• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dogs

icesyckel

I think I am obsessed with dogs. This is bad because it takes all my self-control not to adopt one of every breed that I like, which is many of them. I tend to prefer breeds to mixed breeds, even though mutts tend to be healthier and have good dispositions because I like the organization of breeds into common traits. I helps to predict what dog is good for X purpose. If you adopt a cute puppy without knowing its breed or pedigree, then it could turn into an adult you don't like/care for. I have a mutt, but she was a mix of two pure breeds, and so I like that also (you can track what she got from each breed/parent). Mutts descended from mutts tends to get too unpredictable.

For example, I like collies and corgis because they are herding/droving breeds who don't necessarily need a leash to be walked if you're in a safe area. Their instinct is to follow their family like sheep and their master like a shepherd. Conversely, I like hound breeds because they tend to have sweet dispositions, even though they tend to run off and do their own thing if you let them off a leash. I like mastiff breeds for protective instincts.

Their instinct is to follow their family like sheep and their master like a shepherd.

Or shepherd their master if their master isn't assertive enough. ;)

Yeah, I love the herding breeds right along with some of the toy/terrier breeds. :)

I know this is a dog thread, but I feel the same way about cats! I love Grumpy Cat!

image.jpg

We had a German Spitz Mittel (half way between a Pom and a Keeshond) similar in colour to this one:
german-spitz-mittel.jpg

Beautiful dog that got lots of attention. However, it lived up to its breed reputation of barking and drove my wife crazy.
Next dog will be bigger (and quieter). Maybe a Chow Chow or Samoyed. We love the spitz breeds for looks and intelligence. I'd probably be better off with a lab but their coats are wirey and always leave hands greasy and smelly (in my experience).

I like cats too, especially the Burmese.

Last edited:
I love mutts. I have no idea what mix my Sweetpea might be; I've tried. We took her in as a stray, and she is the sweetest, most loyal dog I could ask for. I'm the kind of person who goes for strays and shelter dogs. I prefer to get them as puppies, as they are easier to train (some say don't start till six months of age, which I think is absurd). I don't think I could handle more than one dog, though, much as I love them. When our terrier mix was around it was harder, and it didn't help that that little dude was a complete a**hole. :p

I love all dogs. I tend to like the small ones better. I have a shih tzu, and I love him sooo much. He´s white and black, and kind of big for his breed. I think dogs are the best company.

I think I am obsessed with dogs. This is bad because it takes all my self-control not to adopt one of every breed that I like, which is many of them.
Find a tiny icon of a dog you like and put it in your forum signature or something. I know it's not the same, but maybe it'll help. And you won't have to worry about everything that goes along with pet care.

Find a tiny icon of a dog you like and put it in your forum signature or something. I know it's not the same, but maybe it'll help. And you won't have to worry about everything that goes along with pet care.

Well, I have 3 dogs to focus on, but maybe a sticker would help? You can see my avatar is one of my dogs already. Still, when I see them at adoption drives around town...

Stickers would probably be good.

You could also donate to or volunteer at an animal shelter.

Yeah, I've volunteered before. I've just learned to discipline myself. Sort of. I keep thinking I'll buy a house so I can adopt more dogs, but people already think 3 is excessive. Also, I can't have one of each. That would be obsessive.

Whoop Whoop i found where I belong! I love pedigree dogs, my favourite breeds are beagle, skye terrier and bichon havenese. I breed beagles and have bred cavelier king charles spaniel in the past but hated how many illnesses they have so didn't want to continue. My dogs are everything to me and I'd do anything for them. This is Nima
08199f75b68cdc3ed1f5ca82fef5db0f.jpg

This is Bella (closest) and her mum fefe
20ce5400d9812d4fdf15e63a1504bd60.jpg

This is Abbi
305f3601d6897cb4371584197c2f9dc8.jpg

This is Orchide
49d1f4c8878b29cc67b630aece8abc7e.jpg

This is Cooee and cocoa, they're almost 4 weeks old and Cooee will be staying here while Cocoa will be moving to a lovely family.
cf8fff949feda0f4d0bd3b8c6eccf20f.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom