• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings and salutations

jamhd

Hi to all, I am a 35 year old man in Canada and a veteran of the Royal Canadian Navy.

I was diagnosed as Level 1 Autism last year after a nightmare dealing with "mental health care" in the military.

The diagnosis was a relief after some of the things that I have experienced and I am here to get integrated with and learn from the experience of others.

It is difficult to find people with common ground in real life and I was pleased to discover that this forum exists.

Welcome to AC. I never served in the navy...but I was born and raised in it. :p

Strange to think though for so many years I attributed my social anxieties to having had to move around a lot, never being able to develop or maintain friendships for very long. To only discover in my mid fifties that the source of such things were to be found "elsewhere".

I was lucky. I stumbled onto my own autism more or less by accident. Since then it's been something of a quest and an obsession to learn more. Hope you find this site as valuable as I have in interacting with my own kind.

I am proud of what I did in my time in the navy, but am glad that I am done with that and have my unfettered right to free expression back. There are some serious issues that need to be addressed and now I can assist with that.

Hey jamhd Welcome. Canadian also, with a Father who was navy in WWII, his difficulties were never even considered after the war.

Let's hope that Veteran's affairs will one day catch up with the difficulties of Vets, and break into that huge amount of money that they put away for someone's rainy day. And help the people who really need help.

Hey jamhd Welcome. Canadian also, with a Father who was navy in WWII, his difficulties were never even considered after the war.

Let's hope that Veteran's affairs will one day catch up with the difficulties of Vets, and break into that huge amount of money that they put away for someone's rainy day. And help the people who really need help.

I live in Ottawa and have observed standing committee meetings and talked to legislators. I am cautiously optimistic.

However until they acknowledge that most veterans' issues emanate from the broken military culture, more and more people will be pushed out in a damaging way and the problems will continue to compound.

However until they acknowledge that most veterans' issues emanate from the broken military culture, more and more people will be pushed out in a damaging way and the problems will continue to compound.

Military culture. Ugh....perhaps one of the most intransigent of cultures in most any society. :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom