• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finding a girlfriend

xxander425

Hi everyone. I don't usually post on forums but I'm having a hard time. I'm a 24 year old aspie make and I haven't had a date in around 7 years. At first it was because I didn't want to. But for the last 3 years I've been trying but not getting anywhere. I would like to have a relationship with a woman but haven't even had a first date. Idk what I'm doing wrong honestly. I know that I can't read people to even tell if the girl is into me or not to even ask to see if she wants to out on a date. I haven't really tried to ask many out. That is is alot of it. But I don't even know how to flirt or what flirting is. I can't tell if a girl is flirting with me or not even. I am so lost and I have no clue where to look. Can you guys please help me? Any advise would be great please.

Thank you for that. That does help a bit. I'm just not good with girls and I can't pick up on anything Unless it's told outright to me and nobody understands that. I work at Starbucks so I run into alot of girls who are regulars but I freeze up. It sucks. I wish I could stop myself from freezing up. But I can't seem to.

I struggle with being an aspie overall and it's even worse when it comes to women. It sucks because I don't have anyone to talk to that I know that also is an aspie. So I can't relate with anyone or talk about expierence or anything. I've only recently been diagnosed.

I could never "date" in the most conventional sense. Too much pressure and social ritual I just don't navigate particularly well. Much like a job interview. :eek:

My solution? I settle for making friends. That's never easy either, but it involves far fewer pressures or expectations. And on rare occasion, such friendships developed into something more.

For better or worse, for me it has always been this way. I did manage to go on one blind date in my life...which predictably was a catastrophe for me.

It's a hard thing to do most dates I've had where because I went to class or worked with the other person so we had to spend time together and I just stopped being awkward around them. I'm not sure how to actually seek out and flirt with a girl or even tell when they're flirting with me. If you can find another aspie to talk with my aspie friend has been a great help, it's nice having someone to relate to.

from my experience..when you stop looking for love it finds you instead..cant you give any advice
or tips on how to get a girlfriend.. you just need to believe in yourself..stay true to yourself..and stop searching
love will find a way

I know that I can't read people to even tell if the girl is into me or not to even ask to see if she wants to out on a date. I haven't really tried to ask many out. That is is alot of it. But I don't even know how to flirt or what flirting is. I can't tell if a girl is flirting with me or not even.
I've never been anywhere close to going on a first date for my own reasons but from reading and hearing comments from a wide range of people it sounds like even NTs can't read if others are into them to the point that it might as well be a cliché for dating. It all comes down to one of the people making a move and then a numbers game of rejections vs acceptance until you find the right person. If you're into someone then ask them out or something and don't take it personally if they say no.

I work at Starbucks so I run into alot of girls who are regulars but I freeze up. It sucks. I wish I could stop myself from freezing up. But I can't seem to.
Stop thinking of them as attractive girls and start thinking of them as people you wouldn't be intiminated by. Sort of like how they say if you're afraid of public speaking you should imagine the audience in their underwear. It sounds easier said than done but just ignore the idea of looking for a girl and just treat every customer as someone to be friendly with. Smile and make small talk in a friendly tone and if you can maybe crack a joke or so. The good news is that you get to see a lot of different people and if some of them are regulars then opening up in that way will allow them to get to know you.

It sucks because I don't have anyone to talk to that I know that also is an aspie. So I can't relate with anyone or talk about expierence or anything.
I'm pretty sure this is what this forum is for so you're in the right place. The more you post the more we'll get to know you and you will make friends here.

I struggle with being an aspie overall and it's even worse when it comes to women. It sucks because I don't have anyone to talk to that I know that also is an aspie. So I can't relate with anyone or talk about expierence or anything. I've only recently been diagnosed.
Hi I'm a little younger only being twenty but I totally understand your situation, I didn't start trying till about 9 months ago due to a lack of interest before that, now I'm really struggling for similar reasons to the ones you've mentioned, I've had a couple of dates that haven't led anywhere and I was in a relationship even if it didn't last long, I guess what I'm trying to say is you are not alone and many other aspies and NT struggle, if you want private message me and we can talk about these things and try to help one another as I would also like a fellow aspie to discuss these things with.

Any advise would be great please.

For starters, here are factors that must be considered:
1: Your city and state
2: Your appearance (yes, it's true)
3: Your dress habits
4: Your hygiene (surprisingly people don't get this)
5: Your personality type
6: Your humor style
7: Your religious beliefs
8: Your political beliefs
9: Your car and it's condition
10: How you position your body and face (huge discussion when ready)
11: What types of physical features do you look for
12: What kind of personality/behavior you look for
13: How mature are you? (don't answer that, most people don't even get close)
14: Your interests
15: Your income
16: Your living situation

Instead of telling you all kinds of "yeah, I'm the same way" or "it's hard for all of us" or any other thing like that, you will find that I'll help you get down to the bare bones. Yes, this is a question of variables and factors. No, it is not purely math and science but you have to respect that there are correlations often unobserved.

If you see some of my other posts you may see that I point out how geographica/religious cultures can produce specific standards of attraction per region that must be observed.

For instance: I live in Alabama; I live close to the University of Alabama actually. The most popular American concept is entertainment. The most popular American entertainment is sports. The most popular sport is Football. Football has regional sections and the most popularly active of them is the SEC region. In the SEC the most championships won (by staggering amounts) is the ... can you guess it?... University of Alabama. It is said by all who visit that the in-state rivalry between Alabama and it's sister team Auburn is by far the most severe football rivalry in the world and it comes with little exaggeration.

Q.E.D. Alabama football is one of the most influential variables to consider when living in Alabama.

Now that I have you thinking in these terms, know that the people in Alabama are football fanatics to the extreme. The two most popular vehicle colors sold in Alabama are crimson and silver and you will see dealerships carry and display almost nothing but crimson/silver cars. In no attempt to make myself well-liked with my statements I can assure you that people in Alabama breed for football. Psychology and Sociology has proven that females look for "mates" based on genetic potential (it's subconscious so no one get offended) and each female will have their own standard for what makes an attractive male. So when you are in regions of Alabama you will see a steep correlation with football and sex (despite religious claims of celibacy) with the football players at the top of the food chain along with the cheerleaders. A vast majority of the male, middle age population in the south can be described as short, stout men with bulky centers and shaved heads sporting an ovular shape. They are often shorter than others with stocky builds plus age fat. Gut fat is the most prominent feature shared by southerners actually. They will also have high blood pressure problems and passive aggressive personalities with more than spoiled tendencies. This is because most males do steroids in high school to get built which produce a scientifically specific middle age look. You will notice that these men are almost always married to women with fake blonde hair (or have had fake blonde before) or the typical straightened brown hair with blond highlights and too much eye makeup which becomes more popular towards their 30s-40s and veers more toward light brown and fake red later in life. These are all statistically proven aftermaths of football worshipping lifestyles. Similar to how I can say that most people in Alabama own either a truck or SUV.

Q.E.D. If you are not a football fan (like me) you are in the wrong place.

Step outside of popular belief and realize that the things no one else has the backbone to say are often the most true. The things I listed above are variables that must be analyzed to see if you even have a decent chance of finding a girlfriend based on where you live or how you "carry yourself." I've been surprised to see guys who don't even bother to look halfway appealing and who do creepy things complain about not attracting supermodels because they have unrealistic views of what they think they are owed in life according to mass media.

For anime fans (as a bonus observation) you will notice that almost all "harem anime" feature the most typical black hair, black eye, teenage anime character which always seems to collect a following of exotic females. Remember Tenchi Muyo and Ah my Goddess and Love Hina and Sword Art Online and ...well, any other harem anime? Yeah, they have the most typical male lead with the most exotic and overly populated array of female support. In fact, most all anime with only a few exceptions tend to have a Japan exclusive cultural ideal on what women act like that doesn't even interpret well into real life. You watch anime? You are most likely going to have to re-learn how females work. Sorry but it's true.

New Threads

Top Bottom