• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do your thoughts race elsewhere in the middle of daily tasks

Rob

V.I.P Member
Hi -
Many times my mind wanders off quickly to other things in the middle of housework, at work, or even when I am eating. When this happens I forget things or misplace things. I will spill things, knock stuff over, or end up biting my tongue when eating, etc.

But when I am driving or cashiering I have to shut things off.

How many of you have trouble keeping your mind on the task without having your thoughts race off into totally different directions?

My mind has so many directions of thoughts constantly it is very difficult to focus on just one.
I've learned to live with it. How to work with it and accept it.
Prozac slowed it way down to the point it didn't feel like me.
I'd rather feel like me.

Yes and thus, have to shut down my thoughts, if I want to concentrate. It is exhausting, but necessary, otherwise, disaster lays before me.

Hi -
Many times my mind wanders off quickly to other things in the middle of housework, at work, or even when I am eating. When this happens I forget things or misplace things. I will spill things, knock stuff over, or end up biting my tongue when eating, etc.

But when I am driving or cashiering I have to shut things off.

How many of you have trouble keeping your mind on the task without having your thoughts race off into totally different directions?
Constantly. I am AD(non H)D. Most of the time I constantly have many thoughts in my mind, all competing for my attention. I learned to control them after trying Ritalin. The first time was almost like a mystical experience, as the noise faded like static on a radio. I remember thinking "WOW, so this is how everybody else thinks!" Unfortunately, I quickly developed a tolerance and had to keep upping the dose until it became impractical. Before I quit, I was able to learn to duplicate the feeling and mindset I had when using the Ritalin. This way I am able to get some control.

Me too - suspected ADHD.

Like I go downstairs for something and by the time I get down the stairs my mind has wandered and I've totally forgotten what it was I wanted, it's takes another 10 minutes to get myself back on track.

Not only do my thought's race, but I can become overstimulated by them and I get a surge of energy and lose control of my body movement - meaning I flap my hand or suddenly run across the room.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom