• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

feeling nervous and like everybody's looking at you when your out on your own

CrazyCat4588

:( so every week day i get up and get the bus to work and when i get of the bus i have about five minutes which takes me to where i walk, now i've been doing this for three years.
the hard thing as soon as i sit down on the bus i can get really nervous and my eyes twitch like they are itching so its really embarresing, and i either have to pretend i'm yawning or just look out the window, i absolutley hate it and i start panicking inside. also when i walk to work i sometimes feel like everybodys looking at me, do you think there is anyway i can stop this
does anyone have similar problems
thanx

I dont think theres much you can do mate at the moment other than try and relax in those situations, all i can say is that you will probably just get used to it the more your in the situation. I used to be like that in public but now it doesn't bother me but i do feel like that if i'm say in a room full of new people i get so terrified to speak that i try to find anything to avoid speaking like smoking a ciggerette or something.

thank you for your reply and advice, i also get quite scared when i meet new people, like you i do smoke ciggarettes and that kind of relaxes me i'll just keep telling myself it's all in my head , because i know people aren't looking at me but when i feel like that i just want to run and hide under a rock lol.
thanx again :)

i know i should't be promoting smoking but i actaully find it makes it easier to make freinds( so lonh as they smoke. I mean you an get in someones good books by offering them one, theres also going outside to smoke and that might leave you alone with someone and a conversation starter. Also smoking kinda helped me get over my fear of confronting random people simply because i sometimes need a lighter on the high street and end up asking for a light, mind you its very awkward if there lighter is **** and you stand there for five minutes trying to spark up,but even that doesnt bother me, enough confidence can turn the tables in any situation like that and stop you feeling like a twat, thats my motto

thanx for the advice :) i 've only occasionly made conversastion with somone whilst smoking and that was a very rare occasion for me. i sometimes feel like a right numpty when i'm standing outside trying to light up a ciggy and my lighter doesn't work, so i'm stood there for like five minutes trying desperatly to light up , now that makes me feel like a right gump lol

I feel the exact same way. Sometimes it's not even when I'm out in public but when I'm at home and in the same room as other people, even my own family. It's why I prefer to be alone as much as possible. Sometimes I feel okay around other people but other times I just can't stand it. Also, sometimes I do catch people looking at me, and it just makes me feel worse. Privacy, or lack thereof, is a huge issue for me.
If you have an iPod or mp3 player of some sort, it could help to bring it along and listen to music while looking out the window. I always do that on long car rides and it actually makes me forget for a while that I'm with other people since I start thinking about other things. It's just like I'm in my own little exclusive world.

You can't control what others do or their reactions to what they perceive as different to them. That is assuming they are even looking at you to begin with (to the original poster). Sometimes it feels like others are, but they really aren't. Making eye contact is really difficult for me so just the hint of eyes looking at me makes things very uncomfortable in these type situations. I just thought of something though, if you don't have issues wearing sunglasses like I do, maybe you could wear some. That would probably help you.

-sean-

I feel that way too. It's especially bad if I walk past people. I find my walk gets stilted and I have to stare at the ground. My other issue being pictures. I hate having pictures of people in my room because I feel embarrassed getting dressed in front of them. Same with magazines in bathrooms.

I have similar problems and unemployed because of it. I won't even attempt to ride a bus by myself...too much meanness & snobbish, rudeness I can't handle it. And, lol, when I go out to check my mail or walk my dogs, i always peek out first to see if too many people hanging outside because I always feel being watched and laughed at.

It is a weird feeling. Even when no one is around you or there's no reason to feel they are watching you, that we can still feel as if we're on someone's "radar" for whatever reason. One of those things that never really goes away.

Have had it my whole life as far back as I can remember. If I don't get regular workouts in, it gets much worse.
I had a tall fence put up around the yard so as to reduce that feeling a bit. Stopped the neighbor from talking to me a lot too, which was a nice side benefit. Being in public is something I do as little as reasonably possible.

New Threads

Top Bottom