• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fear of water

Lilacleia16

Am I alone in my fear of water and dislike for baths? I have learned that each autistic person is dominated by one of their 5 senses the strongest and for me that’s my sense of touch so tactile stimulation can be overstimulating for me. Are you also tactile? And if not then which sense are you dominated by the most and how does it overstimulate you?

I don’t like taking baths. As a child I loved to take baths. I don’t like them anymore. I hate looking at my hair floating in the bath it’s gross to me. I also hate the ocean. There are so many creepy things in the ocean. I hate looking at the goblin shark. Gives me the creeps.

Last edited:
My fear of water has little to do with water, per se. I grew up in Michigan, US. The Great Lakes State. Bitter cold winters, water was ice covered, it cracked and groaned, sometimes it was clear, sometimes it was just grey, but when the ice broke, it was the epitome of nature's violence. I've seen expensive, thick steel break walls be shredded like thin tin foil. I've seen people and their trucks, snowmobiles, and ice shanties go under. Some of my friends would jump onto those ice flows and ride them. They were fine, but every year you would hear of a kid to two going under. I will sometimes walk out onto the ice, but I am never comfortable, and I do it with deep respect.

I also understood very well what that deep water line meant. It meant if you went under it was going to be a long time before you hit bottom and no one is going to find you in the blackness. I like going out on the boat sometimes, but I am more comfortable being the one navigating, in control. If I am just sitting in a seat for the ride, I can't enjoy myself.

My sister loves white water rafting. She convinced us to go, and I was trying to be a good sport about it, but I have a good understanding of the physics behind moving water and how much shear power there is. I also understood what that meant if I went overboard. Needless to say, while everyone else was "whooping it up" in the boat all excited, I was just trying to maintain my composure. I did it. Checked that box. Never again.

You know how some people can get into the water and just seem to float? They are up on top of the water, totally enjoying the experience, laughing, playing, well, not me. I don't seem to float at all. I go straight to the bottom. So, I cannot relax in the water because I am struggling to keep my mouth above the water line, gasping for air. Put on a floatation device they said, still sank. Put on 2 floatation devices, still sank, and this was in Hawaii in salt water where everyone floats. I paid for an expensive snorkeling tour and had to watch my wife from the stupid boat while the life guards where dumbfounded why I couldn't keep my body above water enough to use a stupid snorkel.

So, just some examples of my fear of water.

Am I alone in my fear of water and dislike for baths? I have learned that each autistic person is dominated by one of their 5 senses the strongest and for me that’s my sense of touch so tactile stimulation can be overstimulating for me. Are you also tactile? And if not then which sense are you dominated by the most and how does it overstimulate you?
I love baths, I have always been a bath person, do not mind how the water turns murky after a while.
I do not like touching water with my hands in terms of always dishwater and laundry water.
I sometimes have hated showers/love or hate.
But being clean overrules it

Breaking my fear of water was instrumental in giving myself confidence to face other things in life. I grew up not being a good swimmer, plus I had problems with balance and proprioception. So I applied myself, took whitewater canoeing lessons at Nantahala Outdoor Center, and also got my SCUBA certification. That gave me great confidence in my ability to overcome a lot, including my social dysfunction and overwhelming fear of rejection.

I always take baths. I hate the feel of water spraying on me because it isn't a full submersion and it makes my skin crawl because I don't have full submersion of all my skin. It is definitely a sensory issue. I also cannot stand having water drip down my arms after washing hands or doing dishes. If my sleeve gets wet I have to change shirts because all I can focus on is the one spot that is damp. Drives me crazy and wastes tons of my time. But, I can't get past it.

I love water. I love being in water.

But I can't stand getting wet. It is going from dry to wet that is really icky to me. So, I have a hard time getting in water, or wading, or bathing, or swimming, or the hot tub, or anything like that, even though I know I am going to love it when I get there.

New Threads

Top Bottom