• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, Aspie World!

Hi everyone - My name is Lenny and I am a newly self-diagnosed Aspie. My hopes are to meet others like myself and to chat about life, the universe and everything. The values that I live by are honesty, sincerity, loyalty, fairness, acceptance and inclusion. I like spending time with loved ones, listening to music, going for walks, reading, pets and wild animals. Lastly, I am most definitely a computer geek and net nerd.
Hi Len, welcome to the forum. I am not an Aspie but my son is and I have learned so much from people on here. This is one of the only sites that really makes a difference. People are friendly and open. I have made friends on here and love it! For the first time since my son was little I have learned more about him than I have ever before just connecting the dots from everyone and it has really helped me understand and work with him in a more positive way. Hope you find it helpful also.

That pretty much describes me at the moment. The relationship that I lost was short-lived but it was the happiest time of my life. I had a beautiful woman that I love dearly standing by my side and promising that she would never leave me alone. Sadly that was not to be. We were unable to communicate effectively and as a result she felt completely alone. Now she is gone and I feel like I have been robbed of the most important relationship in my life. I know that I will get over her but right now the pain is excruciating. Once again I thank this community for reaching out to me in my time of need. In time I hope to give a lot back to this community.
It takes time. Maybe a lot. How long has it been? My autism made it so I can't have relationships, either. I thought I could in the beginning, but now I feel pretty stupid not to have seen it. No way I could have known. I mean, we all look human. How could I know that the way I live was unacceptable? I hope you can heal a lot here.

Welcome Len!

This community was a much needed place to share and learn from for me too when I was
diagnosed in my late fifties after my Mother died.
With no other family and a relationship of almost 20 years ending, yeah, I knew lonely like
never before in my life.

I always had a lot of pets too, then it was like I just didn't feel the desire after the losses.
An Aspie friend just went through much the same. Lost his Mother, no family, and lost his dog.
He was feeling the same about getting another dog and I told him how I was working through
those feelings.

I started out with small creatures. Weird things like frogs, a beetle farm, I raise super worms
and got involved with helping raise Monarch butterflies.
It was a start to letting things back into my life that weren't overwhelming.
He agreed.
You'd be surprised how keeping a pair of darkling beetles in a fish bowl on the table beside where
I eat helps me not feel alone. I watch them while I eat and drop pieces of bread into them.
Told you it's weird. But, it works.

I also like to garden, listen to music, watch a little TV, read interesting things online and of course
check in here nightly. :) :rose:

This was one of the most helpful posts full of practical advice. I am grateful and will try some things. I looked into the butterflies but it looks above my abilities. And I know I can't do beetles because I would feel them trapped in there. I would not let a creature comfort me at the expense of their freedom and life. Who knows if they are sad, but I would be sure they would be even if they are getting more food here than out in the wild.

I do garden, but weeds are a dilemma because they are alive. Sometimes on days I am feeling all transparent, I can feel bad about killing them. I had bamboo and if you have ever had it, wow......fight all the time. But it dawned on me that it was alive and I was killing it and I felt immensely bad. It was not hurting anyone by running all over the yard and taking over. It provides oxygen. I also have to battle wisteria all the time. I don't feel so bad about that because it reaches right over to strangle trees with roots the size of baseball bats!

I just hate that we all (all species) have to be so ego-central just to remain alive. I wonder what the best species to be would be. A fern by a large tree in the Amazon? Maybe the large tree itself? Then I would just need sunlight and maybe not too many would want to eat my leaves.

I know I have to draw the line at things that are dangerous to us because it's instinct.

All that to say I think you were amazing to find so many ways to connect to things other than human! I will just keep planting. I plant in water bottles and the earth and old cans and anything, really. Name it, I grow it. Some things don't grow well because I messed up, but other things do quite well.

Hello Lenny and welcome. Hope you enjoy it here - lots of very nice and friendly people.

That pretty much describes me at the moment. The relationship that I lost was short-lived but it was the happiest time of my life. I had a beautiful woman that I love dearly standing by my side and promising that she would never leave me alone. Sadly that was not to be. We were unable to communicate effectively and as a result she felt completely alone. Now she is gone and I feel like I have been robbed of the most important relationship in my life. I know that I will get over her but right now the pain is excruciating. Once again I thank this community for reaching out to me in my time of need. In time I hope to give a lot back to this community.

Really sorry to hear this. Communication is such a tough thing for us. I still stumble when l communicate then l beat myself up because sometimes l feel tongue-tied and over whelmed with emotion.

Last edited:
Hi Len, welcome to the forum. I am not an Aspie but my son is and I have learned so much from people on here. This is one of the only sites that really makes a difference. People are friendly and open. I have made friends on here and love it! For the first time since my son was little I have learned more about him than I have ever before just connecting the dots from everyone and it has really helped me understand and work with him in a more positive way. Hope you find it helpful also.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am guessing that your son was still young when he was diagnosed. With a loving mom to support him he has a real chance of learning how to live and love on the spectrum. I wish you both all the success in the world. I read your post while I was at work and it was my happy thought for the day. That may sound a bit weird but some days a single happy thought goes a long way for me. Thank you again.

It takes time. Maybe a lot. How long has it been? My autism made it so I can't have relationships, either. I thought I could in the beginning, but now I feel pretty stupid not to have seen it. No way I could have known. I mean, we all look human. How could I know that the way I live was unacceptable? I hope you can heal a lot here.

I would not write off the possibility of having an intimate relationship. There are aspies doing it every day. Remember, neurotypical and neurodivergent people alike have to put a lot of time and effort into maintaining their relationships. It comes down to being able to communicate effectively. Learn to do that and you have a fighting chance of success. Don't give up!

Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here, people are friendly. I am sorry to hear that your relationship has ended. I guess too I would respectfully disagree with the idea that an Aspie can't have a successful intimate relationship, plenty of us can and do, and indeed it sounds like you have had too. With your new awareness of autistic traits and brain difference, you are well placed to find strategies that work for how you are.

We were just discussing attachment styles too on another thread, as despite our autism we all have the ability to work on and develop our attachment security, which when you can disentangle it from autism a bit is a developmental system that is functional in neurodiverse people aswell as neurotypicals. Stay hopeful!

:sunflower::hatchingchick::blossom::hatchedchick::sunflower::blossom::cat:

You are right, shame on me for doubting myself. There were moments in my relationship when I was able to feel and show love very naturally. It was the lack of communication that resulted in our breakup, not the lack of intimacy. Thank you for setting me straight. In the end we are all much more alike than different aren't we?

It has been just over 24 hours and my introductory post has 27 replies. I have never felt more welcomed by any online community before. There is no word for how grateful I am. All I can say is thank you. I will be sure to pass along the favor.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am guessing that your son was still young when he was diagnosed. With a loving mom to support him he has a real chance of learning how to live and love on the spectrum. I wish you both all the success in the world. I read your post while I was at work and it was my happy thought for the day. That may sound a bit weird but some days a single happy thought goes a long way for me. Thank you again.
No actually he wasn't, we had him tested when he was about 28. He is 31 now. So it wasn't that long ago. I guess I never thought he would have been in the autism spectrum because he was so smart. He was a rather hard child to deal with. I am sure I did everything wrong! I tried to be loving but sometimes I just didn't know how to handle him. I had never even heard of Asperger's so it never crossed my mind that he could have that. (people usually mistake me for younger than I am, the picture on here was taken 3 years ago but I am 63) I think that looking back you could definitely see that he wasn't the same as my other children, I guess I thought he was my defiant one! lol I wished I had knew he had this when he was younger, I am sure it would have helped him more. He also has an auto-immune disease too which doesn't help his ASD either because he can't live a normal life of going out and having fun. Between the two it has pretty much kept him a prisoner in his house. BUT we are learning and trying best we can!

Hi everyone - My name is Lenny and I am a newly self-diagnosed Aspie. My hopes are to meet others like myself and to chat about life, the universe and everything. The values that I live by are honesty, sincerity, loyalty, fairness, acceptance and inclusion. I like spending time with loved ones, listening to music, going for walks, reading, pets and wild animals. Lastly, I am most definitely a computer geek and net nerd.

Hi, Lenny. R2xhZCB0byBtZWV0IHlvdSwgTGVubnku

No actually he wasn't, we had him tested when he was about 28. He is 31 now. So it wasn't that long ago. I guess I never thought he would have been in the autism spectrum because he was so smart. He was a rather hard child to deal with. I am sure I did everything wrong! I tried to be loving but sometimes I just didn't know how to handle him. I had never even heard of Asperger's so it never crossed my mind that he could have that. (people usually mistake me for younger than I am, the picture on here was taken 3 years ago but I am 63) I think that looking back you could definitely see that he wasn't the same as my other children, I guess I thought he was my defiant one! lol I wished I had knew he had this when he was younger, I am sure it would have helped him more. He also has an auto-immune disease too which doesn't help his ASD either because he can't live a normal life of going out and having fun. Between the two it has pretty much kept him a prisoner in his house. BUT we are learning and trying best we can!

I am so sorry to hear about your struggles. I read your post this morning and you have been in my thoughts all day. Now I am home and would like to offer some words if I may. It must have been maddening to not know what was wrong with your child or what to do about it. You are justified in having strong feelings about that. However at 31 your son is still very young and we are learning every day how to help people like him. I commend you for being here and seeking answers. That is a very loving thing to do. Also, please don't say that you did everything wrong. As long as you are by his side then you are doing it right.

Don't give up!

I am so sorry to hear about your struggles. I read your post this morning and you have been in my thoughts all day. Now I am home and would like to offer some words if I may. It must have been maddening to not know what was wrong with your child or what to do about it. You are justified in having strong feelings about that. However at 31 your son is still very young and we are learning every day how to help people like him. I commend you for being here and seeking answers. That is a very loving thing to do. Also, please don't say that you did everything wrong. As long as you are by his side then you are doing it right.

Don't give up!
Thank you Len, you are very kind! I guess we all look back and some things we wish we had done differently, but you do the best you can. My son was always very much to himself. Never said I love you or happy birthday or any of those things. Sometimes when I tried to talk to him, he just plain wouldn't answer me and I would say AT LEAST YOU COULD ANSWER ME!!!! That is just rude! and I would get a bit upset that he just didn't care enough to even answer me. Or like I was bothering him by talking to him so I would just leave his room. Now I understand that at times words just don't come to him, or maybe the brain is over worked and he can't answer right then. Those are the kind of things I wish I could have changed and understood him more. I don't think he understood why he was that way either. This forum has helped me so much to understand how Aspies are and what they think, how they feel and how they handle things. No doctors or psychiatrists offer that kind of information. This forum is a Heaven sent to me. For the first time I could understand him and our relationship has been so much better. I allow him to be him! He was diagnosed with ASD but very borderline, she didn't want to even categorize him as that because she said he didn't have some of the traits, and he was very intelligent. In the end she did write 3 things. ASD, avoidant personality disorder, and high anxiety disorder. Sometimes he still hurts my feeling but that is just the way he is I guess. He had gotten the corona virus (he lives with his brother now, they rent a house together) my other son had told me he was very sick and I said I would come and take him to the ER, he said NO! I don't want you near me, this is going to kill me! That was 6 weeks ago and he still won't let me near him because he thinks if I got the CV-19 I wouldn't survive it. He doesn't want me going out of the house because he said if you died I would walk right outside and shoot myself in the head because without you I have no reason to live. OF course I told him that his brothers and sisters love him and would help him so don't ever even think that way! But inside when he said that I knew I meant something to him even though he would hardly say it. I meant that much!!!! Understanding him now I know I mean something to him and that statement was much better to me than happy birthday mom. It was much deeper! of course sad too! They say there is a big difference between knowing something and understanding something. I agree and I am understanding more because of this forum and the people on here.

[...] My son was always very much to himself. Never said I love you or happy birthday or any of those things. Sometimes when I tried to talk to him, he just plain wouldn't answer me and I would say AT LEAST YOU COULD ANSWER ME!!!! That is just rude! and I would get a bit upset that he just didn't care enough to even answer me. Or like I was bothering him by talking to him so I would just leave his room. Now I understand that at times words just don't come to him, or maybe the brain is over worked and he can't answer right then. Those are the kind of things I wish I could have changed and understood him more. [...]

I would like to respond by trying to shed some light on what was happening in those moments. Not because I think that you don't know, but to help those in this community who face the same circumstances today. I have spent a lot of time thinking about what its like to be autistic, and I want to offer some insights to anyone struggling to understand an autistic person. As you know, human beings have an innate ability to communicate with each other and to draw certain conclusions based upon those interactions. In an autistic person certain innate abilities are either impaired or non-existent.

Its important to understand that for an autistic person communicating is a serious challenge. We are not unwilling to talk with others. We are unable. We cannot converse with other people and draw the same kinds of conclusions that they can. We feel like the whole world is talking in a language that we will never understand. The resulting isolation is not something that we choose. It is imposed upon us unless we can somehow learn to communicate.

The barriers to communication that an autistic person faces are too numerous to count. Unless we can overcome them, they lead to a level of frustration that cause shutdowns and meltdowns. Sadly those moments only serve to drive us even further into isolation. The person who coined the term "the hedgehog's dilemma" was probably talking about autistic people. The more that we try to get close to others, the more that it hurts when we fail. Some days it feels as though by asking "how do I learn to communicate?" I am asking a question for which there is no answer. Its critically important that we never allow ourselves to think that way. In spite of what it looks like autistic people do want to communicate.

So where does that leave us? It leaves us with finding ways to communicate. Begin with the smallest of interactions. I was in my 50's when I was finally able to say "I love you" to my mother. We were on the phone (more on that in a later post) and she was quiet for what felt like an eternity before she said "I love you too." After that we ended every phone call with "I love you." Those three words made me feel much closer to my mother. The reason that I offer this is to point out how the smallest of interactions can go a long way to connecting with an autistic person.

Look for opportunities to say little things to the autistic person in your life. Keep it simple at first with things like "I love you," "I care about you," "you can do it," "see you later." None of these require a response so they are nonthreatening. They allow the autistic person to respond in his or own time, and in his or her own way.

I have a lot more to say but I will stop here for now.

Last edited:
I would like to respond by trying to shed some light on what was happening in those moments. Not because I think that you don't know, but to help those in this community who face the same circumstances today. I have spent a lot of time thinking about what its like to be autistic, and I want to offer some insights to anyone struggling to understand an autistic person. As you know, human beings have an innate ability to communicate with each other and to draw certain conclusions based upon those interactions. In an autistic person certain innate abilities are either impaired or non-existent.

Its important to understand that for an autistic person communicating is a serious challenge. We are not unwilling to talk with others. We are unable. We cannot converse with other people and draw the same kinds of conclusions that they can. We feel like the whole world is talking in a language that we will never understand. The resulting isolation is not something that we choose. It is imposed upon us unless we can somehow learn to communicate.

The barriers to communication that an autistic person faces are too numerous to count. Unless we can overcome them, they lead to a level of frustration that cause shutdowns and meltdowns. Sadly those moments only serve to drive us even further into isolation. The person who coined the term "the hedgehog's dilemma" was probably talking about autistic people. The more that we try to get close to others, the more that it hurts when we fail. Some days it feels as though by asking "how do I learn to communicate?" I am asking a question for which there is no answer. Its critically important that we never allow ourselves to think that way. In spite of what it looks like autistic people do want to communicate.

So where does that leave us? It leaves us with finding ways to communicate. Begin with the smallest of interactions. I was in my 50's when I was finally able to say "I love you" to my mother. We were on the phone (more on that in a later post) and she was quiet for what felt like an eternity before she said "I love you too." After that we ended every phone call with "I love you." Those three words made me feel much closer to my mother. The reason that I offer this is to point out how the smallest of interactions can go a long way to connecting with an autistic person.

Look for opportunities to say little things to the autistic person in your life. Keep it simple at first with things like "I love you," "I care about you," "you can do it," "see you later." None of these require a response so they are nonthreatening. They allow the autistic person to respond in his or own time, and in his or her own way.

I have a lot more to say but I will stop here for now.
Thank you Len, I know that is what I am learning from this Forum. I think one of the biggest obstacles I had is simply not knowing that the brain is wired differently and seeing how he never really expressed himself or joined into a conversation much or explained how he was feeling or even the fact that I didn't know he could even be in the Autism spectrum all put blocks between us. Of course you love your children but it was really frustrating at time as far as how you deal with him. I had 5 kids and I tried to treat them all the same, when he picked on his brother I couldn't let one hurt the other one so he would get a whack on the butt or be put in time out but I wasn't getting through to him, he would just laugh or if he was put in time out he would just laugh and get up and walk away. BUT it wasn't always that way, there were times I asked him for help doing something and he would always help me. One time when he was 18 I think I was working at a car lot and he would come a couple days a week and do some computer input. Once when we had gotten home he had a bad day and was crying, I came in and said what is wrong? I said tell me what is wrong and we can fix it.... In his way he was trying to explain that he felt like nothing was real, I said what do you mean? IT wasn't like he was sobbing or anything but I could see tears in his eyes and something was wrong. I had never seen him cry before, he just never cried. Even when he broke both of his arms at 5 years old, he never cried. I really didn't understand what he was saying why nothing was real to him. Still don't understand that but it stuck in my head, why? I think now maybe it was just being disconnected to everyone? He tells me now that I don't know him, the person who I think he is doesn't exist since everything he did was only because of watching other people do it so he felt he had to but there was never anything inside him. He is a monster. I said no you are not a monster! but I hear other people on the forum use that term also. Which is also why this forum is so helpful! knowing other people feel that way too. or can maybe explain things better to understand why some feel that way?

[...]
I really didn't understand what he was saying why nothing was real to him. Still don't understand that but it stuck in my head, why? I think now maybe it was just being disconnected to everyone?

His inability to understand social settings would leave him feeling like an outsider. He probably feels as though he has to go along in order to get along. If you have ever been in that situation you will know that you feel like an actor playing a part. You are living in a world where nothing is real.

[...]
He tells me now that I don't know him, the person who I think he is doesn't exist since everything he did was only because of
watching other people do it so he felt he had to but there was never anything inside him.

We all want to be accepted as we are. When he plays that part that I spoke of he is not able to be himself. That is why he feels as though others don't really know him. If you think about it, getting to know anyone requires a lot of time and effort. In the end its a series of social interactions that allow us to get to know each other. For your son those interactions are difficult or even imposible. What you see of him is an incomplete picture of the person he is inside, and he knows it.

[...]
He is a monster. I said no you are not a monster! but I hear other people on the forum use that term also. Which is also why this forum is so helpful! knowing other people feel that way too. or can maybe explain things better to understand why some feel that way?

Before I knew I was autistic I would tell people "I am one of the most screwed up people you will ever meet." I said that because I was convinced of it. A lifetime of failed personal interactions and subsequent social rejection had taken its toll on me. I wanted more than anything to be everyone's best friend and I was actually hurting people in the process. In short I felt like a monster whenever I hurt people. Hurting others is the last thing that I want to do.

New Threads

Top Bottom