• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going through.... Something.

Sami Eder

Not quite sure what to call this, but please help.
My husband was diagnosed with aspergers when he was very young. I've known him since we were very young. I think he had counseling at a young age, but after middle school it stopped. Once he graduated he joined the Army, treetop weeks after he signed his rangers contract he had an accident and hurt his back. They soon after discharged him and stripped him of everything. After he came back he started using drugs...some worse than others. Through this time he and I circled rather in the lake of love. One of us never ready for a true commitment but both of us knowing we ultimately wanted to be with one another. He's been in and out of half way house and detention centers and prison. And through it we wrote to each other. after this last time we finally decided we were going to do it, get married. Right before that I found out I was having my first cold, my son Tristan. He is now almost a year... In march. Since this all happened my husband, Gary has made some major accomplishments. And I am so proud. He's gotten a more than full time job. Working sometimes almost sixty hours a week. He also decided to go to school for emergency medical technician. That is treetop nights a week from 6-9 pm. He also took on the bills himself. I am primarily a stay at home mom. I only work eight hours a week.
Now the part I need help with.
Lately Gary has been really distant. Doesn't come home right after work like he used to. He's constantly on his phone. He won't talk to me and last time I asked him what was bothering him, he said "everything is on his shoulders". After thinking on that I took responsibility over the bills. A few days after that he was late to come home, so i called him., he was very mean and rude, even telling me to shut up. I could hear people in the backround... It really hurry me, although i haven't told him that. Then when he came home late a few nights app I asked him where he was and he got defensive and irritated. I told him I was worried about him. Not trying to keep tabs on him or something like that. I told him I'm here to help him, we're partners. Since then he's continued to come home late... His daughter is wondering where he is... I think she misses him. I don't think he's even seen Tristan in a few days. He's home after he goes to sleep, and leaves before he wakes.
I'm not sure what he's going through, but I told him the other night I'm here for him, and even have thought to write him a letter... Hoping it wouldn't be so intrusive and sound so demanding. I'm just not sure.
On top of all this I'm a very insecure person. Always afraid there's some one better than me he will find and take all I love. And then to top it off I called his adopted sister and she told me he's talking to other girls and other things he's thinking of, that I don't dare say. It's treating me up inside. But I love him, always have and always will.

Sorry my son hit the post button. But the end of this is that I am thinking of starting counseling. And if I get into this I'm worried they're going to want him to come. And he has no time with work... So is it even worth it? Talking and feeling ate treetop of the hardest things for an aspie, that I've learned. And those are what is hurting I'd right now.... I just don't know what to do. Please help, any suggestion no matter how small..... I'm so scared I'm going to lose everything.

If he cares about you, he'll make time for counseling sessions, even though it may be difficult.

He's so stubborn though. And thinks he's fine. I'm afraid he'll just say screw it and leave it as is. I'm scared to do anything really.

Hi Sami,
Just to put some perspective, on the term working hard. For many years, I held the view, cos I worked 60 hrs a week, that I had a right to complain, when I thought my wife wasnt pulling her weight. Oh how wrong I was.
The reality of work for many of us, is that its easier than the uncertainty of real life. A mother and homemakers job is twice as hard Sami. When raising a child there is no clocking on or off, and on top of that the hours of maintaining your home. You have the most important job on the face of the planet. Yes he may have Aspergers but dont let him, make you think, he is getting any harder deal than you. Ive been there and I still see that stupid narrow minded man, looking back from the mirror. We all need to be held accountable for our actions and that can only happen when were educated enuf, to see how very flawed our perceptions can be. Knowing he has Aspergers and managing it are two different things. Hes a father now , and its time to man up. Some form of counseling, where a third party can, bring you both together, on common ground.

Cheers
Turk

Thanks for that Turk, it's put a smile on my face to hear that. It's my daughters birthday today. She's ten now. :) Gary stayed home this morning until he absolutely had to leave. Had coffee and watched a few videos on YouTube. He was here, so to speak. And it almost brought me to tears. He went and woke our son up early to see him to. And he and I just had general conversation. :) I've been doing stuff Gary I did before I got so stressed. Making him coffee in the morning, making dinner and making sure he has leftovers, wether he eats them or not. Lol maybe he's starting to see again. Still some work to do but I'm happy this morning and he seemed in good spirits, and my kids are happy. That's what counts to me. My family.

If he cares about you, he'll make time for counseling sessions, even though it may be difficult.

Sorry I was so negative in my comment back to you, I realize that if he wants this to work he will change and make time and do what needs to be done. I've started writing him a letter, something personal between us that we've done for years and I think I will touch more on it personal issues there. Where he hopeful won't feel so attacked than if I do it verbally. My mom says I'm reading to much into his aspergers affecting everything. I hate to make it sound like I'm labeling him or blaming it all on his AS but it always comes back to it as the root of the issue. Why he won't/can't communicate like a "normal" person. Why he says/does things, but doesn't realize how hurtful he is being. To him it's just his personality and how he is. And if you don't like it f you. But I know that's not always the case. He can be the sweetest man I know. It's there I've seen it. :)

AS being the root of the issue doesn't really change much. Your husband needs to come to accept how his behavior hurts you---though your mother may have a point. This isn't something that can be handled with force. It requires more patience and more time. So don't give up, and try not to make him feel like he's being boxed into a corner. I know this isn't easy.

My boyfriend isn't autistic, but I am, and I've done lots of stupid things. Anybody else would have probably dumped me long ago. But it's because he's been honest and patient with me that I've been able to grow emotionally.

Ereth,
I am trying so hard to be patient. I know that's what a big party of this us. I also know he needs to realize what his actions and words do/mean. And how he hurts me. I want to put it in the letter I'm writing, but I'm not sure how to say it without him thinking I'm jumping off the deep end and maybe being over dramatic. I know I can't force him to do anything. I just would like to learn how to.... Cope sounds like the wrong word. But how to live with this and help him as much as I can. I feel like in this scenario I don't even know how to say it... What I need To say. I'm thinking I'm going to try and finish the let ter tonight and see. I know I cannot force him, but I have to try. I want nothing but the life he and I always dreamed of.I hope he sees that I'd why I am doing this.ours not to hurry him or make him feel dumb or anything.

New Threads

Top Bottom