• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Having a surge of sensory over load?

D'Andre

OK bear with me, I'm new to this. I'm trying to rest but I'm so amped up. I feel EVERYTHING, I not sad I'm just sort of overloaded. Ive been pacing off and on the last couple hours. I have certain rituals like self holding and its just a hard thing to describe. Any feedback will help.

Physiologically, this can be a result of: (1) an imbalance of excitatory vs. inhibitory neurotransmitters, (2) an excess in "stimulants" (a coffee w/ 50mg caffeine vs. a energy drink with/ 300mg caffeine), (3) a large meal or an excess of carbohydrates causing insulin-related vasodilation,...swelling the brain, (4) some viral infections,...immune response,...vasodilation,...and swelling in the brain, (5) excessive neurological activity,...intense study, excessive social/communication, excessive emotional stress, etc.

Any one or combination of things can exacerbate the sensory symptoms,...usually due to swelling of the brain. Cerebral edema is not uncommon in the autistic population.

For me, sensory overload is directly correlated to my mental health state. Especially anxiety and sensory overload go hand in hand. They feed off of each other.

I’m always super sensitive to sensory stimuli, I’m just way better at ignoring them when I’m doing well mentally :)

I experience this, from my understanding it's the Hyper focus element of Autism. I've noticed that when I get that feeling of 'feeling everything' it appears to be when the hyperfocus turned way up, figuratively speaking.

In my opinion, Hyper focus is the whole paradox that is autism, from my experience, it can allow for extremely deep learning and obsessive interests; but I have found that when this 'hyperfocus' is on and I'm not participating in something that's keeping my mind busy, that this is when I 'feel everything' like my mind is overly stimulated by things and almost looking for some detail to hone in on. I find this can also be linked to things like pacing, or stimming.

The other times I 'feel everything' is when being in social situations, focusing on the words to much, or not being able to modulate noise properly with many conversations going on around me. Which makes me believe its also linked to the social difficulty traits of Autism.

Physiologically, this can be a result of: (1) an imbalance of excitatory vs. inhibitory neurotransmitters, (2) an excess in "stimulants" (a coffee w/ 50mg caffeine vs. a energy drink with/ 300mg caffeine), (3) a large meal or an excess of carbohydrates causing insulin-related vasodilation,...swelling the brain, (4) some viral infections,...immune response,...vasodilation,...and swelling in the brain, (5) excessive neurological activity,...intense study, excessive social/communication, excessive emotional stress, etc.

Any one or combination of things can exacerbate the sensory symptoms,...usually due to swelling of the brain. Cerebral edema is not uncommon in the autistic population.
I can't thank you enough for sharing that! I'll read on all these

I experience this, from my understanding it's the Hyper focus element of Autism. I've noticed that when I get that feeling of 'feeling everything' it appears to be when the hyperfocus turned way up, figuratively speaking.

In my opinion, Hyper focus is the whole paradox that is autism, from my experience, it can allow for extremely deep learning and obsessive interests; but I have found that when this 'hyperfocus' is on and I'm not participating in something that's keeping my mind busy, that this is when I 'feel everything' like my mind is overly stimulated by things and almost looking for some detail to hone in on. I find this can also be linked to things like pacing, or stimming.

The other times I 'feel everything' is when being in social situations, focusing on the words to much, or not being able to modulate noise properly with many conversations going on around me. Which makes me believe its also linked to the social difficulty traits of Autism.
Its surreal how much that resonates with me! Very helpful

New Threads

Top Bottom