• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

feeling less alone

bails0bub

the outsider
do any of you feel less alone when you are alone?

Not that I only ever want to be alone, but this is my line of thought most of the time.

Yes I completely agree you. I'm often at my happiest when alone at work with just my thoughts to keep me company.

Oh and I/we have AF.com too if we feel like engaging with humans! :)

I don't know if I really feel less alone when I'm alone. I think I feel the same amount of alone no matter how many people are nearby. I certainly feel less exposed and vulnerable when I am alone.

I am happiest when I am with my wife and family. However I still need my alone time and I do not feel lonely when I am alone.

I don't know if I really feel less alone when I'm alone. I think I feel the same amount of alone no matter how many people are nearby. I certainly feel less exposed and vulnerable when I am alone.
That makes sense. I guess it would be more accurate to say I am made much more aware of my inability to "connect", in the same way that one may not realize they are hungry until surrounded by food but unable to eat.

To me you're simply describing the difference between loneliness and solitude.

One being negative, the other being positive and a source of comfort for those of us on the spectrum.

When I'm able to "savor my solitude", the last thing I'm likely to feel is loneliness.

Equally there are times when I feel utterly alone- yet surrounded by others.

Last edited:
just trying to bounce thoughts off people, you don't have to be diminutive.
sorry in advance if I am misunderstanding what you meant by that.

Like Judge said...

Solitude...

thats the word I was looking for...
Its a peaceful place where no one has an opinion or the noises of life just no longer matter.

just trying to bounce thoughts off people, you don't have to be diminutive.
sorry in advance if I am misunderstanding what you meant by that.

I think he was just implying a more stable word for loneliness... I simply understand the logic of trying to find words that feel right, as well as sound right. I don't think it was meant to ever sound ugly. : )

I think the point for many of us on the spectrum is that "being alone" has more numerous dynamics compared to those not on the spectrum.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that being alone and being lonely are the same thing. I'm happy by myself at home but I'm lonely when I'm at work surrounded by dozens of people that ignore me.

What you are saying reminds me of this quote:

dd1e999381f138d5b6cc9b531f1e60d8.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom