, Pete. I am sorry your disclosure did not go so well. I was diagnosed at few months ago at 46 and have had challenges and questions around disclosure. It is a process-was for me in hearing the diagnosis and also for those closest to me in accepting it (or not). My husband has beed very supportive, and one friend, but for the most part disclosure has felt (fairly or unfairly) to be a bit of an egg on the face situation. Today my strategy is just to focus on self acceptance and getting out of my own way and trusting people who really matter will come along with me in their way eventually. Good luck to you---and let us know if you figure it out!

Isn't it amazing how so many of us who were diagnosed as mature adults learned to fit in with the NT world so well that the people in our lives doubt our Asperger's diagnosis?

This is definitely in line with what I've experienced. I've gotten a lot of:
"Yeah but if you had something like that you would have known as a kid."
"Yeah well a lot of those traits could describe me too."
"You seem fine enough to me."

Thanks for discounting years of being miserable and trying to be someone else/ learning to function in a world that doesn't get you at all. [directed at them obviously, not you]

Also, I was about to welcome the OP and then realised this thread is from quite some time ago...

Hi I'm also an Aussie and I found out last year that I'm on the spectrum,I also haven't told many and i only told my mum twice and she brushed it off and didn't understand it even though my older brother has autism,I hope you find support here and this site is able to help you.

Pete

Welcome to the forums.

People here, along with myself will be glad to help you and answer your questions. Make sure to enjoy yourself as much as possible.

Hello to all,

Pete
Hi from the UK. I think that a lot of people here can relate. I could see from my parent's reaction that they didn't really believe me so I haven't mentioned it again.

This is great place to get help and advice.

New Threads

Top Bottom