• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you use slang words?

AppleJubilee

I've never used slang words in high school or middle school or texting or online at all. I don't know if its because like writing , love words and love to be grammatically correct. Or if it is because of my autism. Do you use slang words?

Slang isn't restricted to grammatically incorrect terms or texting acronyms, you know. You probably use slang yourself and may not realize it.

I love 'em. Slang is the cat's whiskers of language. And the bee's knees. I see it as an enrichment. One of my main annoyances with being a non-native user of English is my limited vocabulary, especially when it comes to slang terms. Maybe there's some jazz lingo word of the day mailing list I can get on? That'd be swell.

Slang and related linguistics is one of the major things I'm interested in when it comes to language. That and etymology. So reading I read up on where certain slang comes from.

So needless to say I do use it from time to time. But much like Gonzerd, me being non-native English probably limits my usage a bit, especially English slang. Dutch slang, as well as the local dialects, who tend to use some slang here and there are pretty frequent in my daily speech. German slang... let's say, I understand most of what people in Germany are talking about when I'm out and about in their country regardless of their subcultural orientation.

Which reminds me of a funny anecdote the other day; I was out shopping in Germany and at the checkout I asked the cashier for a bag. Or; in plain german "Eine Tüte". I was met by reply along the lines of "I wish I had one right now". Fact is; if you get into slang territory in Germany, "Eine Tüte" is slang for a Joint, a Doobie or if you're from the UK a Spliff. It was a bit of a bad choice of words cause I could've asked for "Eine Tragetasche" (a carrying bag), which as far as I know has no connotation that's slang related.

I don't know if grammar is an autism thing as such. As much as I try to write it correct, I actually don't care that much about it. I rather just understand the message that is meant to be transmitted than be annoyed over the incorrect use of grammar on occasion. I think there is plenty of faulty grammar in the origin of certain slang and even "regular" language already. Some words most likely exist because someone was too lazy, too dumb or just not interested to write it correctly and these things actually stuck.

Last edited:
I love slang, and figures of speech. I use them more than the proper words, usually. I'm a little more formal when I write, especially here, because I want to be understood properly. But I have a habit of using extensive slang. And I talk in metaphors and similes, ALL THE TIME. If I have to explain ANYTHING, I can't just explain it, I have to illustrate it with a simile (not a smiley). Emotions are like tornadoes (you can prepare for them, but not prevent them); people are like computer programs (they look different but follow the same underlying patterns); stubbing your toe is like dying on the last level of Mario (it stinks and I hate it), etc.

I love slang and use it all the time. But, if you are supposed to be using proper grammar such as in print or on the news then using slang irks me the wrong way.

I see no problem using slang. I also see no problem using contractions.

I do get a sense of amusement from fictional characters who tend to use neither, such as Commander Data (Star Trek) or Henry Standing Bear (Longmire). It allows them to speak perfectly good English, yet create the sense that they are decidedly from "somewhere else". Perhaps an actor's gimmick for those unable to mimic authentic accents.

I do sometimes make people curious as to where I'm from when I occasionally accent certain words exclusively based on their first syllables. And some of my vocabulary does vex folks from time to time. Made the mistake of asking about furniture recently....referring to a chifferobe rather than an armoire. The salesperson had no idea what I was talking about.

But at least on this side of the border when I ask for a side order of grits I actually get what I asked for. :p

Last edited:
I think because of how much fiction I've read, I find that grammar and slang don't have to be in conflict with each other. It's all about expression (within reason). I use slang, and I've even taken to slang and wordplay in German which is not my native tongue.

Even in online chats and text messages, though, I don't use chatspeak...

I do enjoy being grammatically correct. And it bothers me when other people aren't. However, I do tend to use slang words a lot. Usually just to be funny, but it's almost a tick. There are a few words that I use religiously. Like, every sentence. Maybe just because I never know what else to say. Right now the word is 'dope'. That's dope. Or, oh dope. It comes from the people I hang out with, but slang words I seem to pick up on a lot and overuse.

New Threads

Top Bottom