• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Google Chrome

I wasn't a fan at first but I like it on my new computer, old one not so much, and while I have issues I think I have less with it than anyone other program I use. I find it less of evils personally. What do you use instead?

There are a few complaints that Chrome tends to mess up playback with youtube videos.

The reason; Chrome has it's own player to playback these videos. And if you also have Adobe flash installed (which seems mandatory for webbrowsing) Chrome conflicts with the regular Flash player.

There are ways to get around it by disabling the Chrome player, and it's fairly easy to do, but that might totally depend on how good you are with computers.

Disable PepperFlash in Chrome - Enounce for those who have these issues and might to look into it. I hold no responsibility if anyone screws up though ;)

I've not run into any of the aforementioned issues, but I can speak from experience that if you are on an older computer, with not so much memory, Chrome is NOT the way to go--it tends to be a bit of a memory hog.

My experiences with Google Chrome haven't really convinced me to switch; I still use fire fox on my PC.

I think

I still use Chrome for browsing and whatnot since most of the sites I visit aren't compatible with IE. If I want to watch YouTube videos, I'll open IE and watch them through it. I've not seen any improved speed or anything with Chrome. I just use it because several sites have told me to upgrade my browser or use Chrome, Firefox, etc.

Thanks for the input, King!!! I kept having problems with YouTube videos and Chrome, so I Googled and learned what the problem was, or at least that I wasn't the only one with the problem. The fix, however, was another thing. Rather than create mayhem, I found it easier to open IE and watch YouTube videos through it. I appreciate your "fix", but like you said, ". . . depend on how good you are with computers." This formula might help, Sportster + Computer problems = meltdown.:confused:

Well, there's older computers and then there's mine. The one I'm using is probably ten years old, maybe a little older. It was given to me seven years ago by a friend at church and he had it probably a couple years before that. In fact, he was shocked I was still using it when he visited me a couple months ago. Hmm, perhaps that should have told me something. If I try to watch YouTube videos through Chrome, I will often get the "blue screen of death," so I'm certain I don't have enough memory. I'm afraid I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new machine . . . UGH!!!
Did your friend give you a Mac or PC Sportster? I usually use Chrome because it works great on my Windows PC, but Chrome didn't do so well on a Mac I used at a library (Safari worked great then). YouTube otherwise should work great on Chrome since Google owns YouTube.

It's a PC, ancient by today's standard, which may be why I have so many problems when using Chrome. My machine doesn't like Chrome and the sites I visit don't like IE. AC will not operate correctly if opened in IE, but everything works fine in Chrome. If I watch YouTube videos on the YouTube site in Chrome, I get the "blue screen of death" after about the third video. It's a given I just need a new machine. More memory would probably help, but I'm not sure if they even still make memory for my machine.

Even Google's Chrome support for Windows XP is supposed to end in April of 2015.

Yep...new machine. I don't see you updating the hardware on the old one and running Linux. It's an option and a decent one at that, however you have to know what you're doing to achieve it.

I'd just recommend staying away from Windows 8 if possible....it's a mess IMO. Plus it's already known Microsoft is working on a new OS to replace it. Seems their operating systems are much like Star Trek films. Every other one is good or bad. :eek:

Windows 7 may well be my last Microsoft OS either way.

I have been using Google Chrome for many years and haven't had any issues. I am on relatively new hardware though.

I've not heard anything good about 8. Best Buy has a few 7 machines, so I'll probably end up buying one of those. I hate to spend the money, but I think it's time . . . UGH!!!

I hear ya. I made the switch last year...figured I'd buy me some breathing room. Didn't care for the expense....but it was nice to see that after so many years I could still build my own PC from scratch.

I've seen Windows 8 up close and personal I would never own it.

Even Google's Chrome support for Windows XP is supposed to end in April of 2015.

Yep...new machine. I don't see you updating the hardware on the old one and running Linux. It's an option and a decent one at that, however you have to know what you're doing to achieve it.

I'd just recommend staying away from Windows 8 if possible....it's a mess IMO. Plus it's already known Microsoft is working on a new OS to replace it. Seems their operating systems are much like Star Trek films. Every other one is good or bad. :eek:

Windows 7 may well be my last Microsoft OS either way.

I have a Win 8 partition for gaming and haven't really had trouble with it, but to be fair, I'm coming at it more from Linux distributions that have switched to the Gnome 3/Unity paradigm, so I'm used to the whole "hit Windows/Super key, type stuff in, launch app" workflow, and I don't really run Metro-capable applications (and in those cases, that's where a second monitor comes in handy, because it only takes over one).

The biggest issue is the massive paradigm shift required by users of older versions of Windows. It does do better on systems with touch screens, though, where most of the gestures are more natural. Compared to some of their versions, it's not the worst I've seen, though. Win7 is a rock solid version, though, and still a good choice for people for whom 8's paradigm shift is too daunting.

I have a Win 8 partition for gaming and haven't really had trouble with it, but to be fair, I'm coming at it more from Linux distributions that have switched to the Gnome 3/Unity paradigm, so I'm used to the whole "hit Windows/Super key, type stuff in, launch app" workflow, and I don't really run Metro-capable applications (and in those cases, that's where a second monitor comes in handy, because it only takes over one).

The biggest issue is the massive paradigm shift required by users of older versions of Windows. It does do better on systems with touch screens, though, where most of the gestures are more natural. Compared to some of their versions, it's not the worst I've seen, though. Win7 is a rock solid version, though, and still a good choice for people for whom 8's paradigm shift is too daunting.

Yeah, I'm am pretty curious about the next version they're working on....supposedly to shore the gap between handheld and desktop devices. I just find Windows 8 utterly user-unfriendly on a desktop platform without a touch screen. What my cousin reluctantly purchased recently.

Yeah, I'm am pretty curious about the next version they're working on....supposedly to shore the gap between handheld and desktop devices. I just find Windows 8 utterly user-unfriendly on a desktop platform without a touch screen. What my cousin reluctantly purchased recently.

I found that 8.0 was horribly unfriendly in a non-touch environment, but 8.1 fixes a lot of the big issues. It also helps to know a couple of the shortcut keys, like win+i to get to the little side pop-out menu, and that you can do win+(start typing the name of the application you want) to open an application.

I'm curious, too, what they'll come up with in the next version.

I almost exclusively use Firefox with the following addons:
Ghostery to see who is tracking me and block them.
Better Privacy to protect against different types of cookies including long term and super tracking cookies.
Block Site to black list and permanently block certain sites.
No Script to block java and javascript for all sites except ones I choose to allow.

I do not trust Google and rarely use it for searching. The Duck Duck Go search engine does not track or save my web searches and is just as good as Google for 99% of searches.

These modifications also protect me from malicious software.

I do not do anything illegal nor do I believe anyone would be interested in my rather boring internet usage. However, I strongly believe in privacy and think it is none of anyone's business what I do on my computer.

Note: Google Adsense and Google Analytics tries to track me on the aspiecentral website.

Last edited:
While I personally cannot stand Chrome's interface, the fact that the browser is closed-source is enough for me to not want to use it. I also avoid using Google for searches. I prefer startpage and ixquick. I'm not a huge fan of DuckDuckGo. I used to use NoScript on my browser, but I haven't been using it for a while.

New Threads

Top Bottom