• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hey community whats up

Unspired

Hey I'm Jamie (male), 16 year old kid from Canada who's kinda concerned about the current state of the world and how it could easy collapse into chaos:eek: even though nobody else is. Anyway. In addition to being a moderate Aspie (self-diagnosed), I'm left-handed, no hemispheric preference in brain, and perceive language in the right-hemisphere (most perceive in left-hemisphere, even lefties).

All my differences seem pretty positive when I look at it, but living in this mind is getting difficult. I'd rather be more neurotypical to be honest.

I've always been classified as different since I was little, but never have been diagnosed with anything. I was a shy kid and spaced out 24/7. I got into the gifted program at school back in grade 3 despite my poor grades, and at one point I was in the gifted and special-help programs at the same time!

I pretty much always sucked at math. That is, until grade 9. For some reason I went from getting below 80s to 99s in math; something just made sense and it became easy. Like learning how to program or learning a new language for the first time, it just clicks at some point.

Oh I have hyper-sensitive senses. I can see clearer, hear better, and taste more than most people. Is that an Asperger's trait? As a result, I can hear any slight out-of-tuneness, and am a picky eater. (cheese pizza plz)

I'm kinda a lonely kid, mostly because I don't know how friends work haha. I wish I could just avoid all social situations, but I push myself to learn. I want to be in control of myself.

I always have been curious and questioned things. Since I was 5 I would ask about life and death, stars, concept of time, dimensions, etc.

At the age of 12, I stopped really questioning reality as much because I felt I knew all there was to philosophy. To be honest, I may sound cocky but I feel I know the best answer to any philosophical question (that is, if I could just word it right).

I also have depersonalization disorder; I hope that will fix itself with time. Likely caused from anxiety and troubling existential thoughts. I have a busy schedule at school (taking university courses and grade up in many courses) which I did of my own will to challenge myself more, but it may have been too much.

Sorry, I wrote a lot because I rarely have ever said any of this to anyone except my parents, who don't take it too seriously (they're doctors, seems counter-intuitive). But I hope I can get support from this forum and learn a bunch of interesting stuff about this condition and variants of it.

PS: I hate the look of this post, too boring and gray looking. If I wrote this last year it would most likely look more like Black's: /threads/blackkitsune13-is-here.5643/

Last edited:
Hi Jamie :)

Sorry to learn you're in a bit of a slump. A lot of the things you describe are pretty typical of being on the autism spectrum, including sensitivity to senses, and being withdrawn socially. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm no stranger to the phenomena behind depersonalisation disorder.

I definitely understand your concern for the state of the world; I think about it often, though try not to sometimes, as it can bring me down. I do have a curious nature though, and love questioning things, and learning how things work behind the scenes.

It's not abnormal for Aspies to struggle to find others to share our thoughts with, or to accept us for who we are, but you'll find it's more likely to happen for you here. We're quite a friendly, and encouraging community, so feel free to share, and ask questions; it's why we're all here.

Welcome to AC Jamie. Interesting to hear you bring up left/right brain lateralization. I was found to use 80% of my left hemisphere although I'm technically right-handed.

Hey, I'm in a similar situation too!
I'm 15 and concerned about real-world problems and being able to change everything, while everyone else is just concerned about their own "problems."
Actually, I'm also on the same page with the math situation, too.

-Molly :)

Hi Jamie and welcome,
You dont have to start your time here with an apology. You are an equal amongst us. Jump right in a take the edge of that loneliness, we wont bite.
Cheers
Turk

New Threads

Top Bottom