• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going to therapist even If I had already a solution?

Jorg

Well, yesterday I had a meltdown, I was just too angry and anxious because I get frustrated trying to be social, a friend left me and that justs added more anxiety. Well after several months with the idea I just concluded that if trying to fit in society and being social just f**cks me up I have to ignore the social environment and isolate myself to reach my personal goals.

I just deactivated all my social networks accounts and I don't want to try to speak to anyone else if is not college/job related. Well my psicologist (whom helped me in something yesterday) told me she wants to make an appointment because we have a lot of things to talk.

I'm not sure of keep going, I know she will just say alot of obvious things and make me try to be more social, and I just don't want to make friends, I need to focus in graduiating from college and reach my goals which don't include anyone else. I'm not the kind of guy who hould want to get married, not even want kids (I just can't stand them).

I don't know you personally, so I might make some assumptions that aren't true. If so, I apologize in advance. I think it would be a good idea to make an appointment and talk to your psychologist anyway.
Your message sounds angry and frustrated (which is relatable, given how incredibly draining trying to fit in is) and while I don't think that's the reason you should see her, I think she could possibly help you navigate your way through these feelings and help you channel that energy into more productive things (such as graduating). Anger and frustration aren't the best partners to help you attain your goals.

Then again, in my experience, seeing a psychologist when you don't even want to be there isn't too helpful. You need to want to be there for yourself, not because they want to talk to you. Either way, good luck.

I'm sensing hostility in your answer, and I'd like to help try to alleviate the "negativity," but I don't know if it will work.

I'm someone who is usually quite comfortable in social situations, and I'm also quite at home in most surroundings, although there are exceptions for all of us.

My therapist explained to me that many people on the spectrum experience anger about (or within) their issues. I've never felt that way, but I have interaction with a few others on the spectrum who always speak in an aggressive manner.

Sometimes, people will react to your tone, rather than what you say. EVEN if what you say is perfectly accurate, they way in which it's presented can be mistaken.

Part of socialization is learning how to react to others. Many on the spectrum (especially those with few visible social skills) hear the message, but not the intent.

I admit that I do that, as well. If someone contacts me via text or e-mail, and doesn't speak to me directly, I always tend to be "on the defensive," when reading the communication. It's usually not intended to be received the way I "heard" it in my head, but I immediately go to the "worst case scenario."

If someone speaks to me in person, and I can hear their voice/tone and watch their facial expressions, I am usually relieved to learn that it was a misunderstanding on my part that made me feel frustrated (I don't use hate or anger, because they are reserved for very few people).

That being said, from my background, training, and upbringing with parent(s) who were very possibly on a lower level of the spectrum than myself, I needed to find a way to express exactly what I meant, and wouldn't be taken the "wrong way."

When I discovered (thanks to great teachers) that I had a natural ability to write (I think a teacher told me I wrote the most convincing Collection Letters), I decided to do that.

As a writer, I've learned how to "describe" situations so that most anyone who reads or hears my words understands what I'm saying. Often, especially in Q&A forums, my posts are quite long, because I "explain" the reason for my answers (usually).

They get wordy, just like this. So, your therapist will help you to determine exactly what caused the meltdown and how you might be able to foresee an occurrence in the future. It's possible that you'll have things to remind yourself to stay focused, or can do to calm the situation.

Therapy is not just about pushing you to be social, but how not to let things upset you enough to cause a meltdown.

One of my social anxieties is that I hate speaking on the phone (unless there's someone I obviously want to talk to). I know *how* to use the phone, I teach others how to use the phone, and when I'm on the phone with someone I'm polite, respectful, and I know how to get things done (if it's a professional call).

One therapist decided to "force me" to make a call to someone while I was in his office (just to motivate, I guess). He seemed surprised that I handled the call with no difficulty whatsoever. I had to repeat to him that I know HOW to make a call, I just don't want to.

If you don't want to socialize, you don't have to. But wouldn't you rather at least be "less upset" about things? I have never experienced (personally) being upset all the time, unless it was something extremely personal. But, I welcome people into my circle whether or not they care to socialize.

Just be yourself, and do what you want, but therapists have a way of helping us calm down that others just can't do (any most of them really do care about their patients).

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom