• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Empathy

Do you have a youtube channel or some place where you can share your creations, dont get me wrong the song isnt bad, I just felt it was weird for such an informative video , like in some informatives video you can have some music but their are more calm/chill if you know what I mean.

I like echno /electro , but I have never listen to something like you did in this video, its very weird ( the weird feeling that I have this is a demonic song xD, I guess the red screen at the start doesnt help neither hehe °

Check out: Aspie With Attitude to access my YouTube channel, please subscribe too.

I ask my therapist today about empathy. Just what is it?
I've heard there are two types, emotional and cognitive.
She tried to explain the congnitive type and I ended up saying it sounds this type would almost be
impossible to feel unless you know why the person is reacting they way they are.
She agreed, because her explanation of cognitive empathy is to understand the other person's perspective
of their emotion. She used the example of it being a very hot day:
We both know it is a very hot day, and uncomfortable because of it.
But, where the cognitive part would come in is in understanding the reason the other person feels it is uncomfortable.

She said her reasons for being uncomfortable with the heat is she is worried about how it will effect
her hair, make-up, and emotional stability because she wants to portray a certain persona to her clients.
Now if I know this and can understand that feeling even though that isn't the reason I feel upset by the heat, then that would be a cognitive understanding of her feelings.

So you would need to know the reason behind the other's emotions on a subject to have cognitive empathy really.
I used a different example... the death of a child.
That seemed more easilty understood IMO.
Ok, I've never had a kid or know how that type of love would feel, but, if I see a mother crying over the loss,
I can relate the feeling of loss to death of someone near. Therefore having an understanding of how the loss makes one feel inside emotionally would be cognitive.
If you have no idea of what losing someone close creates in feelings, then you don't have the cognitive empathy. It's rather like you 'understand' someone elses emotions.

The emotional empathy is pretty simple and since it is a spectrum she said, it can range from not having it to having an overwhelming amount. ASD people can have empathy.
Emotional empathy simply put she said is how YOU feel when you see someone hurt or suffering.
Do you feel nothing or does it need to be someone you care for or does it create an overwhelming emotion
to see it? Like you see in a movie where someone throws up at the sight of a murder, while the other just looks on with interest in what happened.

One is like an understanding of another's emotions and it's reasons.
The other is about YOU and how you feel emotionally inside when seeing something good or bad
or seeing others happy or hurting.

That's the best I got out of a psychologist's answer.

She said her reasons for being uncomfortable with the heat is she is worried about how it will effect
her hair, make-up, and emotional stability because she wants to portray a certain persona to her clients.
Now if I know this and can understand that feeling even though that isn't the reason I feel upset by the heat, then that would be a cognitive understanding of her feelings.
Wow, that would never occur to me as being a reason for someone being uncomfortable on a hot day, probably because it is not within my experience. If I'm uncomfortable, it's because my body can't keep cool. She would have to tell me that this was the reason or I'd never catch on!

I think NTs have less empathy than autistic people. That's why they bully us, won't allow us to be be ourselves, and act more violent to us than we would ever would to them.:mad:

New Threads

Top Bottom