• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fascinated by certain textures + watching certain videos

The Phantom

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if these qualified as an Aspergers thing?

First off, every day I have these tabs on a few windows, There are about 2 windows about a hundred tabs on each. They're filled with a variety of things, predominantly songs and/or songs from musicals. I keep these in there as inspiration for my writing (I'm working on some books) and a lot of the songs I associate with a moment from the book that I want to happen, or something the characters are doing. In one of my books there is vivid scenery (as in a lot of the vents take place in these different places that are very artistic-looking or something, lol I don't know how to explain). It's a bit hard to explain, but also some songs are associated with if the book aws turned into a movie, what songs woud be playing as it panned the landscape/setting haha it's tought to explain, if you ask some more in-detail questions I mgiht be able to answer.
But anyway, depending on what the mood of the book should be, I watch/listen to certian videos to get inspiration for certain parts.
But 2 of my books are very different, so there are medieval songs and then the Jackson five lol. But I watch them for inspiration and just for anything.
Also, these are just some videos I have that I just like (a lot of them because I imagine I"m eating the food or doing the stuff they're doing lol) but I still have to watch them everyday (or at least I LIKE to). But in general, I can't stop using the computer until I'm done watching the videos I need. If I'm short on time I'll prioritize which ones to watch, but it's still hard. My parents are starting to get mad because they think I do it for dumb reasons but I try to explain why. But they try and force me off which gets m really upset and they say I' have an addiction (which is probably true to some extent) but they never try and get me help.

When I was younger, and still a bit now, I was nearly obsessed with a few certain textures + parts of an object. I would always seek out things that were 'fluffy', of fuzzy, like a feather duster, feather boa (I loved feathers), pom-poms, just anything fluffy really. I would want to buy or play with anything like that. I still have a huge collection of fluffy things by mom brought me.
The other texture is a bit hard to explain, but really anything able to be squished or pressed. When you go to a fastfood restaurant and order a soda (probably as McDonalds) , and it has the little plastic 'buttons' you press down according to waht drink you had, I would always want to press them down. I loved squishing the rube of vacuum cleaners (or any accordion-type part of the vacuum cleaner) and to a smaler extend the bendy part of a straw (also used to bite down on straws a lot until my brother told me I would get sick and die from it lol).
But also, the biggest would be rubber balls or squishy sort of rubber things. Bouncy balls that had the ability to be squeezed a little bit, foam balls (like stress balls or other foam shapes that are really squishy), water-filled balls, squish lander pencil toppers (I lost mine and I'mr eally sad, I want to get another one), anything. I remember being fascinated with a certain object of my brothers only because part of it had a squishy pump filled which filled a little plastic pouch with red liquid. Also, he also had another thing which was like a glass domem and on the inside a bunch of computer chip things and wires, which has super cool, but mostly there was this tiny orange thing in the corner that looked like it was squishy, like a tiny tiny closed whoopee cushion lol, and I would stare at it hoping I could tkae it out and play with it even though it was TINY.
I wanted to buy an object I saw online that was a bunch of random objects which you could connect through a rubber ball with holed in it for the objects with pegs. As cool as the whole thing sounded, I really only wanted to buy it for the rubber ball so I could squish it a bunch of time in my hand (it was small so I could carry it around.) All the tiny rubber squishy thing I used to carry around everywhere and squish.

Finally, one last thing, is that I used to be obsessed with American Girl dolls. Lol hear me out on this, it wasn't the dolls I mean to mention, although I did love those, but that's perfeclty normal for a 9 year old girl. What I really think was worth mentioning was that I was obsessed with the purses. They were pretty small, but I'd just love all the little bags and want to buy all of them to play with. Any type of bag. It was odd. I was obsessed with just about any tiny part of the American girl doll acessories (and the Ag stuff in general, I loved dressing them up in certain clothes and stuff) but that was definitely the most weird.

As aspie as one can get, I would say lol

I can only have one window going and have 4 tabs only. Gets me into a sort of panic, if I have anymore going on! I NEED to get rid or look at emails that come in and don't go there, with spam!

My passion is colour and currently red is the one that I keep seeing and feel upset, say for example: I have tons of kitchen clothes in all different colours, but I am distraught that I have not got red and guess what? I keep wanting to mentally turn another colour into red! It even makes me extremely frustrated that I have two similar colours and think: why the heck can't you be red? All this is kept to myself, for I am perfectly aware how zany I sound ( but on here, I know I am mild compared to some and thus, feel safe).

I get you with squishy things for I have this intense desire to squeeze.

Also fabric is incredibly important to me and I surprise some when I can tell just by looking at their clothes, what fabric they are wearing and often get: are you a seamstress or something and are rather surprised when I say: nope! Oh I can make tiny things and even can make skirts, but generally, wouldn't be able to sell them hehehehe

What a shame when those closest to us, refuse to try and understand us, eh? My husband has taken to calling me stupid when I am taking him literally and that hurts me, because surely if he knows I take things literally, he would try and adapt his sentence for me? But nope, he thinks I am just being stupid! I suspect deep inside, he feels a bit challenged by me which causes me deep sadness because NEVER do I make my aspieness a reason to get away with things!

As aspie as one can get, I would say lol

I can only have one window going and have 4 tabs only. Gets me into a sort of panic, if I have anymore going on! I NEED to get rid or look at emails that come in and don't go there, with spam!

My passion is colour and currently red is the one that I keep seeing and feel upset, say for example: I have tons of kitchen clothes in all different colours, but I am distraught that I have not got red and guess what? I keep wanting to mentally turn another colour into red! It even makes me extremely frustrated that I have two similar colours and think: why the heck can't you be red? All this is kept to myself, for I am perfectly aware how zany I sound ( but on here, I know I am mild compared to some and thus, feel safe).

I get you with squishy things for I have this intense desire to squeeze.

Also fabric is incredibly important to me and I surprise some when I can tell just by looking at their clothes, what fabric they are wearing and often get: are you a seamstress or something and are rather surprised when I say: nope! Oh I can make tiny things and even can make skirts, but generally, wouldn't be able to sell them hehehehe

What a shame when those closest to us, refuse to try and understand us, eh? My husband has taken to calling me stupid when I am taking him literally and that hurts me, because surely if he knows I take things literally, he would try and adapt his sentence for me? But nope, he thinks I am just being stupid! I suspect deep inside, he feels a bit challenged by me which causes me deep sadness because NEVER do I make my aspieness a reason to get away with things!

Haha, I was suspecting this (the object + texture) was an Aspie thing for a while. It was the most normal thing to me for so long, my parents never commented on it (in front of me at least, in fact they entertained it, and my mom would by me fuzzy/squishy things sometimes, gotta hand it to her that's really nice of her). But once I saw the obsession with textures things as a symptom that's when I really started to think.
I usually try to keep the tabs to a minimum, but what can you do, I've got hundreds, things just keep on coming! I've probably added a dozen tabs with just a google images search of medieval/renaissance dresses/clothing (I'm a medieval fantasy geek).
I constantly check email, youtube notifications, and mostly AspiesCentral for new alerts/emails! I get disspointed when nothing is there, because it's so exciting lol.

What your saying about colour and fabric is very fascinating. I actually like sewing, fabrics, and craft myself, though I don't know much about it. I'm quite tomboyish so people are shocked when they hear I sew sometimes (and even more when they hear I did ballet for 6 years!)

Yes, it's definitley a shame, I know my parents aren't bad people, it's just they don't really understand, and sometimes it feels they aren't willing to listen, but thankfully I'm getting some help so I guess the work is paying off.

Thanks![/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the having loads of tabs open, but seeking out certain textures or being obsessed with objects, or parts of objects, is definitely an Aspie thing. I did this too, when I was a child. I also obsessively check my mail and forums for notifications or new threads.

Right now I have just 3 tabs open, the result of research I was doing a bit earlier - but it's still early in the day :D I also bookmark things a lot because I don't want to lose them, and have loads of bookmarked pages!

Haha, I was suspecting this (the object + texture) was an Aspie thing for a while. It was the most normal thing to me for so long, my parents never commented on it (in front of me at least, in fact they entertained it, and my mom would by me fuzzy/squishy things sometimes, gotta hand it to her that's really nice of her). But once I saw the obsession with textures things as a symptom that's when I really started to think.
I usually try to keep the tabs to a minimum, but what can you do, I've got hundreds, things just keep on coming! I've probably added a dozen tabs with just a google images search of medieval/renaissance dresses/clothing (I'm a medieval fantasy geek).
I constantly check email, youtube notifications, and mostly AspiesCentral for new alerts/emails! I get disspointed when nothing is there, because it's so exciting lol.

What your saying about colour and fabric is very fascinating. I actually like sewing, fabrics, and craft myself, though I don't know much about it. I'm quite tomboyish so people are shocked when they hear I sew sometimes (and even more when they hear I did ballet for 6 years!)

Yes, it's definitley a shame, I know my parents aren't bad people, it's just they don't really understand, and sometimes it feels they aren't willing to listen, but thankfully I'm getting some help so I guess the work is paying off.

Thanks!
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hey, funny you should mention: renaissance. Have you heard of: Blackmore Night? Great music from that era. I used to be obsessed with the victorian era lol

i don't have the freedom in my life to choose just about anything...... but there are a good amount of textures for furniture or clothing or typical stuff you can touch that i dislike but put up with. others i totally can't even touch and cringe when i do (sandpaper between 60 through 260 grit is a huge problem... or any texture you can compare to those, but those are the easiest consistent textures people can experience and gauge such a thing by. and some that i wish i could layer the entire world in. for example.. a new pair of flannel bed sheets..... omg i can only imagine a "normal" person would have a comparable feeling when doing Esctasy and touching something. i swear as many issues as ASD people have, it's more just like having a natural reaction without the "normal" buffer. it takes "normal" people drugs to feel things as bad and as good as we can.. and most likely similar with other senses..instead of needing drugs to remove whatever inhibits that function for a person just doesn't exist for us.

Hey, funny you should mention: renaissance. Have you heard of: Blackmore Night? Great music from that era. I used to be obsessed with the victorian era lol

I haven't heard of it, btu I'll check it out. Maybe I've heard it, but not of it lol.

i don't have the freedom in my life to choose just about anything...... but there are a good amount of textures for furniture or clothing or typical stuff you can touch that i dislike but put up with. others i totally can't even touch and cringe when i do (sandpaper between 60 through 260 grit is a huge problem... or any texture you can compare to those, but those are the easiest consistent textures people can experience and gauge such a thing by. and some that i wish i could layer the entire world in. for example.. a new pair of flannel bed sheets..... omg i can only imagine a "normal" person would have a comparable feeling when doing Esctasy and touching something. i swear as many issues as ASD people have, it's more just like having a natural reaction without the "normal" buffer. it takes "normal" people drugs to feel things as bad and as good as we can.. and most likely similar with other senses..instead of needing drugs to remove whatever inhibits that function for a person just doesn't exist for us.

I'm trying to think of textures i have issues with.... I know that I try and scratch wall paint with my fingernail in a claw motion, and It drives me crazy at the same time, and I try and make it 'feel right'... Idk, it's hard to explain. I also have this problem with chains, not the giant chain link fences, but the tiny delicate necklace ones, but I don't know why. I cannot touch them, and I hate it when they touch some of my things. It's almost like I'm a witch, because they're supposed to flinch at silver or Iron alloys lmao.

house paints have a lot of different textures. every level of sheen has it's own feel.. for instance, the "eggshell" finish paints are very flat and dusty/rough feeling (not gritty, just like there's a dust coating.. like a 300+ grit used piece of sandpaper).. while satin is smoother (satin is usually used for window/door frames, eggshell would be for the ceiling).... and oil based can feel comparable to a high gloss latex paint... the smaller chains, would be like lower grit sandpaper

i never really wear jewelry.. holding a necklace doesn't bother me (even the small chains) but i usually dont like anything around my neck unless it's really chunky and heavy. small stuff has a very light floaty touch (and, being a guy, i would need to wax my chest twice a day to not get a chain hooked in a hair lol)... but it keeps throwing me off like a fly or moth keeps walking on me

QUOTE="ChrisC1983, post: 250998, member: 13442" house paints have a lot of different textures. every level of sheen has it's own feel.. for instance, the "eggshell" finish paints are very flat and dusty/rough feeling (not gritty, just like there's a dust coating.. like a 300+ grit used piece of sandpaper).. while satin is smoother (satin is usually used for window/door frames, eggshell would be for the ceiling).... and oil based can feel comparable to a high gloss latex paint... the smaller chains, would be like lower grit sandpaper

i never really wear jewelry.. holding a necklace doesn't bother me (even the small chains) but i usually dont like anything around my neck unless it's really chunky and heavy. small stuff has a very light floaty touch (and, being a guy, i would need to wax my chest twice a day to not get a chain hooked in a hair lol)... but it keeps throwing me off like a fly or moth keeps walking on me[ QUOTE]

Wow, that's a cool comparison, I would have never thought of that.

And yeah, while it's not the only reason I have a problem with it (well I don't really know why in the first place lol) the really light touch on the neck does irritate me a lot as well. In fact a lot of light touches irritate me, so I guess that could play a really big part... but I'm still convinced I'm a witch haha. The chunkier it is, the less likely I'm going to have a problem with it. I've tried looking it up but I can't seem to find any reason why it bothers me otherwise.

New Threads

Top Bottom