• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever had an obsession with people before?

TBH, they're all just labels with different connotations.
Just identify yourself by yourself. Not a label.
I think it's a bit silly when people go around insisting AS isn't a disability because it hurts they're ego or w.e.
Sorry if that was a bit obnoxious or bitchy but it's just how I feel.
EMZ=]

Hmm. You can't deny that it is a disability, because...it disables you, even if you only have it very mild and it's only disabling you socially. It's still disabling you. But, it's enabling you to see the world differently to other people, which is kind of beautiful really. I don't think I like how everyone else sees the world.

It's mental illness imo too...
I don't really think it matters what labels people place on it tbh. It's all just trivia in the end of the day.
But I've heard a lot of people go around insisting AS isn't a disability. Also hear people saying they're not retarded, they're Autistic and it's just like socially retarded or mentally retarded- you're still retarded :/. I just don't see why people think it's okay to make these boundaries... 'oh, I'm a bit ****ed up, but not that ****ed up'. How can we expect to gain acceptance from NTs when we don't give it too lower functioning AS people or LFA people, etc.?
This isn't aimed at you Willow.
TBH, I think I subconsciously try to get people to argue with me o_O.
EMZ=]

I don't see anyone with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder as socially retarded. That would mean we have a delay in our social development, indicating that we will catch up with everyone else eventually; it's more like we are socially disabled. Less able than others, and to an extent, always will be. It's not a mental illness because that implies that it can be cured. Which would make it a neurological problem, because we haven't developed the same as other people.

I personally think I'm perpetually behind socially. A lot of other people do too on the spectrum. Implying we are sort of socially retarded.
I just think that not saying we're not something is pretty stupid. I think most people who say that aren't worried about the classification at all but more the stereotypes of the labels. Which is just like, vain or w.e.
I don't have a problem with people who are seriously bothered about the classification, but it just seems pretty trivial to me and doesn't really matter.
EMZ=]

I didn't mean we weren't behind socially, just that the fact that we are behind isn't classed as retardation because wouldn't that imply that we could catch up eventually? Being behind socially is just something we have to live with, not something we can get better to the standard of 'normal' people. We can improve, just...never to the point where we are completely AS free.

'retard
verb |riˈtärd| [ trans. ]
delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment'
Do we have different dictionaries?
When you're mentally retarded you have an IQ of <80. IQ is relative to your age.
So you're perpetually behind.
EMZ=]

Perpetually behind. Sounds better than retarded but I guess it means the same thing. I can justify my reasoning in my head I just can't get it out in words. Sorry.

NP.
I'm not really bothered.
Retard is generally used in a derogatory context so I understand.
But for the sake of trivia, we are social retards :).
IMO.
EMZ=]

It differs from person to person, I guess. No big deal though, really, as long as nobody forces their beliefs on another. :)

It differs from person to person, I guess. No big deal though, really, as long as nobody forces their beliefs on another. :)
I personally don't think it's a subjective thing. The dictionary is an objective source to look for definitions.
It's not really an opinion that a chicken means:
chicken |ˈ ch ikən|
noun
1 a domestic fowl kept for its eggs or meat, esp. a young one.
• meat from such a bird : roast chicken.
2 informal a game in which the first person to lose nerve and withdraw from a dangerous situation is the loser.
• a coward.
3 informal (among homosexuals) an adolescent male.
(learn something new everyday[3]).
But I do think it's a trivial argument.
I was just trying to get my point across that people on the spectrum who try to separate themselves from others on the spectrum or with disabilities with derogatory terms such as, 'retard' are, imo, pathetic.
EMZ=]

I know, I understand both sides entirely, that was just my attempt to end said trivial argument. :p

Oh. LOL.
I didn't actually know it was an argument but sorry Willow if it was. LOL.
EMZ=]

My obsessions with certain females who I deem unique or amazingly special or even very similar to me has catastrophic effects. My will and emotions are turned upside down and I am completely at the mercy of that other person. The only thing that will save me is if they do something so heinously mean or uncaring that I \never want to talk to/see them again. But if not, th ehurt from this emotional attachment will continue to last far longer than after the girl rejects me or shows herself to be a totally different person than what she appeared.

My obsessions with certain females who I deem unique or amazingly special or even very similar to me has catastrophic effects. My will and emotions are turned upside down and I am completely at the mercy of that other person. The only thing that will save me is if they do something so heinously mean or uncaring that I \never want to talk to/see them again. But if not, th ehurt from this emotional attachment will continue to last far longer than after the girl rejects me or shows herself to be a totally different person than what she appeared.

You put it better than I could, I have the same thing! Strange!

I've been fascinated with a certain person since I got talking to them four years ago.

I have had obsessions with people before. They are usually just crushes and I don't do anything odd in terms of pursuing these people, I have never bothered anybody, but thinking about them absorbs my life-- I don't think about anything else, ever, in that time. Now that I have a boyfriend that doesn't happen anymore, but I had an obsession from 6th to 8th grade, 10th grade to 12th, and then my freshman year of college. You have to be VERY careful about maintaining your distance from a person when they become an obsession, it gives them a very dangerous position of power over you. My last person obsession turned out to be a very bad person, and my obsession stopped me from seeing that and I ended up getting assaulted, and I was so brainwashed by them that I didn't understand what had happened to me and he got away with it.

I agree with the person that said it isn't a sexual obsession, it isn't for me either. It's not even really romantic, though it does stem from a crush of sorts.. it just spins out of control from that and eventually stops having anything to do with wanting a relationship with that person. It's just like being obsessed with anything else. I don't want to have sex with my political science textbooks either, but I am obsessed with them. I know it sounds very strange, but to me a person and a book don't turn out that different once they become an obsession.

THANKFULLY nobody ever knew I had these fixations with them. I never knew obsession 1-- he was just a classmate, obsession 2 I actually dated but he had no idea how obsessed I was, and obsession 3 had an idea but I am sure he didn't think it was anything behind a normal infatuation.

So you dated them and you're saying they had no idea at all? I think I would give the other person a little more credit. Nt's are going to know these things unless they are totally clueless. I find it hard to believe you can shut that off to the point the other person isn't going to see at least a little.

-sean-

I don't see anyone with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder as socially retarded. That would mean we have a delay in our social development, indicating that we will catch up with everyone else eventually; it's more like we are socially disabled. Less able than others, and to an extent, always will be. It's not a mental illness because that implies that it can be cured. Which would make it a neurological problem, because we haven't developed the same as other people.

Retarded is just usually a small minded person's word and a way of rationalizing his own lack of knowledge of what the hell he is talking about when it comes to others not like him. While some people are actually retarded, the word gets used way too much and out of ocntext.

-sean-

New Threads

Top Bottom