• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you sometimes feel like your Aspergers is gone? But it's not...

Perhaps I should take it from a different perspective;

I don't always feel as an aspie... I pretty much feel "me". It's when I compare it to other people and actively try to interact with others, where I notice how I'm not like them. How I'm having a different take on things, how I understand things differently, and how I interact differently.

I think my AS is gone... pretty much every time I'm on my own and it rears it head when other people are involved; social etiquette, expectations and such... and given that I rarely interact with others and am more on my own (or with other aspie friends who have their own peculiarities), my aspieness, in regards to how society perceives it, isn't prevalent, unless I'm "out there".

I never feel it has gone but i did go for long periods of time intentionally not "blaming" it.
Forgetting about it.
Then i'd start to feel inadequate until i said "oh yeah that'll be ASD" and i felt better.
Now i have it in my consciousness quite happily and my moods are more stable.
That's why i joined the forum.
It is who i am and i am happy with that.:)

Have to agree with Oni on this one. On my own, I am fine. Whenever there's another person around, something always crops up to remind me.

I used to feel like that, but I've come to accept that I will always be me, and most people who know me know that I am just being me. :)
When it comes to going to doctors, going to the hairdressers or meeting my extended family ( :p ), it usually tends to get awkward when they expect me to talk. :(
But by then my mum usually tells them why I have trouble confidently talking. My mum's helped me a lot with stuff like that. :D

When I was little I was autistic, only I was not raised as an autistic child. Which made me like every other kid until I knew I was autistic. That alone is very weird.

I know that as a little kid growing up I was not quiet at all. I would have the whole place in stitches by the time my mom took me home. I remember that vividly.

I have days where I am able to carefully calculate my words. I feel completely in control and if I am not sure what is about to come out of my mouth is appropriate for the current situation then I don't say anything at all. I seem to blend in with they rest of society the way I would like too. So in a since, yes I have days where I don't feel the struggle of "is what I am saying okay?". People respond to me positively and I do not feel a cycle of paranoid and self degradation like tendencies that I sometimes fall into. I am able to express what I feel in an appropriate manor and people understand. But one little thing can throw this off and usually by the next morning I am back on my usual self. That's why I sought out this community of awesome people!

Quite often it might seem that way when you live with a routine degree of isolation and self-employment. At times under such conditions it's quite honestly a non-issue for me.

It's my comorbid issues of clinical depression and OCD that aren't so apt to evaporate at any given time.

Sometimes. I've gotten better at dealing with people. I've learned how to become friendlier and even occasionally make conversation. But the tendencies are still there. I still stim, I still obsess, and I still struggle with reading people. Basically, I've improved as far as life skills, but I think that comes from lots of practice and learned strategies. I can make myself appear more "normal" on the outside, and that can even trick me into thinking maybe it IS gone. But...nope. :)

"Gone" in the sense that my functioning seems higher than usual. But, of course, this doesn't last but maybe a day or two--if I'm lucky.

I have days where I am able to carefully calculate my words. I feel completely in control and if I am not sure what is about to come out of my mouth is appropriate for the current situation then I don't say anything at all. I seem to blend in with they rest of society the way I would like too. So in a since, yes I have days where I don't feel the struggle of "is what I am saying okay?". People respond to me positively and I do not feel a cycle of paranoid and self degradation like tendencies that I sometimes fall into. I am able to express what I feel in an appropriate manor and people understand. But one little thing can throw this off and usually by the next morning I am back on my usual self. That's why I sought out this community of awesome people!

I feel exactly the same way some days. Some days it seems my social skills are at a higher level and I can talk the ears off a rabbit. It may have something to do with who I am dealing with at the moment and how comfortable I feel around them.

I feel exactly the same way some days. Some days it seems my social skills are at a higher level and I can talk the ears off a rabbit. It may have something to do with who I am dealing with at the moment and how comfortable I feel around them.

That seems about right. If I am talking to family or old friends I will talk a lot. But if I talking to new people I tend to have a little bit more control but I still have a lot of slip-ups when trying to tell someone something especially if I am talking about a subject that I am knowledgeable about. It's one of those "I assume everyone wants to know what I know" kind of thing. :cool: I have been working on it though and I think I am getting better, I really need to get my sleep pattern down because I notice quality of sleep really affects my ability to social function the next day.

If I am Asperger, then to say that my Asperger is gone is to say that I am gone. I am not NT the same way that I am not canine. If I became NT, it would be just as alien to me as if I became canine. However, if I had to live in the world of the canine, you could say it would be better if I became canine, but I would no longer be me, so the question is moot.

I didn't even know I had it until I was ~35 but now I know what Aspergers is and can see the parts of me it effects, no! I've always been the same. I've always been me - and as I since found out, Aspergers traits and all.

Aspergers can't just go. The same as it can't just start up. You've got it for life. Knowing what being Aspie is, I guess you could have more 'Aspie like' days than others. I've always been an Aspie (although I didn't always know it). Never any different!

Perhaps I should take it from a different perspective;

I don't always feel as an aspie... I pretty much feel "me". It's when I compare it to other people and actively try to interact with others, where I notice how I'm not like them. How I'm having a different take on things, how I understand things differently, and how I interact differently.

I think my AS is gone... pretty much every time I'm on my own and it rears it head when other people are involved; social etiquette, expectations and such... and given that I rarely interact with others and am more on my own (or with other aspie friends who have their own peculiarities), my aspieness, in regards to how society perceives it, isn't prevalent, unless I'm "out there".

Word for word, these are my thoughts too.

Sometimes I have a good day, I talk to people and nothing goes wrong, I understand their jokes, I can return them, I don't miss the cues or misinterpret, I don't feel that I'm really that different to others and wonder about my diagnosis, whether I should have got it, because I can function too well in society. Then, I have a bad day, bad sensory issues or anxiety which really muck up my ability to function, or to hide all those AS traits, and I'm reminded of why I got my diagnosis.

Another issue is very poor self-awareness - I have no idea or how I come across to others, and I often think that my AS traits show more that I imagine them to. Inside I'm always just me.

Depends on who I'm with and how I am at that time and day, though it may transpire later that I'd missed something.. but at the time there are those occasions when I'm comfortable, not anxious and into the conversation, when I forget about AS and.. feel 'normal' ?
Being here on AC is a reasonable example; writing this post seems a natural conversation.. ironically despite the subject :D

New Threads

Top Bottom