• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you seen Froggy? Family trying to find boy with Asperger's 'best friend'

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
Have you seen Froggy? Family trying to find boy with Asperger's 'best friend'
froggyjpg-18b423b3ef45b43d.jpg

The search is on for a stuffed frog and "best friend" of a nine-year-old Great Kills boy with Aspergers.
By Kyle Lawson

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Friends haven't always come easy for Eddie Thabit.

The 9-year-old Great Kills boy has Asperger's syndrome, a disorder on the higher-functioning end of the autism spectrum that often complicates social interaction.

But his family said there has always been one friend who has listened to and comforted Eddie: A stuffed animal named Froggy.

On Tuesday, Froggy went missing.

"That frog has wiped his tears and eaten dinner with him," said his mom, Samia Thabit. "It was his one outlet to be able to talk about his emotions and feelings, which is very difficult for children on the spectrum to do."

Thabit, a single mother of twins, posted a photo of her son with the toy on Facebook, hoping it could be found.

The response has been overwhelming.

Facebook
The Facebook post has been shared more than 400 times and Thabit has been flooded with dozens of messages on social media -- from well-wishes to tips on where people believe they saw Froggy.

Before heading to work Thursday night, Thabit plans to drive around to those locations where people say they spotted the stuffed animal.

The search so far has centered mostly around PS 69 in New Springville, though one comment on Facebook placed the frog on Ferndale Avenue in Great Kills.

"When I told him we'd get another toy, he said, 'But I've told Froggy all my secrets.'"

Whether Froggy is found, Thabit said her spirits have been uplifted by the community response.

"I work nights, so sometimes you feel like you're in your own world," she said. "It's wonderful to know, especially as a single mom, that there's so many people out there who genuinely care about this toy."

If anyone has information about the whereabouts of Froggy, contact Samia Thabit on Facebook or at [email protected].

Source: Have you seen Froggy? Family trying to find boy with Asperger's 'best friend'
----
I hope Froggy is found soon.

Poor kid :cry: My stuffed animals/favorite toys were my best friends when I was that age too - still are, pretty much. I hope Froggy is found soon.

....On a related note, I'm heartened to read about how empathetic and supportive Eddie's mom is of her son's love for Froggy. :relaxed: Whenever I lost or misplaced a stuffed animal I considered a "friend" as a kid and became despondent, I was either scolded, ridiculed or told that "I was too old for that sort of thing anyway," and/or that "a stuffed animal/toy is *not* a friend." I'm glad that parents and other adults seem to be slowly beginning to understand just how important comfort items are for autistic people.

New Threads

Top Bottom