• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Half NT, Half ASD on Aspie Quiz but Official ASD Diagnosis

Has anyone here, who has an official clinical ASD diagnosis, scored somewhat NT on the Aspie Quiz? My Aspie score was 112 and my NT score was 114. It said I'm both broad autism spectrum and neurotypical.

Some of the questions, though, were strange and vague, and I didn't know how to answer them. For instance one of them was do you prefer one-on-one with people you know or in small groups? This can't be answered with "No/never" or "Always/often" or "A Little" because it's referring to two possibilities: one-on-one, OR small groups? There's also a question about ditching friends if they don't share the same ideals. How the F am I supposed to know that when I don't have friends? Then there were some sex related questions that simply don't apply to me; several answers were "I don't know," which could've brought down my autism score. I had to say "No/Never" to the question of do you wring your hands, twirl your fingers or rub your hands. But had they asked, Do you press your fingers to your other hand and rub your nails and fingers to your skin, I would've answered "Always/Often," and this would've given me an autism point.

I guess that a true NT wouldn't have racked up 112 autism points?

Anyone else who was CLINICALLY dxed ASD gotten a diffuse or 50/50 score?

Yes, me. I was offically diagnosed by a "expert in autism" and at the end, of the session, as he confirmed I have aspergers, my husband said: does that mean she has autism? He replied: no, you do not have autism; you have aspergers ( made me laugh inwardly, since I probably know more than he).

I took the online aspie quiz a few times, from here and always scored with aspergers and then, when I when to see a neuroscientist ( not sure what she was in truth), she got me to do the exact same quiz and I found that also funny and as you say, some really strange questions. But, as I got to know more and more about aspergers and thus myself, each time I retook the quiz, I got to understand more.

I mean, I did not think I got into obsessions and my husband said that I had to be kidding to suppose I do not, as he felt that I run in and out of them all the time and I had a sort of light bulb moment.

I got grade 2 veering towards the beginning of grade 3. So, I guess, on the higher range of grade 2

I also asked not to be told of my IQ, as I did not want to feel haunted if it was low.

that's part of the issue with being Aspie, many questions have multiple answers the major flaw with multiple choice tests, in particular IQ tests. Life is not that simple if it was general theory of relativity, and quantum mechanics would meld seamlessly. It will take an out of the box thinking Aspie to sort this out. Einstein, DIrac, just like it did in the past. We are all part of a continuum, NT and autistic.

I assume you mean the RDOS quiz. I got a borderline score on the last one and it mostly talked about relationships. Im married of course and I've been placed on the spectrum since 6th grade.

I noticed that some of the questions on the Aspie Quiz were probing for ADHD/ADD, which is common in autistic people. But I don't have ADD/HD. I'm wondering if this was why my autism score was 112. If an autistic has ADHD they'll answer positive for those questions, plus for any that probe for executive dysfunction (mine is normal). I'm thinking of retaking it but pretending I have ADHD to see how much this jumps the score.

Autism isn't a single set of traits exhibited equally by everyone. The diagnosis is an inherently subjective call. Whether you get diagnosed is often a roll of the dice that depends on the particular psychologist or which test you happened to take and how you felt that day. Test scores often mean next to nothing because of the way the questions are worded. "That depends on what you mean by (fill-in-the-blank)!"

Autism itself ranges from so slight as to be unnoticed to so profound you can't exist independently.

When I diagnosed it was borderline, but they still came to the conclusion that I'm HFA-1

I think the fact you are confused over the questions you mentioned is prove that you’re autistic.

For instance one of them was do you prefer one-on-one with people you know or in small groups?
I read this as “Do you prefer one-on-one or small groups with people you know?” Lacking context, I could be wrong, but it made more sense to me that way.

There's also a question about ditching friends if they don't share the same ideals.
For NTs, it’s very rare that we don’t have any friends. Maybe not close friends, but at least a closer acquaintance (which some people might consider a friend). Also, I think most NTs would have a “hunch” on whether or not they ditch friends in some situations, even if it has never happened. Strange thing is, I think I read somewhere on the start page that Aspies took part in putting that quiz together, but it looks like it’s still a bit confusing?

Anyways, it also seems like the majority of the quiz asks for behavior. Me being the introverted NT, I scored higher on Aspie social than NT social (both scores are pretty low tho). But a lot of the things I do for social interactions are common for introverts.

Edit: I meant to say Aspie and NT relationship, not social.

Last edited:
I literally just posted a status this morning about how I am officially diagnosed with Aspergers, but I scored overwhelmingly neurotypical on the Aspie quiz (176/200 NT and 33/200 ASD.)

Don't know exactly how to interpret that, lol. Although I have always felt like I was probably autistic but "exceptionally" high-functioning, and extroverted.
I feel like I have too many intense special interests and talents and I'm too weird to be considered legitimately NT.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers at age 3 or 4 because I was an "extremely intelligent" child (I could read when I was around two years old, and kindergarten was way too easy for me so they had to accelerate me), and I was completely socially inept as a child and even in Pre-K, other kids would harass me or hit me or run away from me screaming. I was bullied to the point of having a phobia of going to school, from Pre-K up through college level.
But I am the complete opposite of a gifted adult lol. I don't think many people in my real life would consider me intelligent.

It just baffles me that I scored so much higher in the NT category because I was bullied horribly my whole life due to being perceived as autistic.
And I answered all the questions honestly, not "masking."

Obviously I will clarify that I don't believe that autism is something that can be "cured" or "matured out of" but is there anyone else who has noticed a drastic decrease in symptoms, and being perceived as autistic, from childhood to adulthood? Could I have been misdiagnosed?

Obviously I will clarify that I don't believe that autism is something that can be "cured" or "matured out of" but is there anyone else who has noticed a drastic decrease in symptoms, and being perceived as autistic, from childhood to adulthood? Could I have been misdiagnosed?

Even though I was only diagnosed a few years ago, my symptoms were like 1,000% worse in childhood. You couldn't pay me to go back in time and experience it all over again due to the sensitivity / intolerance to everyday textures, outbursts, meltdowns and all of that stuff.

You definitely could've been misdiagnosed, but my best guess is that your symptoms just lessened in adulthood like they tend to do with HFA. There are a lot of people who were diagnosed during childhood who don't even identify with it anymore, but I guess that part is probably just a personal preference because... what is the truth?

Even though I was only diagnosed a few years ago, my symptoms were like 1,000% worse in childhood. You couldn't pay me to go back in time and experience it all over again due to the sensitivity / intolerance to everyday textures, outbursts, meltdowns and all of that stuff.

You definitely could've been misdiagnosed, but my best guess is that your symptoms just lessened in adulthood like they tend to do with HFA. There are a lot of people who were diagnosed during childhood who don't even identify with it anymore, but I guess that part is probably just a personal preference because... what is the truth?

That sounds like it was awful, I'm sorry :(
My symptoms were also 1000% worse in childhood. Thankfully I never really had the sensitivity to clothing or tags or being touched or anything like that, but I did struggle socially. The worst part is that I was even extroverted as a child, and I would approach other kids wanting to be friends with them, but they found me unbearable and always ended up picking on me and making me cry.

I didn't fully realize that symptoms lessen over time with HFA. I'm obviously wrong but I was always under the impression that autism symptoms were something that *could* improve, but mostly stayed relatively static. My special interests are something that have stayed static and have never lessened, for my entire life.

There are also a lot of misconceptions about autistic women, so someone who looks at me and sees that I'm relatively well-dressed and have good hygiene and have long hair and tattoos and stuff would probably assume that I was NT because there are so many harmful stereotypes about autistic women being "ugly" or "dumpy." I hear the "young autistic girls dressing like a grandma/crazy cat lady" stereotype SO often amongst NT friends and family and it's really frustrating.
There is actually a whole subset of autistic teenage girls/young ladies who are super into makeup and hairstyling and fashion (usually more alternative/off the beaten path fashion) and I think they look amazing!!
So some of those stereotypes might affect quizzes like that too, because I feel like women with autism are probably more likely to be extroverts (than men) and therefore have "better" social skills, so the results might be skewed. A lot of the stereotypes about autism are based on stereotypes about MALE autism.
There still isn't a whole lot out there about autistic women except for stereotypes and I think we would definitely benefit from more research and awareness.

Why so much emphasis on diagnosis, in situations like mine it does not really matter. most people see me as an introvert more than an Aspie, and most do not care. My being bright is what they observe first, or how bright my family is if they meet the rest of the family .The only time I concern myself about being on the spectrum is on this site as I enjoy the interplay with others like me, sort of like hanging with my family.

Luca, what are your special interests that make a strong case for you being genuinely autistic? I've noticed that when women post their SI's on these boards, they just sound like common regular interests like "my puppy," "makeup," "gardening," "reading," etc. Well OF COURSE a puppy/dog is an intense interest! What woman doesn't cherish her pupster? But to me, SI's are esoteric, weird, strange, or....the level of interest is REALLY INTENSE, like for instance, some NT women are into ponytail fashion. In my case, I go goo-ga when I see a big ponytail in public. I vocally stim over the thought of MY big ponytail and having seen badass ponytails on other people. I'll stare at big fat ponytails in public as long as I could get away with it before someone thinks I'm creepy. I've taken videos of my backside swaying my head to make my fat ponytail sway back and forth to just watch the videos....mmmm, so wonderful and soothing......

Luca, what are your special interests that make a strong case for you being genuinely autistic? I've noticed that when women post their SI's on these boards, they just sound like common regular interests like "my puppy," "makeup," "gardening," "reading," etc. Well OF COURSE a puppy/dog is an intense interest! What woman doesn't cherish her pupster? But to me, SI's are esoteric, weird, strange, or....the level of interest is REALLY INTENSE, like for instance, some NT women are into ponytail fashion. In my case, I go goo-ga when I see a big ponytail in public. I vocally stim over the thought of MY big ponytail and having seen badass ponytails on other people. I'll stare at big fat ponytails in public as long as I could get away with it before someone thinks I'm creepy. I've taken videos of my backside swaying my head to make my fat ponytail sway back and forth to just watch the videos....mmmm, so wonderful and soothing......

My main special interest is, yes, dogs… but to a level that is totally abnormal by NT standards. I have a career working with dogs (I’ve gone through pretty much every level of dog training certification), I’m registered as a preservation breeder, I compete in pretty much every possible dog event, for the most part I only hang out with other dog trainers and people who compete in dog events, I constantly research and memorize things like breed standards, coat color genetics, history, etc… that’s why I consider it a “special interest” and not just an “interest.” It goes way beyond just being like “I have dogs and I love dogs.”

I’m not complaining btw, it gives me a sense of purpose!

I have other special interests but I have difficulty explaining them properly because they’re more unusual.

Luca, I bet you're extremely fascinated and knowledgeable of how all domesticated dogs are descendants of wolves--as a result of human intervention that began about 20,000 years ago when migrating people let wolves hang out with them: a win-win situation, as the wolves warned of snakes and bears, but stuck around to get food scraps from the people, and over time, people "favored" the friendlier wolves, who survived better due to the food scraps, thus passing on their "friendly" genes......and over time, natural selection that was imposed by these primitive peoples, resulted in gradual genetic mutations, creating dogs! I know, off-topic, but I just had to info dump a little.

@Autisticool -

A while back Luca posted a picture of her bookshelf in another thread. To say that Luca has more than a few dog books would be a gross understatement, and she probably makes many supposed dog experts look like uneducated hacks.

She’s a professionals professional.

Mini-Info-Dog-Dump -

The original book with the title ‘Best in Show’ (1958) was written and illustrated by Harvard graduate Fred Gwynne. If the name sounds familiar it should. Among his many roles, he was Herman Muster on the show ‘The Munsters’.

@Autisticool -

A while back Luca posted a picture of her bookshelf in another thread. To say that Luca has more than a few dog books would be a gross understatement, and she probably makes many supposed dog experts look like uneducated hacks.

She’s a professionals professional.

Mini-Info-Dog-Dump -

The original book with the title ‘Best in Show’ (1958) was written and illustrated by Harvard graduate Fred Gwynne. If the name sounds familiar it should. Among his many roles, he was Herman Muster on the show ‘The Munsters’.

I'll bet Luca agrees that the top of a German Shepherd's head is the softest part and feels like VELVET. I used to have a WHITE German Shepherd. But back to this damn high NT score on my Aspie Quiz. It unsettles me. I'd rather be a perfectly made Autistic than a messed-up NT.

New Threads

Top Bottom