• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fears & Phobias

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
What are your fears or phobias? They can be AS/Autism related or not.

Mine are:

Heights (generally don't like them)
Falling into water (despite being able to swim)
Wasps - Got stung by one when I was little.
Talking on Skype - It can take up to an hour before I start to speak to someone whom I've never Skyped with before. Whenever I speak to them once then I'm fine for the next time and start talking straight away. This one would be AS related.
Going on webcam - Again, AS related but once I get going then I'm fine.
Making speeches in front of an audience - AS related. I'm actually told that I'm really good at giving speeches once I get started and over the initial fear.

What are yours?

Going to public places alone (after I do it once I am fine going to the same place).
Talking in groups, especially in a class setting.
Giving speeches and presentations. Nearly impossible for me right now.
Talking to someone in person that knows about my difficulties (aspergers syndrome, depression, etc.)

Anything that makes a huge bang... Well, that's pretty much the only problem I have, I hate the feeling of having a sensory overload. :(
I have this thing about failure, that I have fears of.
Heights.

But other than that, I don't seem to have much fears and phobias.

Woah. Where can I start. Mostly sounds, unexpected noise. I do not like that. I always bring my iPod with acceptable sounds (music) when I know I will be in a place that I am not familiar. I do not like crowds. I like quiet and consistency. I could list other things. I will do with this for now. :wacko:

Same as all above actually. Although phobia is a bit strong. An intense dislike would be a better term.
I can swim, but i seriously don't like getting wet.
I can go high up, but only when the need is stronger then the dislike.
I can't stand noises, but they could be a tiny squeak that really gets going rather then a big bang.
I had this car which at a certain speed made a very very tiny squeak noise on the leftside. Drove me bonkers trying to get rid of it. Ofcourse the noise was most prominent at regular highwayspeeds.
I can't stand crowds, flashing lights, strong odors, parfume

I have a phobia, "emetophobia" which is the phobia of vomiting and other people doing so.
It's quite a common phobia, and also can have a massive effect on one's life. Because of this phobia, I am scared of illness in general.
I have a fear of moths and daddy long legs, but these aren't as bad and are not a phobia.

I just want to note that my first post was strong dislikes/moderate fears rather than Phobias. Phobia would be too strong a word for my list.

i'd say my only major phobia (that is irrational) is a fear of my home being invaded. i've had nightmares of it all my life. as an adult, it often simply causes me to have panic, way out of proportion fight or flight responses anytime i hear noises or anything that could sound like someone attempting to enter my dwelling through door or window. it also sometimes will happen when any change in ambient sound happens, example is my fan that we run at night, if it stutters or fails this usually causes me to wake up in panic. as a teenager i remember ocd like symptoms of both intrusive thoughts of violent results of home invasion (like my entire family dead at home), as well as checking all locks. i think i still have the intrusive thoughts but it is not often.

on this note, the film the strangers was probably the most effective horror film i've ever seen. i don't think i slept the night i saw it.

I have a couple of strong dislikes that I wouldn't call phobias, which are:
  • Worms
  • Blood (I find the sight of blood quite disturbing, even though I'd like to donate blood one day)
  • Hospitals
  • Police officers (after seeing some upsetting footage on one of those "caught on camera" programmes, including a cop shooting someone's retriever, the bigoted bastard)
  • Needles
  • Eating out.
But the only real fear I have that I can think of is embarrassing myself in front of others.

• Talking in big groups, that is AS related.
  • Heights.
  • Escalators, I hate them. I am not sure why, but it's always going down that worries me..so much so that apparently, according to my sister, I do a ''dance'' before I go on...if that is the case, I'm rather worried.
  • Bees, I'm allergic to the sting.
  • Fear of being late. It's anxeity that if something that is over a few seconds late..I just get really anxious.
  • Crowds.
  • Unexpected noises, one of the reasons why I always have my iPod.
  • Making speeches, this is AS related.
  • Taking public transportation alone and going to public places alone.
  • Eating in front of people.

- Heights/falling off high things
- Deep water
- Saying something embarrassing while in conversation
- Calling people I don't know well on the phone
- Needles (phobia)
- Being physically attacked by something/someone I can't defend myself against (I've had a lot of OCD associated with this)

I remember a phobia I had from when I was about 9 to 11, and that was of germs. I used to wash my hands so much that they became dry and cracked and would wipe surfaces with sterile wipes. I also took the antibacterial spray out of the cupboard and kept it in my bedroom, just in case people went up there and spread their germs over my things. Another thing I did was have my own plate and cutlery to eat with and my own cup because I thought I would catch something by using the same utensils as other people. It was worse whenever there was a stomach bug going around - I was petrified of vomiting and seeing other people vomiting, so I just stayed in my room with a load of antibacterial gel for my hands. I still get that niggling feeling to wash my hands or wipe things now, but I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be.

my son’s fears

-Going to the doctor ( always thinks he is going to get a Needle)
- Any type of bug
-He will come in my room in touch my mouse to keep the computer on. ( iI tell him it just going to sleep he feels it”s shutting down)
-Noises
He is only 10 .. That's all I see right now.

* Heights. Absolutely terrified of heights. And yet I am okay in buildings and airplanes, like if there is a closed window there it is just like looking at a picture taken from a high place (I live on the 36th floor, and I fly at least every month or two). I am 2 metres tall (6'6" and a bit) and a lot of railings don't even come up to the top of my legs, which is scary. I almost have a panic attack if I see my kids near any high places. I am not as bad as I used to be - even staircases used to freak me out.

* Spiders. I think this is related to being Australian, where it is drummed into you from a very young age that spiders can kill you. When I was a kid we had the Sydney Funnel Web Spider, which is perhaps the most aggressive and deadly spider in the world, and back then there was no antidote.

* Germs. I can't use a utensil that I have seen someone else use. I can't drink from a bottle or cup that someone else has used. I can't share food, take a bit of someone else's food, etc. I hate kissing people, even my wife (who gets really upset if she catches me wiping my lips after I kiss her).

* Needles.

* Dentists - although this is most likely because I have had some shockingly bad experiences there.

My son is the funniest. He has picked up some of my germ phobia, won't eat or drink anything that his baby sister has been near because it might have "baby slobber" in it. When watching TV he spends at least half the time running into the bedroom, hiding behind the bed or a sofa, or standing in a corner and watching the reflection of the TV in a mirror. Or holding his toy puppy over his face. And it isn't the stuff that is intentionally scary that he is scared of. He was watching Scooby Doo yesterday. It wasn't the hideous ghost witch that he was scared of, it was the vampy teenage rock band girls who were wearing too much make-up and dressed as goths.

wow, everyones scared of needles...including me! maybe its an aspie thing?
im also scared of anything to do with the hospital in general

but i have another irrational fear...
squeaky toys , like rubber ducks (sorry CJ!)

I have a phobia of telephones, I just can't make or take phone calls with anyone who isn't a close friend or relative. Oddly though, I don't have any problems with text messages.

I also strongly dislike spiders, needles, dentists and going out. The latter is AS related though.

SPIDERS.....(shudders)
Flying insects (Wasps)
Deep Water
Needles
Dentists
Sudden loud noises
Social situations with people i dont know

Hair, especially long hair. Nightmares about it touching back of my hands or face or neck.

Curly hair brings me out in a cold sweat.
Think I'm the only one out there with that strange one!

New Threads

Top Bottom