• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone walk on their toes, or been told a lot that they walk differently or funny?

Funny thing: I'm terrible at walking on heels..

Me too, i'm starting to think that i am physically incapable of walk on heels, i don't walk on my toes, but i lost my balance if i try it. Beside, i being looking like some other person, i don't know.

I used to walk on my toes like I had hooves instead of feet probably so I could see higher. It was also a habit of my uncle even though he's not autistic at all, and already too tall. It was done unconsciously however and we'd both get in trouble for it. That was 12 years ago. I control it more now.

I walk weird in other ways. OCD makes me a professional at walking the sidewalk squares without stepping on any lines, without paying attention now ( A superstition instilled in me since childhood). The androgynous clutz walk may or may not be part of my autism.

I have always limped and had a clumsy gait (lots of people have commented over the years on how awkward I seem walking), my sister and mother describe it as a cross between a shamble and a waddle. I can have loud footsteps sometimes but other times I seem to move quietly and surprise people.

My wife's sister (who has Autism) always walks on her toes whenever she isn't wearing shoes, my wife does (who doesn't) and I do when not wearing shoes (I have AS) but I think I mainly do it because the floor is cold and I wanna try and keep as much of me as warm as possible haha.

My co-ordination isn't amazing, sports and computer games are not my forte and my balance is awful haha.

I always walk on my toes when I don't have shoes on. I hate the feeling of the floor under my feet, especially if it is a bare floor. I feel every single speck of dirt and what-not, and I can't stand it! And if I'm standing still I'm usually standing on the sides of my feet, to minimize contact with the floor.

Some people tell me I walk oddly, and my mom has tried to have practice walking "normally" so I don't look "weird," but I don't notice any difference in how I walk. Running, though...forget it. I have never met anybody slower than I am. I can't even run a lap around a track. Whenever we had to run laps in PE, I knew I was going to get made fun of for the rest of the class period. Everybody would be done and waiting impatiently for me to finish. And I still had to secretly cut short the number of laps I was running in order to finish. And when we had to run the dreaded mile...oh lord. My time was a little over 22 minutes. Yep.

I was born with two hooked feet. Both were almost upside-down. That caused me to have messed up legs since it was never fixed fully. So when I walk my feet "roll." it hurts me to run but I can walk without pain usually. I also struggle with that body spatial stuff. Idr what it is called but my brain has a hard time telling wear my body is in relation to the rest of the world. So I fall a lot from that which doesn't help the walking. Lol

When not wearing shoes, I tend to walk quickly but very silently and on the tip of my toes. I have been known to occasionally sneak up and scare people. I prefer that as it makes less noise and it seems odd to me to walk flat footed. However outside, when walking longer distances I apparently walk like a penguin at high speeds since the rest of my body does not move very much. I always thought it was just an odd thing I did that was not really related to anything.
And I tend to be clumsy.

I've got a lumbering gait (in a good way).
I only like walking at a certain speed to maintain my "cool" lope.
I wear Dr Martens from the moment i get up to when i go to bed.
They are the ONLY shoes i will wear and i feel naked with out them.
When i have to stand for a while i do pitch up and down on my toes
sometimes staying with my heels 3" off the floor just jiggling a bit.
The i realize peeps may see this and i stop.

I don't remember when I was younger and I suspect between 15 years of dance classes and not knowing about the Aspergers but trying to "blend" into NT society that only my really persistant aspie traits, like rocking, still exist. I am very unaware of my space and frequently knock my limbs on things so I'm usually covered in bruises I don't remember getting.

I used to as a kid much more than I do now. I had an obsession if being completely silent when walking nearly everywhere so I would walk on my toes a lot.

I don't walk on my toes but i run on the bottom palm of my foot, my heel doesn't touch the ground when i run.
When i walk i cannot walk in a straight line. If im walking with a friend or family i have to be right at the back. Not only because i cant walk strait but also because i dont like anyone behind me.

I've been told that my gait is really stiff. That's because it usually is. :)

Otherwise, I have a talent for walking silently. Even when I weighed 240 pounds!

I used to be told I walked very stiff. Being transgendered I needed to learn how to walk different, so today I don't have these difficulties. Though I still walk on my toes when barefoot. The same with my speech. But in the end it is all conscious work, and when I am drained or really stressed I can't keep it up.

I keep my upper body still when I walk and don't move my arms at all. I also have a foot that naturally turns out. And my balance is terrible. It's gotten better with martial arts training, but I still find myself tripping over nothing and stumbling. I also forget where my body is in space a lot, so I always walk into things, bump into things when I pass them and the like.

Smoking pot made me realize that I walked funny as my mind's more self conscience than normal :/

New Threads

Top Bottom