• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever built your own PC?

Pink Jazz

I would like to know, have you ever built your own PC?

I build my own PC at my house, and two weeks ago we upgraded to an Intel Core i5-8600K and Gigabtye Z370 HD3P motherboard.

I usually have them built for me (typically at the Fry's). If I tried to do it myself, it'd be a hideous disaster. Something would end up in many, many pieces. I'm not quite sure how, but it'd happen.

That being said, I did get a new PC about a week ago. Intel core i9-7900X, ASRock X299 Killer SLI/ac motherboard (whatever any of that means, I know nothing about motherboards) and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI. And some damn silly amount of ram and SSD space. And whatever else. It's meant for gaming and VR.

The problem: The price was absolutely absurd. Granted it wasnt really MY problem. Whole thing was my father's idea. I think he's nuts sometimes.

And just looking at this crazy thing (it sits on my desk and has one of those transparent cases. Lots of glowing, because apparently that's a thing now... seems a bit odd to me, I still remember when computers were these huge blocky monsters that just made assorted loud noises instead of glowing or making toast for you or whatever), I gotta say: I have ALOT of respect for those who truly build them on their own. I really do. I have trouble just putting in a new stick of RAM (last time I did that, bad things happened). Let alone putting together... whatever the hell this thing is made of. All these wires and blocky things and whatever the pulsing red thing in the back is. It's just... so complicated. And confusing. So yeah, anyone that can build a PC of any level is very impressive by my view.

Tell me: How long does it take to put a modern PC together? What sorts of things go into this process?

Fry’s is a funny name for a store that sells electronics.
Like Panic Airlines or Suffocation Pool Supplies. Lol.

I've only upgraded the GPU in my PC (GT420 to a Gigabyte GTX1050ti), just ordered a SSD the other night.... hoping to get something more powerful Soon

Current Specs are:

i7-2600
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM (2GBx4)
GTX 1050Ti
1.5TB HDD, Intrnal
2TB HDD, External
(Soon to be) 240GB SSD for my C: Drive and at least 1 game

Eyeing up this potential Build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.61 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($220.24 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.38 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($122.00 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($257.04 @ Vuugo)
Case: Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.82 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Total: $1372.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-02 00:38 EDT-0400

minus the GPU of course, would simply re-use it

Last edited:
Tell me: How long does it take to put a modern PC together? What sorts of things go into this process?

Depends on your level of expertise; some people it takes only an hour, others a few hours or more if you're new

It's stupid easy as well along with tons of Guides (Paul's Hardware, Bitwit, Linus Tech Tips, JayzTwoCents, and Austin Evans all have great guides) to help

Put the CPU in the socket on the motherboard, then mount the Cooler (use thermal paste before hand if it needs it, though many Coolers come with some pre-applied already but many prefer to use better stuff like Kryonaut), put the RAM sticks in their designated slots (typically 1st and 3rd slots, or 2nd and 4th slots if the motherboard has room for 4 sticks, otherwise just the lone 2), then you stick the Power Supply and any Storage Drives in the Case, mount them, mount the Motherboard into the Case, Install the GPU, hook everything up to the Power Supply whilst doing Cable Management, turn on the power supply, turn on the PC, install your desired OS via USB (typically Windows or Linux, though most will also Dual-Boot MacOS alongside Windows in the case of a Hackintosh)

And all you need during the whole thing is a Phillips screw driver and Anti-static wrist band, though a good alternative is to just keep the power supply turned off and plugged into a Grounded outlet, touching it every once in a while if needed

I've built multiple computers for myself and other people since childhood. On the rare occasion I've purchased a ready-built pc, I've ended up taking it apart and bolting new parts on. I also find it very theraputic to open my computers up every now and then, thoroughly clean the interiors and put them back together. I also love fixing software issues. It's like a combination of sudoku and Lego.

I had mine custom built, with a huge amount of storage space for my digital music collection, but I didn't build it myself, don't have the confidence to try to do that. It's a work computer, not a gaming computer.

Built two machines.
Both have problems. The oldest machine are surprisingly the best of the two machines.

I'm also planning in upgrading my machines next year when I move.
I'm planning to move both my machines to 4u rack cases.
Also putting in a AMD CPU with a compatible motherboard on my old machine.

Asus TUF X299 Mk 2, Skylake-X i7 7700K hex core, 32 Gb DDR4 2666, two M2 drives, Nvidia GTX1060 OC

I like to know exactly whats in my Box plus there is satisfaction in making the beast come to life.

I've been building my own PCs since the late 80s. In most cases using the best components, so when I tossed out an entire system it was only because of technical obsolescence.

On occasion I lament at throwing out my last Windows 3.1 computer, but the truth is that I only would use it by taking it out of my closet once a year for a little computer nostalgia that usually lasted no more than a few minutes.

Though in reading this thread I was reminded of those heady days when my main system was a 27 inch tower with six 5.25 and two 3.5 drive bays. With every ISA slot filled, sometimes with components I really never needed. And in an era without plug and play, so all those IRQ and DMA channels had to be manually- and carefully assigned to avoid any conflicts. Of course back then all those components sticking out on the motherboard also restricted airflow...so I always ran any number of quiet fans to compensate.

Geez, nowadays everything is just a couple of PCIe slots. With motherboards a fraction of the size of the ones I once used. Oh well...:p

Physically putting the hardware all together usually only took a couple of hours. Configuring the OS and tweaking all the software, quite a bit longer.

Last edited:
I like upgrading my desktop every now and then when I have the spare cash, it's one of the most expensive processes, especially if you plan to build a gaming pc. Because of the costly nature of having a gaming pc that can keep up with the demands of technology, I use consoles for gaming and my pc for everything else.
It's very satisfying to open up the pc and clean it out knowing you will have a super silent machine once you're done (I don't clean it out all that often since it's a bit of a process to take it apart and rebuild it, I have to get myself a larger case).

I've built most of my own desktop machines. It's quite a straightforward process as long as you've got reasonably steady hands and half decent eyesight. No matter how many times you do it, it's always a satisfying feeling the first time you boot it up :)
I need to do a motherboard & CPU upgrade sometime soon. I built my current workhorse a couple of years ago for gaming and media and it does a good job, but now I'm doing alot of video editing I need a beefier CPU and maybe more solid state storage too.

Anyone with any PC building nostalgia would do well to check out the "LGR" channel on YouTube. Loads of interesting retro gadgets and components you either owned or couldn't find/afford at the time.

Started building my own about 12 years ago, completely self-taught with the aid of a few tutorials and a lot of research. It's pretty satisfying once you've got everything pieced together and all the necessary software installed and running, I can say that much.

The whole process is almost foolproof once you've got everything you need and all the steps figured out. My builds usually take an hour or so, and this includes putting it all together, setting up the OS and installing all the necessary drivers and software. Everything has its place and function, and everything goes into its place (e.g., you won't be putting a stick of RAM into the PCI-e slot reserved for a GPU or sound card). Installing aftermarket CPU cooling or watercooling, routing all the cables and any troubleshooting that may need to be done can be a bit tricky, but it's all well worth the time and investment when your system is up and running smoothly.

My dad used to build computers. He was traditionally very much into AV equipment, had a lot of very high end stereo equipment & TVs. Computers were a natural segue for him. I used to help but I was far less interested in it than he was. There are times when I wonder if my dad was on the spectrum too. That would explain some things...

I want to, but I don't have a job nor money. I plan on using the desk in the room that used to be my brother's to contain it. I have a wooden desk that's unsuitable for a gaming modern gaming setup, especially if I want to make it look aesthetically sound. Also, my brother's room is smaller, so it is more easily padded so I can reduce background noise in my vids, as well as yell louder when I make YouTube videos. I don't even need to go to a music store to buy the padding. I just need an old, heavy blanket (which I have), some pieces of cardboard to put on the walls (my garage is absolutely filled with boxes, so I'm good), and most paper can absorb noise quite well, even if it's not stacked.
I do want to have a double or triple-monitor display setup, and monitors raise the price of the setup a bunch.
Also, I have been interested in computer and technology since... Only heaven knows when, so I would love to build my own gaming rig sometime in the future once I have a job and more cash. I'd most likely build it as a reward for all of my work.

Last edited:
Love building PCs, built a few in my past but the price of getting them built for you is really economical so haven't bothered with my last PC.

Replaced the GFX card and OS SSD though

New Threads

Top Bottom