• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good books for learning Java, Python, and Linux?

ajmilam93

I'm trying to learn as much as possible about computer programming, and I desperately want to learn these three languages. So far, I've learned the basics of computers, and I've signed up to take an A+ certification test. For me, the next step is learning the languages. I have a basic understanding of Java, so I'd find a book with both beginner and intermediate information useful. I'm still a novice in Python and Linux, so for those I need a book that starts at the beginning. Does anybody have any suggestions? I only want to read books that have recently updated their information, as technology is continuously changing.

Far as I remember, Linux was an operating system and not a language :)

For Java or Python though, there are way too many online tutorials - if you'd rather not spend the money on a book that's possibly outdated of course, because programming languages are being constantly revised so whatever you'd find on a bookshelf might not be applicable today or even two years from now.

I'd like to learn Java and Python as well, as I've got some experience in C/C++, Pascal, several BASICs and a bit of assembly but I found Java hard to swallow due to it being exclusively object oriented. I mean, I took Java courses back in high school and passed with like a C+ or something :(

Try using the book series "Teach Yourself Visually", I hear this series is better than the series with the black and yellow cover (Dummies). The "Teach Yourself Visually" series has books on Java, Linux and Python. You can get it in Barnes and Nobles, online or borrow them from your local public library.

I just type my question into Google and up pops a message board somewhere, where somebody posed the same question and somebody else answered it. Typically stackoverflow shows the answers to my questions. The difficult part is getting the first program to do anything.

Well, first of all, Linux is an operating system, not a language. That said, generally, the best way to learn Linux is to just install a distribution and dive in. If you want to learn how it works, from the ground up, you can try Arch (it can be tough, but most users say it's worth it), if that's too daunting, then i recommend starting with Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

As for the actual languages that you mentioned, is there a particular reason you chose Python and Java?

Regardless, i can't really help with java resources, but I highly recommend the site learncodethehardway.org for learning the basics of Python, and, if you're interested, Ruby, regex, SQL, and a few other languages. Codeschool.com is also a good resource, but many of the courses require you to pay (just fyi).

I usually find e books using this Google search term "parent directory" index of pdf (or ebooks) Linux or whatever subject your searching for. Another way and if your looking for a specific ebook or pdf is name of book filetype:pdf or ext:pdf

New Threads

Top Bottom