• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you self teach?

I usually teach myself, but my brain seems to absolutely refuse to learn details without knowing the reason behind it. Otherwise, I find it like doing a jigsaw puzzle without being able to see the front of the box.

The most pronounced area for this was math in general. At a certain point, I stopped listening to the teacher altogether and just read the chapter instead, hoping there was examples of every concept that I could dissect, take apart, and put back together.

Wow...how strange this came up today...I have just bought loads of wool after mastering crochet today!...self taught..lol....Just about every craft I know was self taught and I always jump in at the deep end with the hardest thing I could possibly choose to do. I also would rather not know something than ask for some help!

Yes I do self teach,I taught myself how to draw and found it a more easier way for to learn and discover what I like,I feel more confident to learn stuff on my own and I find I like to find my own way to learn things.

I always need to grasp the big picture before attacking minute details and methods in learning. Each topic has its own parameters and I like understanding the parameters and how my learning fits into the big scheme. It's all about being able to lock a process into my brain because I understand the reason for the actions of categories related to an objective. This causes me to ask questions to understand the logic behind what I am learning. That's the only way I remember steps and rules. Each piece of information must attach to another, so I have to start with a framework. The framework is the big picture.
Yes, this is often the problem when people are trying to explain things to me - they have the big picture, but I don't.

I've taught myself entire disciplines on my own (yes, I have a lot of time on my hands).

I am very methodical about it and do not engage in selective learning. Once I get into a scientific subject it will usually start with textbooks and continue onto the ongoing scientific discussion that takes place in published current articles.

My husband has several hobbies all very much self taught. I am ambi-brained so I can learn just as easy either way. I work well in chaos or order. If someone spoon feeds me information, I get it, but if not, I'll just go figure it out myself. It takes applying the information to make it stick, though. I used to be able to memorize superficial data like names and dates long enough to ace tests ,for say, history. I would much rather understand the underlying concepts, like in math or science, because then I could use logic to rearrive at the correct answer instead of having to memorize.

That's probably why the kids I tutored did so well, because I taught them to think it out, instead of just parrot. Aspies tend to study hard at what interests them, so I guess it's an Aspy thing that I used analogies about what they were interested in as a learning tool to get the points across. For example, comparing the subject matter to football plays or fashion accessories to get the jocks and cheerleaders interested enough to pay attention.

i observe
i try to understand
i try to find trends that i can use
i learn

basically all day long

i haven't tried learning a skill that way

I've never been given lessons on how to draw, but then again I don't think most cartoonists ever were. Basically I watched cartoons or read comics, would try to draw what I saw on paper, and it just developed naturally. The great thing about cartooning is that there aren't any rules, anyone can draw something in their own unique style, which is why comic strips all look so different.

That's probably why the kids I tutored did so well, because I taught them to think it out, instead of just parrot. Aspies tend to study hard at what interests them, so I guess it's an Aspy thing that I used analogies about what they were interested in as a learning tool to get the points across. For example, comparing the subject matter to football plays or fashion accessories to get the jocks and cheerleaders interested enough to pay attention.

I'm a teacher myself and this is exactly how it works for me.

And most of the descriptions of how you all learn, are exactly what I usually do and need. I can't learn without understanding the why's or function behind something.

I hate it when people are not clear about what is expected when they're instructing, and I think past experiences have extremely affected how comfortable I am in a learning situation. I can get really anxious if I don't get the point of a teacher or if they are not clear in their instructions.

The upside of that, is that in my own teaching, I'm very aware of the need to secure a safe environment for all the students.

New Threads

Top Bottom