• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

kcooper

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and have joined because I am doing some research as part of my doctorate about autism and gender identity. I am really interested in how people with autism see their identity, and whether autism is an important part of identity. I am also interested in how women with autism see their autism identity and gender identity given their being in the minority in the autism community (as there are more men with autism), and have been labelled as having a condition of the "extreme male brain". I'd be really interested to hear any of your thoughts on these themes!

Kate

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and have joined because I am doing some research as part of my doctorate about autism and gender identity. I am really interested in how people with autism see their identity, and whether autism is an important part of identity. I am also interested in how women with autism see their autism identity and gender identity given their being in the minority in the autism community (as there are more men with autism), and have been labelled as having a condition of the "extreme male brain". I'd be really interested to hear any of your thoughts on these themes!

Kate
When I think of myself, the last thing I think of is that I'm white. Before that it is having aspergers. Though I cannot deny it shapes who I am. I feel like I'm a step ahead of most people. That isn't a great thing. I love that I see it my way, a superior way of seeing the world, but I cannot deny it has been a struggle for me as well. Because the world operates according to a set of standards and I'm never going to understand a lot of those standards. But I'm ok with that.

Hi Kcooper and welcome,
I cant speak for all but identity has always been an issue for me. Its taken almost a lifetime to work it out. Finding where the Asperger's stops and identity starts can be very confusing. In order to fit into an NT world, many of us alter aspects of ourselves, which inevitably brings about questions of indenty, at some point. Stick around as I'm sure you'll find out more.
Cheers
Turk

Hi there,

Kate
Are you asking how we see ourselves in the real world and then in the autism/aspergers world?

Welcome kate you will get a lot of help here.

there are quite a few women on the site as well as males.

New Threads

Top Bottom