• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Everyone is like that"

I don't talk about it either because I quickly get dismissed or the person is quickly trying to change the topic. It probably makes them uncomfortable.

I hate when people say "Everyone is like that", I feel like turning to them and saying "Than I must not be explaining it properly" It's like people think they're helping by pointing out commonalities between ASD's and NT's, but really, I feel like it dismisses my experiences, and therefore the absolute struggle life has been for me.

It's like people think they're helping by pointing out commonalities between ASD's and NT's, but really, I feel like it dismisses my experiences, and therefore the absolute struggle life has been for me.

You are right. It's part of that NT compulsion of always seeking/pressuring conformity and consensus... even in the most inconsequential of things.

Does anyone ever get that response when you are trying to describe certain aspects of asd to them?

I usually speak for myself when discussing asd since a lot of symptoms don't show up in all of us or to the same extents, so of course I don't make blanket statements, it really annoys me then when I say something about autism and it is dismissed as something everyone has.
its like saying your diagnosed with anxiety and someone says everyone gets anxious, I don't think we should have to clarify the "more often then nuerotypicals" after every sentence but it's mostly a social disability for me there's a difference between "sometimes I feel awkward" and "a symptom of my disability is that I often come across as awkward"

One of the weirder ones when I tried to explain it to a lady and she decided cats must have aspergers... All cats... Because they aren't as social as dogs. T_T

idk maybe I'm just looking for snowflake points and don't want my specialness dismissed but I wonder if anybody else on the spectrum gets this and how you feel about it.

Note its annoying but I don't get angry with the person who says it, I just point out that some disabilities have symptoms that are more about quantity then uniqueness

Yep. Drives me bucking mental.

I got this at first from my partner, when I was trying to convince him to take me seriously.

He spouted off all that.

Until I wrote a Facebook post describing how impossible I am, made him read it, then asked him to dispute it.

Got him.

Me: "I can't stand this tag on the back of my neck, it's like it's made of razor blades."

Co-worker: "I know, don't you hate them?"

She goes back to work because she notices it, and then ignores it. I go in the ladies room and rip it out with a pair of scissors because I can't stop feeling it.

I think that is the key difference between our reactions and those of NTs. We both notice it, but they have a small reaction and a small response, while we have both turned up to 11.

I had an unfortunate incident with this many years back. I was running late and put on a new shirt and realized the tag was bothering me but chose to try ignoring it because I was going to be more late if I changed. Well turns out I should have just been late because I obviously couldn't ignore it lol. At work I tried cutting out the tag myself but ended up cutting a small hole in the shirt. :(

yes.....super annoying because it is incredible difficult for me to put into words how i feel and then get a dismissive reply. i get it that everyone feels something sometimes but i wish i could explain the differences better.
I completely understand this. I have such a hard time with words also and its very frustrating to feel satisfaction at being able to properly communicate my feelings only to be dismissed or told I am wrong.

I hear that a lot, but then again I wonder how many people are autistic and just don't know, don't care, or are afraid to say something. I just describe how I am and leave it at that. I know if I brought it up to anyone, nothing good would some of it. Doesn't really matter, I am who I am and they have to either accept me or not.

Last job interview I described how my strong points are designing and building the equipment behind the scenes, rather than dealing with the customer. They laughed and said that's everybody in the place. But later they started going on about how social they are and wanted someone who would be part of their "family" activities both on and off the clock. Not upset that I didn't get the job, but I was also fired from a job because I didn't fit with their "family" extracurricular activities even though I did the job well. As my dad always told me, it's not what you know, it's who you know. The job I'm at will be 20 years next month, and I'm thankful and lucky I still have it, they know me by now, my strong and weak points. I say lucky because all but one other shop in this industrial park have closed up, and the other one that remains is the one who fired me. One of them I worked with 21 years ago still walks past my window a half dozen times a day on their clique walks.

New Threads

Top Bottom