• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Documentary/educational television

I have to admit, I find Animal Planet's "Fatal Attractions" absolutely riveting.

Perhaps because I suspect most of these people who collect dangerous species are probably on the spectrum. At least the ones chronicled on this documentary series.

I have seen Fatal Attractions a few times via Internet. I have to say, that is pretty captivating. You just know these things aren't going to end well. All I can think of when I see that sort of thing is Steve Irwin. He wasn't a collector, in the same sense, but I always had a feeling his days were numbered. He just didn't know when to quit.

One of the single worst shows of its kind airs on Animal Planet U.S.: Finding Bigfoot. It's been running since 2011. It's really time to add "Not" before the title. Yet people watch. And watch. And watch. And watch. And watch....

One of the single worst shows of its kind airs on Animal Planet U.S.: Finding Bigfoot. It's been running since 2011. It's really time to add "Not" before the title. Yet people watch. And watch. And watch. And watch. And watch....

I knew there was a reason why I haven't seen it. :p

Rather than being informative, the documentary spent the whole time playing some cheap, horror-themed, music, and would repeatedly play jumpy sound effects, while showing poor-quality images of past psychopathic killers

I love the production effects used on shows about psychopaths. The incidental music is almost comical. And what's all that static, dark blur, and jumpy camera work about? Are we supposed to think we're in the mind of a serial killer? I rather expect those types see things in very sharp focus.

I love the production effects used on shows about psychopaths. The incidental music is almost comical. And what's all that static, dark blur, and jumpy camera work about? Are we supposed to think we're in the mind of a serial killer? I rather expect those types see things in very sharp focus.
Yeah, it really would have been more accurate to label it a mockumentary. The only serious aspect was the doctor, who appeared half way through it. The show was broken down in to: cheap Hollywood tricks - a serious doctor - cheap Hollywood tricks. Was bizarre.

There seems to be tremendous pressure to sensationalise natural history content, these days. With multiple networks competing for both audiences and ad dollars, especially in "prime time", bunnies do tend to develop flesh-slashing fangs bathed in lethal bacteria. (Now try saying "flesh-slashing fangs" five times, very fast--I'll wait. :p) Beneath the hype, though, do you at least find some solid educational content in any of them? Or once the bunnies go all Monty Python on you, do you just not care anymore?
Flesh-sha-shing-fangs. Flesh-sha-shing-fangs. Fla-sha-sha-shangs. Flay-sha-sha-shang. Flay-sha-she-shang. There ya go. :D

I find it informative. Kinda. I have to dig through the fluff to find what's real or not and translate it to myself in animal terms. "Okay, so that lizard has needle teeth because he's a carnivore, but doesn't need carnasials like a dog because he won't really be grinding bones up. He has poor hygiene, so the bacteria is basically from rotten goo because he's a sloppy eater, and he needs to stop eating the birds so we don't die instantly from a wee nip." That makes a lot more sense to me than "terrifying razor sharp teeth designed to rend flesh and a killer bite laden with hordes of millions of lethal bacteria to kill helpless prey in seconds [and insert gory details of rotting skin and failing organs]".

This seems to be a major gripe, the dragging-things-out bit. Even just here, on this thread. I wonder why this has become such a trend. I don't think I know anybody who appreciates it.

How about shows like Ste11aeres mentioned, where there's a "surprise" theory or conclusion that takes an hour or more to get to? Are you ever actually surprised, or just annoyed it took so bloody long?
Very, very, very annoyed. It becomes anti climatic after fifteen minutes to me anyway unless they have some really good filler material. Or it's a series of 3-5 stories they drag out over an hour to support the same conclusion. While I was highly amused watching "Sex Sent Me to the ER", I wish they had done each story consecutively rather than mashing them altogether. I wasn't sure when each story ended by the time the next episode started. I think I've seen a few animals series done the same way. I don't mind something like Big Cat Diary that is following a few large felines across Africa, there is an established timeframe it all ties into properly. A bunch of dudes from wildly varying timelines don't need to be mushed up. Can you imagine if they did that in math class while teaching trigonometry? "Now here is an isosceles, right, equilateral, and obtuse triangle. Their left sides are 15, 25, 30, and 5 long and their right sides are 15, 30, 30, 30 long, and the bottoms are..." Not helpful.

but that works too

dolphins copy.png

Coming Soon - Spring 2015

Last edited:
While I was highly amused watching "Sex Sent Me to the ER", I wish they had done each story consecutively rather than mashing them altogether.

I'm just "highly amused" you watched Sex Sent Me to the ER to begin with! :D We don't get that programme here, but I'm okay with this.

Your translation about the lizard with needle teeth does make more sense. Sometimes I think those shows should have "closed-captioning for the sensationalism-impaired", so the scientifically interested could actually get something out of them.

(I had accidentally unclicked "Watch this thread" -- Sorry I didn't see this before.)

are you like a photo shop king or is that a pic on the internet

I do a little messing about in Photoshop, yes. I thought your clever programming request deserved to be realised, at least in some way, so I made it happen for you. :p

Muscle-Cars-4.jpg
26669.jpg

I had to turn the dolphin and delete the background, obviously.

New Threads

Top Bottom