• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Frustrated with my messy home!

I'm fighting with myself internally about this issue.

On the one hand, I'd like to get rid of the clutter and live more simply. Fewer kitchen gadgets, pairs of shoes, I still have a lot of my baby toys in the attic "just in case". I hate all the junk we have sitting around. HATE IT.

However my dad was something of a hoarder of "useful" items (glass jars, bits of scrap material, etc) and being raised that way and also now living in his old house makes it really hard for me to get rid of those things. Because as much as I hate to say it, some of the random crap he's kept has come to be pretty handy! Plus boyfriend and I are mild preppers, and I like to have spares and extra stuff on hand in case of something like a natural disaster.

This was something I was going to address in my post earlier. A lot of stuff I have is for the same reason as you, just in case. I like to be self sufficient in my garden so I have lots of jars and bottles. We have evacuation boxes at hand in case of bushfire (we are in a rural town in a high bushfire risk area). I sometimes run a market stall and sell my produce or craft items, and I need to store them between markets. It's hard to prioritise!

This was something I was going to address in my post earlier. A lot of stuff I have is for the same reason as you, just in case. I like to be self sufficient in my garden so I have lots of jars and bottles. We have evacuation boxes at hand in case of bushfire (we are in a rural town in a high bushfire risk area). I sometimes run a market stall and sell my produce or craft items, and I need to store them between markets. It's hard to prioritise!

It really is! I think what I need to do is bite the bullet and invest in some decent organizational options. Maybe then it would feel less cluttered but still have my spares if I need something.

I struggle with mess and clutter. I too like everything in its rightful place. My wife tells me she wants the house to feel like a home. I get where she is coming from, she doesn't want everything to be clinical. Unfortunately I like stuff to be where it should be and I like the decor to make the house feel airy and spacious. Over the years I have managed to relax a bit more with the kids rooms. I understand it is their space and they have to feel a sense of control there. I only tend to ask them to tidy up once a week and try not to look the other 6 days!

I'm also very lucky. I am about to have my garage converted into a "man cave". I can't wait. My wife has been very keen to have this work carried out. She thinks it will be good for me to have my own space to watch football, listen to music and drink beer. I'm just going to have to put up with it!

I'm actually looking forward to being able to organise it exactly how I want it and be able to put all my records and book etc where I want to keep them. I reckon it'll be the cleanest and tidiest room in the house.

I have never been good at housekeeping and I discovered this at the worst possible time: college when I first had roommates. I have struggled over the years. I do long for a house that is picked up and clean. I have 2 sons who also have aspergers so between the three of us we are pretty hopeless at picking up, cleaning after projects and meals etc. I get overwhelmed by things that are left out. I don't know where to start so i tackle a small piece only to find that the small clean piece has been undone by one of the boys. B I have a couple of techniques I've read about and applied and those things make me feel a little better. I've finally decided to bring in some cleaning help a couple of times a month. It is just not one of my strengths as an aspie and that's OK~

I am terrible at housekeeping. I do prefer things to be clean and organized, but for some reason mess doesn't ever annoy me enough to act. It's like the benefits of living in a clean, organized place don't outweigh the torture of cleaning.
:weary:

New Threads

Top Bottom