• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Flashbacks/traumatic events/martial arts?

Gee, teachers that actually participated in the bullying? That's like saying "bad cop," "dishonest accountant," or "crooked judge," as those are people that don't exist; at least not in the perfect world. I, too, had teachers in school that egged others on when they should have been stopping the bullying. One time in art class while working with clay, I turned the lump over not realizing there was a knife in it. The knife went through the clay and into my hand. The teacher literally made fun of me and wrote out a sarcastic note allowing to me to go the nurse. A girl in the class thought what he did was horrible.

The bullying will forever haunt me, but the thing that exacerbates the memories and puzzles me is why those that were supposed to protect and teach didn't.
Yep. Some teachers are the worst as my math teacher was a complete jerk. She would also mock me in front of the class. What was weird was that she gave the trouble makers the most respect even though I never participated in the students antics. I wasn't innocent, but I kept quiet and was shy most of the time. Seriously, I honestly thought it was a zoo full of chimps. (I think Darwin was wrong, some humans are devolving lol)

Sometimes bullies only respond to a disporportionate response. This finally happened with me and I snapped. I hurt the kid badly but that was the end. He feared me after that.

That's the response I got; however, not only did the kid fear me, but most of the people in the school. They thought I was some sort of nutcase. I didn't mind as long as they left me alone.
Sometimes fear is a good thing! It helps people know their place.

Does anyone get flashbacks? I mean from bullying in high school, work place, and even college. Over the past 9 years, I've had trouble sleeping at night due to high school bullying. At first, I thought it was just me, but whenever I've done research, I have found that they are studies to support people with autism are more prone to being bullied than neurotypical people. ( I wasn't diagnosed at the time, although I knew I was different.) Here's my lil' story: I dropped out of public high school (a topic for another time) for skipping and I planned on getting my GED since I noticed 'neurotypical teens' in school were just jerks and I no longer wanted nothing to do with them. My neurotypical mother pushed me to a alternative high school, of course, this place is even worse than my last high school, and so I spent the next two years doing the work (very easy) and during this time, I was bullied by @ssholes. Looking back, these guys were threatening me and others and harassing us. They got away with a lot of things. I'm not a violent or confrontational person, (last fight was in middle school) but these jerks would constantly harass me and challenge me, even in the middle of class. It pisses me off that teachers never did anything and sometimes even let it slide or joined in. After high school ended, I was relieved to never see these people again. Over the summer of 2007, one of them contacted me. (I was desperate for friends and lonely at the time.) At first, I neglected, but he would constantly shame or manipulate me for not hanging out with him, so I started hanging out with him. Later on he invited other jerks and would harass me as if I was a joke. They would say things like, "Can't you take a joke?" despite the fact that I can take a joke but these people would take things too far and it became insults. Whenever I called them out on it, they picked fights with me. (Some friends right?) Several years later, I cut them off realizing that these people would never change even though we were out of high school. I later found out via social media that one of them started playing the victim and saying things about me that weren't even true. I'm glad I made the right decision, because who knows what could've happened. These people like to push others beyond their limits and cause tragedies. Anyways, sorry for the long rant, there is way more to the story, but my question is: Does anyone train in MMA, boxing, or any other martial arts? How is it for you guys? Do you let your instructors know about the diagnosis? My last instructor for Krav Maga accused me of not "wanting to listen" even though I have a learning disability. (He didn't know since I kept it a secret.) What do you guys think? I want to be prepared in case I encounter terrible people later on in life.

I understand how you feel. I was bullied all the time in high school. Even when I was a senior, I got bullied by freshmen. I'm glad that experience is over. But I do understand you.

I'm trying to let it go, but at the same time, I have to remember that there are douchebags who go out of their way to make other people's lives miserable. But what pisses me off the most is my neurotypical parents who didn't support self defense. For that reason, I was always confused and conflicted when it came to high school. In the mean time, I will take up MMA and let my instructors know what I have.

New Threads

Top Bottom