• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

getting stuck

VioletHaze_03

Nerdling (Fledgling nerd)
ever since i was little, i would instantly get infatuated with a topic and then be able to talk about it for hours. for example, when i was 12 years old i loved bird-watching, owls in particular. i would drone on and on and on about owls, and soon my grade seven class hated me. i couldn't control it, owls where the only thing i could speak about. whenever i had a chance to talk, my wealth of knowledge took over and i couldn't stop myself. sometimes getting stuck would lead into a meltdown, because i might fixate on something i couldn't have. now i get stuck on a range of topics, but i still can't talk about anything outside of that. if i add a new topic to my range, i will lecture about that topic until someone tells me to stop talking, then i'll go on to another one. i've driven many away, and i've killed many conversations by reciting useless facts. sometimes i tell people things i've told them before, and recite past conversations because i can't remember i said that. does anyone else get stuck in this way? and if you had, has it had a negative impact on trying to make friends, or any other relationships?

I'm literally "not allowed" to discuss finance (stocks) with my cousin or brother. Need I say more? :(

Yeah. We get what you're saying. One of the realities of our Aspie existence....

Last edited:
ever since i was little, i would instantly get infatuated with a topic and then be able to talk about it for hours. for example, when i was 12 years old i loved bird-watching, owls in particular. i would drone on and on and on about owls, and soon my grade seven class hated me. i couldn't control it, owls where the only thing i could speak about. whenever i had a chance to talk, my wealth of knowledge took over and i couldn't stop myself. sometimes getting stuck would lead into a meltdown, because i might fixate on something i couldn't have. now i get stuck on a range of topics, but i still can't talk about anything outside of that. if i add a new topic to my range, i will lecture about that topic until someone tells me to stop talking, then i'll go on to another one. i've driven many away, and i've killed many conversations by reciting useless facts. sometimes i tell people things i've told them before, and recite past conversations because i can't remember i said that. does anyone else get stuck in this way? and if you had, has it had a negative impact on trying to make friends, or any other relationships?

The only way I can really talk to people is when I am talking about my special interest, machines. I worked for many, many years as a field service technician. When I was done with a job, I would take my paperwork to the customer for a signature. They would almost always ask "What was wrong with it?" or "What did you do to fix it?. That is the wrong thing to ask a Aspie. I would explain until I noticed that they were getting uncomfortable and had no idea what I was talking about. I always thought to my self, "If they did not want to know, why did they ask me?".

I have trouble directing the topic of conversation away from my special interests and I will talk about my special interests until the other person actually gets angry and/or tells me to shut up.
I can sometimes talk about other things, or have "normal" conversations, but the topic always ends up getting redirected to my special interests in the end. It's rather hopeless to think that I could manage to not talk about them.

Oh yes!

My husband says there is only so much he can take with my incessant chatter and the fact that apparently I do not pause or have full stops.

Sadly, I can get very heated when I am talking about a fact that I know people are not aware of and yet should be and as soon as I get disagreement, because they are bogged down with false information, I can feel myself getting hotter and hotter; but thankfully do not go into a full meltdown.

Judging by the potential friends I could have that never get in touch etc, I guess they do not like my knowledge. I am told that I happen to be very bombastic.

I got obsessed with ebola and it was actually that point that I realised something was not right. I did not even think I got into obsessions, but I could taste that word and my head would shoot up when it was mentioned and I got a thrill of pleasure when people spoke about it. I was so interested and it was partly fear too and I felt that the more knowledgabe I was about it, the more I could help others calm down.

Do not feel that I retain useless information though; because I enjoy pracical things.

My topics of conversation are actually varied, but it is true that I could bounce from one to another without ceasing. But, hey, what is so boring about that lol

My passion right now is business and accounting and even more fascinating since I am useless with figures, but have a fantastic calculator :p

It can be a pain but it can help you socially. For example when I wear my Harry Potter top people will start chatting with me about Harry Potter which is something I have vast knowledge on and feel comfortable to talk about.

New Threads

Top Bottom