• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fellow Aspie needs our help;; asking for your advice on autistic self-care

Nina

aspie writer
Hey everyone! So I'm sharing this link with everyone/anyone who may be interested. The link below is to an Aspie blogger's call for submissions to create a "zine" (online mini-magazine.) She's accepting submissions from anyone over 13, self- or medically diagnosed and on the autism spectrum.

The zine theme is Autistic Self-Care and Community Support.

She wants to hear your advice on
  • Building support networks in autistic community
  • Dealing with depression and anxiety as an autistic person
  • Autistic inertia and self care
  • Addressing barriers to self care
  • Making self care manageable
  • Sensory self care
  • How we can help each other care for ourselves
  • And anything else you can think of!
(Artwork is acceptable if it has text.)

Please consider submitting! She hasn't received anything usable since May and is hoping to have a publication by September.

Thank you for reading! :)

Hey everyone! So I'm sharing this link with everyone/anyone who may be interested. The link below is to an Aspie blogger's call for submissions to create a "zine" (online mini-magazine.) She's accepting submissions from anyone over 13, self- or medically diagnosed and on the autism spectrum.

The zine theme is Autistic Self-Care and Community Support.

She wants to hear your advice on
  • Building support networks in autistic community
  • Dealing with depression and anxiety as an autistic person
  • Autistic inertia and self care
  • Addressing barriers to self care
  • Making self care manageable
  • Sensory self care
  • How we can help each other care for ourselves
  • And anything else you can think of!
(Artwork is acceptable if it has text.)

Please consider submitting! She hasn't received anything usable since May and is hoping to have a publication by September.

Thank you for reading! :)

If you sell the print version, what does the author get for royalties?

EDIT: What is your relationship to Olivia? What has she published, or printed, before?

Last edited:
If you sell the print version, what does the author get for royalties?

EDIT: What is your relationship to Olivia? What has she published, or printed, before?
Checked out the tumblr. I'm guessing, since zines are usually free or dirt cheap, that there won't be much in the way of royalties...but I'll leave that for the OP. From the tumblr, what she's done before:

Her profile on We Make Zines states:

So far I've released 2 zines, a found object/perzine hybrid titled Psychometry: A Zine on Found Objects and Small Things With Hidden Meaning, and a minicomic zine that I drew while bored in high school (5 years ago, but only now releasing to the public) titled Ailenn and Mark: First Meeting. It’s the story of two teenagers with superpowers (one of whom does some part-time superhero work) realizing that they’re not alone.

My zines are available on my online shops:

- Paradox Creations by ParadoxNowCreations on Etsy

- http://paradoxcreations.storenvy.com/

Contact me if you'd like to trade for one of my zines.

I'm also working on a perzine titled (meta)paradox and am planning a compilation zine on asexuality, as well as a variety of other projects.​

Interesting. Zines out my way--we've got a lot of indie and small press--are actually a protest media partially defined by their production materials and method: made using corporate printers, usually no more than 8 folded pages, and circulated quite without sanction, generally on a political subject such as the compromising of civil rights when working for private employ.

I stand by my post: requesting "submissions" in detail for the benefit of the publisher, without sufficient introduction, and a statement that publisher may sell same, is using this space for commercial purposes.

Two danger signs:
  • Desperate for submissions--by her own say-so--lending a sense of urgency.
  • Repeated solicitations in the voice of someone asking for "help" from friends when she's not a community member.

As a writer, both professionally and personally, I can't help but notice. This is not the first time someone has come on the board--recently--to solicit work that they are sketchy about paying for.

Last edited:
Aye. What I balked at was "I'm gonna edit your stuff" and "I'm gonna sell it". There was a project I had gotten involved in a few months ago that was going to be a purely free and volunteer online magazine thing with all sorts of nifty stuff for spectrum people, but I think the brainstorming exhausted the Aspies because it hasn't moved forward in a while.

This is Olivia, the editor of the zine. I don't know the person who posted about my project here. I originally posted about it on my Tumblr. My call for submissions was mainly for the Tumblr autistic community and the zine community, which I am a member of. Calls for submissions like this are commonplace in the zine making community. I wouldn't make money for any print version, just cover printing and shipping costs, and there would be a free pdf. I just thought some people would like a print version.

My intent was to create a comminity-sourced resource that I felt was lacking. As an autistic person and active member of the Tumblr autistic community, I thought it would be useful for myself and others. I've also created a free resource for autistic people in higher education here: http://autisticincollege.wordpress.com

Also, both the Tumblr for ASAN and the Autism Women's Network reblogged my call for submissions. I'm a real person frustrated with the lack of self care resources for autistic people.

Last edited:
I balked at the "sell it" part. Okay use material I donate for a free or charity project. That's fine but, if you are going to sell my material for a profit, I get my royalties for as long as I hold the copyright. I'm not donating to your profit. I have no problem submitting my material toward your profit so long as we have a legally binding contract and, I am assured of receiving the agreed upon royalties.

Now if this is strictly to be used as a free and sold to raise money for ASD charities (all profits to be donated) then let me know what is needed and, I will do my best to help out. What is to be done with any profits form sales was not specified.

I have no problem with her editing my work but, I'm used to having my work ran through editors, directors, producers and a slew of technicians so, to me that's a part of releasing material I create to the public.

*I do not use Tumblr but, if you know this person and wish to copy and paste this message to her, and PM me with any reply she may have, feel free to do so on my behalf.*

By print version I was referring to printing out copies by hand and listing them on etsy for like 50 cents. I may not do that though. I'm a student with limited resources. Zines are about community diy, it wouldn't be in any way a professional project.

May I suggest going forward with selling the zine, but raise it to 1.00 per copy and, donate all profits (that's money left after you pay publishing and printing costs) to ASD research and/or awareness?

I suggest that for two reason, primarily because there is an great need for research and public awareness/education. Secondarily, people will often buy something for charity when they would not otherwise purchase the item. More people would buy and read it and, that alone raises awareness. [it's also great PR for you as an editor/publisher/author to do a charity fundraiser.]

Aspergirl4Hire said:
Interesting. Zines out my way--we've got a lot of indie and small press--are actually a protest media partially defined by their production materials and method: made using corporate printers, usually no more than 8 folded pages, and circulated quite without sanction, generally on a political subject such as the compromising of civil rights when working for private employ.

I stand by my post: requesting "submissions" in detail for the benefit of the publisher, without sufficient introduction, and a statement that publisher may sell same, is using this space for commercial purposes.

Two danger signs:
  • Desperate for submissions--by her own say-so--lending a sense of urgency.
  • Repeated solicitations in the voice of someone asking for "help" from friends when she's not a community member.

As a writer, both professionally and personally, I can't help but notice. This is not the first time someone has come on the board--recently--to solicit work that they are sketchy about paying for.

Calls for submissions?
I could have a lot to say about how this sounds to me, but maybe it is not so good to do so.
It makes me begin wondering whether all the writing and artwork on this public forum is considered as material other people might use - scoop up - copy and then edit a little - for their own benefit or self aggrandizement. The word zine made me think of the word aggrandizement.

Calls for submissions?
I could have a lot to say about how this sounds to me, but maybe it is not so good to do so.
It makes me begin wondering whether all the writing and artwork on this public forum is considered as material other people might use - scoop up - copy and then edit a little - for their own benefit or self aggrandizement. The word zine made me think of the word aggrandizement.

Well, using what any of us post on the open forum would not be illegal. Morally wrong most likely but, not illegal. I don't have a problem with that, I post knowing nothing I post is copyrighted but, were I to write an article, that would fall under my copyright and, as such, I would need to provide a license specifying how it could be used with the article. That license would be legally binding and, I'm not sure the creator of this zine wants to get into copyright legalities like that.

Well, using what any of us post on the open forum would not be illegal. Morally wrong most likely but, not illegal. I don't have a problem with that, I post knowing nothing I post is copyrighted but, were I to write an article, that would fall under my copyright and, as such, I would need to provide a license specifying how it could be used with the article. That license would be legally binding and, I'm not sure the creator of this zine wants to get into copyright legalities like that.
Yes, all of what we put here is 'out there' on the internet. The odd, slightly off feeling is someone asking in a bit of an insistent, moral high ground way, for submission, when most of us here are already writing &/or posting with the intent to help our fellow aspies anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom