• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello everyone.

Rexy

Obviously I am new here, and I am un diagnosed. I am getting ready to set an appointment. Anything I should know upfront or prepare for? Kind of nervous.

Picture is of me (glasses) and my friend on Christmas eve.

Attachments

• 20141224_183415.jpg
    20141224_183415.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 163
Hello Rexy,

You will find people here with mixed views of "offical diagnosed". Most people know themselves better than anyone else including psychiatrists. But many also find value in an official diagnosis.

I hope you find useful information at this forum. Many great posters and insight presented here.

Hello Rexy,

You will find people here with mixed views of "offical diagnosed". Most people know themselves better than anyone else including psychiatrists. But many also find value in an official diagnosis.

I hope you find useful information at this forum. Many great posters and insight presented here.

Thank you, Hessionear, I'll keep that in mind.

It's okay to be nervous, but it's really nothing scary :) Like Heissonear said, people know themselves better than anyone else or a doctor. Just answer all questions honestly and you will be fine!

I guess tomorrow you go in for your appointment. I was tested years ago, I don't know if you will have the same kind of testing. I saw the tester for several hours, once a month for three months. It was long and detailed. I thought a lot was boring though one part was fun and another very interesting because I found out something about my brain I didn't know. So nothing I say affect your testing I am not giving specifics. I was diagnosed PDD-NOS. The neuropsychologist described it as this, "Asperger's is a higher functioning form of autism and PDD-NOS is a higher functioning form than that." Her words, not mine and I don't know if all her peers would say the same but it's what she said. I was also diagnosed as having NVLD (non-verbal learning disorder) which I thought made sense. She also described a kind of depression, I forget how she put it, something about persistent mild to moderate.

Good luck with your testing. I hope you get a good tester. If you feel like talking about it after, let us know.

Wish I could offer advice, I have only an informal diagnosis based on clinicians' observations. But I hope it goes well for you. I am trying to decide about whether to go for a formal assessment so I will be curious to know about your experience there, should you choose to share with us.

Welcome!

I was told this first visit is going to be about an hour long. Mainly to tell him about my past and growing up to now.

I was told this first visit is going to be about an hour long. Mainly to tell him about my past and growing up to now.
Oh. My tester didn't ask me any questions like that. She mostly gave me tests though she did ask me about some things I noticed in her office. She had one clear thing, a bag, and it was bugging me because there was nothing else clear in her office. It didn't fit and I couldn't relax while I saw it. It shouldn't have been there (my brain kept telling me).

My job messed up my insurance information so I had to reschedule the appointment.
Sorry to hear that. I guess I was lucky, mine went right through when I asked. I hope you get your testing. If I had to do it again I think I would but I did not enjoy it. It was good to get some of the information I received.

Hello everyone, I know I have been gone for a while but I figured you all deserved an update. I managed to get my issue with work settled and became very busy with work and trying to sign up for school. So busy that I got overwhelmed and had a couple of anxiety attacks within a week of each other.
My human resources manager decided I should take time off work and seek further help than medication. I was able to see the therapist I contacted last year and have been seeing him for a month now. He has diagnosed me with High Functioning Autism, as I suspected. I mentioned this to my mother and she started telling me all kinds of things about how she thought I might have been on the spectrum but wanted me to grow up as "normal" as possible (without depending on medicine or needing a therapist).
Kind of funny how I end up needing it anyway, and I must say, my therapist is awesome.

Thanks to all of you for your welcoming arms and advice. I'm glad to be a part of this community. I am going to try to be more active and help if I can.

New Threads

Top Bottom