• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

. . .

V.I.P Member
Have any of you read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series? If so, what do you think of it? Do you find it brilliant? Are you one of the many who consider it to be superior to Lord of the Rings (seemingly half of all people who've read it prefer it to Lord of the Rings)? I swear, it seems like everyone my age who reads books, regardless of whether they enjoy fantasy or not, have read and love this ****ing series!

9780553103540.RH.jpg
9780553579901.RH.jpg
9780553573428.RH.jpg

I read George R. R. Martin's old-school sci-fi many years ago and was impressed by it, but was wary to check out A Song of Ice and Fire for three (mostly pretty stupid) reasons: 1. The series has a cheesy name. 2. Most writers gradually get suckier and suckier at writing (George R. R. Martin has been writing professionally for about 40 years now; I was convinced that his earlier sci-fi, which I enjoy, would be of much higher quality than A Song of Ice and Fire) 3. Most sci-fi writers who attempt fantasy really suck at it.

But after hearing many people talking about it I decided to buy the first three books in the series as people were really starting to pique my curiosity. There's no chance in hell I would've been able to sign this out a library due to its extreme popularity and even if I was lucky enough to loan it I wouldn't be able to finish it in time before having to return it to the library, so I said "what the hell" and bought the first three volumes in hardcover format.

The series has been in my book queue for a while now but I was finally bold enough to start reading it. Just in case you didn't know this series is massive which is why I'm "bold" enough to read it. The third book in the series, A Storm of Swords, itself is as long as the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy(!).

I started reading A Game of Thrones last night and am impressed by it so far. I've a feeling that I'll end up loving this series. If I like the first three books in the series enough, I'll get A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. I didn't buy AFFC and ADWD because I want/need to save my money.

New Threads

Top Bottom