• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

effect of sedatives and anesthesia on Autistic brain

epath13

the Fool.The Magician.The...
V.I.P Member
I've been trying to find some information about effect of sedatives and anesthesia on people with Autism and other spectrum disorders. Can it improve cognition? Does anyone knows anything about it? Neither my neurologist nor my son's one know anything about it. But I noticed something interesting, my son was sedated once and had anesthesia twice, every time afterwards he became more alert and started saying things and putting sounds/ letters together like never before. I felt more alert after anesthesia as well. I also remember I took Valerian root supplements (sedative) in college. It didn't really work for me that well but one time I decided to experiment a little and took X10 times the maximum recommended doze. I felt absolutely great (not high, that thing is not going to make you high :) ). It felt like everything around me sort of slowed down and I was able to function better somehow because of that. I remember thinking - I wish I could always feel like that. The problem with Valerian root, body adjusts to it somehow and if you take to much of it, eventually it will have no effect.
Anyway, have anyone heard anything about this kind of effect or maybe experienced something like this?

From what I understand, they make ASDs sleepy...

And these things, by themselves, don't improve ASDs' conditions

I wonder if what you're describing is a calming effect that removes anxiety and stress, and therefore allows you to function better because you are more relaxed? The concept of anaesthesia and/or sedatives assisting in cognition sounds like a contradiction to me.

I know that when I took Valium/diazepam, I felt fantastic. It was probably one of the best experiences I've ever had. I felt a sense of complete, inner calm after taking the tablet. Luckily I only had the one diazepam; I suspect I would've been quickly hooked on it if I had a regular supply.

I had a similar experience when I was pumped up with morphine [my appendix perforated, they had to "vacuum up your insides!" as the surgeon put it, I was in pain when I woke up]. Not only did it reduce the pain, it calmed me the hell down. I did itch a lot, though.

I wonder if what you're describing is a calming effect that removes anxiety and stress, and therefore allows you to function better because you are more relaxed? The concept of anaesthesia and/or sedatives assisting in cognition sounds like a contradiction to me.

I know that when I took Valium/diazepam, I felt fantastic. It was probably one of the best experiences I've ever had. I felt a sense of complete, inner calm after taking the tablet. Luckily I only had the one diazepam; I suspect I would've been quickly hooked on it if I had a regular supply.

I had a similar experience when I was pumped up with morphine [my appendix perforated, they had to "vacuum up your insides!" as the surgeon put it, I was in pain when I woke up]. Not only did it reduce the pain, it calmed me the hell down. I did itch a lot, though.

Have you felt more focused on diazepam? It is pretty heavy drug though. As for Morphine. yeah it's a fun thing :) I wouldn't stop talking 1st and then it made me very sleepy (the last 2 times, the 1st time when I took it I was 9 and didn't notice much of an effect but the doze was probably pretty low)
I don't really know why those medications had such an effect especially on my son. If I was a neuroscientist or something like that and had more information I would probably be able to build up some sort of a theory. At this point no one can tell me anything. My son's neurologist has said that doctors don't know a lot of times what's going on in human brain so they just experiment with medications and see what works. Like for instance he's said that a certain medication for Alzheimer has been proven to improve speech in 25% of patients with Autism so it is prescribed sometimes to kids but he doesn't have a clue why it works :) I think the only way how we could have found some answers if we had functional mri before, during, right after, then a few hours after and then maybe for the next 3 to 7 days (for my son effect lasted a few days) ... eh well :) I guess I'm still looking for some magic pill, which could give our brains a little kick :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I felt more focused - it was just a sense of inner tranquility. I was like, "So, THIS is how it feels like to not have a care in the world..."

Then I fell asleep.

Neurology is still pretty much uncharted territory at the moment. The brain is a complex mechanism. MRIs and fMRIs can show us a lot about the function of the brain, but there's still a long way to go. Which is why a lot of meds that are used for psychiatric and other brain-related purposes can't be explained at the moment. If you read the PI sheet of those meds, a lot of the time you'd get vague language like, "This drug is believed to work like..."

I once took some St John's Wort thinking that it would make me calmer and more able to sleep, but it didn't. It made me feel very alert and I couldn't sleep.

I've been under anesthesia several times for surgery and sleep dentistry. I am talkative (normally I'm barely verbal) when coming out of it. But I don't say anything that makes sense.

What you're describing might be what's called "Paradoxical Excitement." I'd be careful with drugs like this because they quickly & easily lead to addiction. They can appear to "smooth over" a lot of problems Aspies deal with but in the long run do more harm than good. Also, Valerian Root does not actually contain any sedating properties - it's entirely placebo. I know a lot of people swear that it does, but the professional medical community knows it has no actual pharmacological value.

New Threads

Top Bottom