• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Talk to Yourself?

Yes. I also answer myself as well as bring up counterpoints...:dance:

But in public I usually catch myself.

Yes, a lot. Like you, I need to say the instructions aloud and make them step by step like: "Open your notebook, handle your pencil, copy this and this and this", and people always watch me weirdly, but it's necessary to me. I also imagine a lot of histories about animes and I like to say it aloud, like a long monologue. It's funny and entertainment to me.

Mostly, I make comments on what I am doing. It is very embarrassing in a store. While hunting through a pile of shirts I may say to myself, "This is almost the right shade." Or I might say about a pile of fruit, "This just isn't ripe enough." My talking serves no purpose and I wish I could stop doing it.

If I talk to myself? Only a lot! :p And actually I got used to it and don't find it embarassing. My brethern don't find it, too. Sometimes commenting on my work like "No, what are you doing there, erase it and start it over again!" or playing the devil's advocate in ideas that come to my mind and sometimes I answer out loudly and not just in my head. Some other times, I might speak in other languages as well (I find this one kind of embarassing, to be honest :p) while my eyes are stuck in a point (but actually thinking something different and irrelevant). Also, I've got to admit I recall dialogues from movies I've seen or books I've read with such detail that makes me laugh out loud. :giggle2:

Well, yes, because it's often the best conversation that I can find.

I talk to myself all the time. Making sure none of the norms catch me takes up quite a bit of processing time in the ole noggin. One of the more disturbing things about my yakking problem is I do it while driving quite a bit. Sometimes I glance in the rear view mirror and see myself having a rather involved emotional discussion with no one. Then I have to wonder how many people have seen me. Embarrassing.

Hey guys, just wanted to ask you a question, I don't know if this could be a common symptom of Asperger's/Autism, it seems like it would be.

Do you often talk to yourself? I do, I'm not afraid to admit it. So, who else does here? Don't be shy... To me, it's just thinking out loud.
Yes I often do, especially when I am driving my car, or thinking about something that concerns me. Of course, I only do it when I think no one else is listening...but I have been caught at it, which is quite embarrassing to me. And I mean extensive one-sided conversations, where I am either pretending to be talking to someone else, rehearsing what I am going to say to someone, or philosophizing. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

I talk to myself all the time. Making sure none of the norms catch me takes up quite a bit of processing time in the ole noggin. One of the more disturbing things about my yakking problem is I do it while driving quite a bit. Sometimes I glance in the rear view mirror and see myself having a rather involved emotional discussion with no one. Then I have to wonder how many people have seen me. Embarrassing.
I do the same thing, exactly as you have described it. I tell myself that people must think I'm singing to a song on the radio. Of course, this only works when the windows are rolled up and they can't hear you! ;-)

I see it as thinking aloud, the conversation could be just as easy within our head. but the fiter to keep it internal, broke down for that moment

Yes, if I don't think anyone's around to hear. My world is full of fuzz heads so it's normally the most intelligent conversation I can get.

Not generally, but I find I do occasionally out of frustration (such as asking the empty room where my keys are, haha).

My father used to do this more than I did; he'd talk to himself when working away, which I imagined helped him to think, and work out complex issues in his mind, as he worked as a civil engineer. He did mutter under his breath a lot though when he too was frustrated.

I sometimes verbally talk to my self, I do have a lot of mental dialogue going on too. I talk to my cat often as well and she is quite the conversationalist.

I sometimes verbally talk to my self, I do have a lot of mental dialogue going on too. I talk to my cat quite often as well.

Haha, yeah, I talk to my cat sometimes too. He usually just stares at me like I'm crazy (you know it's bad when your cat is judging you, haha), but sometimes he'll meow back :)

at least your cat is not barking Vanilla:)

He may not be barking, but I'm sure he's mad himself :p

My sister picked him up as a kitten, from this shelter. He's always been a bit skiddish; especially around strangers. He doesn't act like a proper cat either; he's clumsy, doesn't hunt (ever), doesn't play, and meows for cuddles all the time (he actively protests at you by meowing constantly if you don't pick him up, and rock him in your arms like you would a human baby, haha).

I'm pretty sure he's OCD too, cause he gets up set when we move things around. Once we moved his cat bowl to the other side of the hall way (about 3 meters). He didn't like that! He'd stand where his bowl should have been, and meow, while looking over at this cat bowl, as though to imply that it didn't belong there. He'll also sleep in certain spots in the house during certain times of the day, for certain periods of time. He gets quite irritable if he misses out on one of this routine sleeping spots, which can happen if doors aren't left open for him, or if we're out of the house.

New Threads

Top Bottom