• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does this happen to other people? Feeling "Spaced out"

MoparThunder

I got diagnosed with Aspergers, Personality Disorder, Anxiety, Depression, Dyslexia and a few other things over a year ago now, It was difficult accepting being diagnosed, and im still learning new things about myself. Anyway, i noticed a few months ago that i always feel spacey or out of it, all of the time. Is this normal for adults with autism? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's normal for those on the spectrum, but I experience this on a daily basis, especially if I don't take my adderall.

I get this from time to time. My psychologist described it to me as a dissociative experience.

I feel like it's a bubble.
Outside the bubble reality is faint and blurred,not quite there.
Then i seem to wake or am pulled through the bubble and reality is suddenly there around me.
Sounds,light,smells all appear intense and then settle as i adjust to it.
I like the bubble.

I often get this, especially at times of stress and or anxiety. But not like all the time, sometimes it can come and go all day though.

Same here. I often feel as though I'm in a fog or am a character in a movie that I'm watching. I've tried to explain this to others ever since I was a little, but they either wouldn't listen or I was unable to adequately convey what I was experiencing.

This x 1000.

Absolutely. It's like I'm in a daze and can see everything going by me moving slowly. I can't do anything about it it's like it's all passing me by. It's comforting in times of stress and terrifying when it seems to come out of no where.

dissociative experience, that is what it is. I am autistic and have PTSD so apparently I have double risk of that happening now.
I find it very distressing, because I am always afraid that I can not think clearly, but I seem to function or at least get the things done that I need to get done aside from that.

I describe it as being In or Out of The World.
And I will say to my wife, "Sorry, I'm not very Human today."

I find a simple test is a walk through the centre of my city. Sometimes I love it. All the people walking around doing their things. Sometimes, I find myself completely disconnected and repelled by it all. I'll feel like I am one step away from that homeless guy begging for coins.

Tis weird.

Yes, I live in both worlds, or in between. I used to struggle when I was outside watching myself and could not participate, but now it is my comfort zone. My children used to hate it when they could not reach me, as I sat right in front of them. They would wave their hands and repeat "Hello, Dad". I could only watch from the fog, knowing they were there, but unable to respond. Now I am aware of what is happening, but not always able to come out of it. I do notice that it becomes worse with stress.
I really have come to love the other world where I am just an observer of my life, and not a participant. It is safe and peaceful.

Good read.
For me this can happen when someone is talking to me, its as if I can't stay in the moment with them, my mind wanders off, I can feel myself literally trying to drag my concentration back to the person.. and when I finally achieve that I feel embarrassed and feel that it was obvious to the other person... they continue talking to me with a funny expression and I just hope to hell that they will say something (anything as a clue) to get me back on track as to what they were even talking about.
From a very young age I have suffered with this, I have memories of my stepdad screaming in my face (and later partners) because they thought I was being ignorant after making a mistake etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom