• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drug Side effects

Animal_Girl

Okay, I am super sensitive to most drugs (prescription or non) and alcohol. I ended up getting all of the obscure mental side effects as well. Birth control caused a severe, life altering depression. Vicodin sends me into intense paranoia episodes and depression. And I'm only talking about stuff I use as directed. Is this an Aspie thing? Do I have a strange reaction to medications because my neurological wiring is different?

I don't know if it's related to neurological wiring. Maybe your brain reacts differently to some chemicals in the medication. That's something some people have, be it aspies or NT people.

I had severe reactions to one drug I was taking for a short term as well. But I know plenty of NT's who have had negative side effects to medicines. So is an aspie thing? - probably not. But it is a "you" thing though. Respect what your body is telling you.

I've wondered about this too since I tend to be prone to side effects from medications: some have been life threatening. As with Biblio, I've also known this kind of thing to happen to many NTs as well. I do believe that Aspies are much more likely than the mean population to have some immune system anomaly & perhaps it renders us more susceptible to side effects; esp when considering our different wiring.

These medications have never been tested on Aspies in particular & all our physical/neurological differences (when compared to NTs) have never been clearly established. For instance, much is known about the differences between people with Type 1 & 2 Diabetes & the non-affected population. Getting a sufficient qty of Aspies with a given condition to come participate in a study or clinical trials must be next to impossible in the first place!

I agree with Biblio that listening to your body is paramount.

New Threads

Top Bottom