• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you relate to animals more than people?

Marycv

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I was diagnosed with PDD a few years ago, and I'm getting use to this diagnosis (which I never knew I had). Throughout my life I always had difficulty making friends, and I never had many in the first place. I was mostly home and writing as I usually do did. I always felt much better when I had a pet like a bird or dog. I don't know what it is, but I always felt happier being around them. Sometimes it's easier being around them than people (or even my parents). They are easier to understand in many ways. I always liked taking my dog for a walk, petting him, or talking to my bird. It was always easier being around my pet, than relating to people. I was told because I lacked social skills. When I have to give away my pet or whatever the reason is, I take it harder than someone else. My dad is even surprised how I cling to my dog, and won't let him go. He would say there are other dogs, maybe so, but all of them have different personalities. Even if I see something on TV, I am more affected than if it were a person. Could someone tell me is this normal to feel much better with animals than people? Is this a usual for Autism Spectrum Disorder individuals to feel this way?

You are not alone. I often would tell my mom that my dog wasn't an animal she was my friend which of course would get a big laugh out of all the adults but it was true. I love all the dogs I have ever had. I find that its easy to tell what they need or want. They tell you. Humans are harder...often.

I also feel much better with animals - maybe just because they are "simpler" than humans. Also I have very strong empathy to animals and almost no empathy to humans. For example if I see the scene where the human becames teared apart or tortured or cruelly murdered I feel nothing. But if I'll show such scene with an animal I may get stressed or even cry. When our cat died about 10 years ago I felt like I lost the best friend.

Absolutely! I regard all my pets as my children. I presently have 2 cats Nolan & Abby(NCIS) and hope to adopt a Boa when the cage is complete.
Nolan is a big 15lb black cat (little panther) & Abby a cute little siamese.
I could not imagine life without them.:D

Also I have very strong empathy to animals and almost no empathy to humans. For example if I see the scene where the human becames teared apart or tortured or cruelly murdered I feel nothing. But if I'll show such scene with an animal I may get stressed or even cry.

This is exactly how I am, I can watch humans be tortured, die whatever and feel nothing, it does not bother me one bit but the slightest bit of animal cruelty has me close to tears. If I was asked to choose who had to suffer pain a person or a dog I would always choose the person.

One time my colleagues recommended me the "Human centipede" movie and said that this is such inexpressible horror that even guys were not able to view it to the end (this is actually a BDSM-related movie which is focused on a human sufferings). I watched it and after this said: "Well... but where is the horror?". And all colleagues said that I have a iron nerves but several of them said that I'm probably a dangerous maniac:bounce:

I haven't seen that film yet, it's one I keep meaning to get around to but always forget. Have you seen the film Grotesque? That's quite enjoyable and I'm guessing probably more gruesome then the centipede one, it's more the idea of what's happening (having your mouth attached to someone's butt) that probably horrifies people with that film. The only thing that ever makes me squirm is stuff to do with eyes, in one of the guinea pig series there's this one scene with a massive needle and someone's eye and yeah, makes me feel ill, other then that I can watch anything and not be affected by it.

I can definitely relate. Recently I took my dog with me on a trip and it made traveling much less stressful even though it was a lot more work. I wish I could get her declared a therapy do so she could go to restaurants, etc. with me. A dog is great companion and also can be an icebreaker or defuse tension in encounters with strangers.

I can relate.

Most of the time I would rather be at home with my cats them going out to do things with people ect.

I think it's an aspie thing.
I made it to senior year in vet school (kicked out because of asperger induced problems), that how much I like animals.

I am with y'all one hundred percent on this one. My dog Bear is still my best friend; I cannot imagine a life without dogs. Occasionally I even borrow my friend's little Chihuahua mix and bring her to my therapy sessions. I am much more relaxed when I have a dog with me.

Yes, it's a lot easier for me to relate and bond with animals.

Human beings hide their thoughts and feelings and this is confusing to me, I feel stressed and unhappy interacting this way.
Animals never do this, their company helps me get in touch with a side of my personality that I can rarely express around people. There's no need for words, convoluted thoughts, no need to impress anyone and no social rules to follow. I can be myself.
When I was alone with my cat, I felt like we could read each other's mind; I miss that kind of natural understanding with people.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a lot easier for me to relate and bond with animals.

Human beings hide their thoughts and feelings and this is confusing to me, I feel stressed and unhappy interacting this way.
Animals never do this, their company helps me get in touch with a side of my personality that I can rarely express around people. There's no need for words, convoluted thoughts, no need to impress anyone and no social rules to follow. I can be myself.
When I was alone with my cat, I felt like we could read each other's mind; I miss that kind of natural understanding with people.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

My friend told me the reason people with autism spectrum relate to animals better, because it has to do with lacking social skills. Do you think that is true. I feel for myself more comfortable at times with my dog and bird, they seem to understand me more than most people. Sometimes it's like I understand what my pets are feeling, and we understand each other better.

My friend told me the reason people with autism spectrum relate to animals better, because it has to do with lacking social skills. Do you think that is true. I feel for myself more comfortable at times with my dog and bird, they seem to understand me more than most people. Sometimes it's like I understand what my pets are feeling, and we understand each other better.

True. One hundred percent. :cool:

In complete agreement with you. I have 3 dogs and a cat. Had birds previously. Animals are such a comfort. As a child, I thought we communicated and had our own special language. I still prefer them to most humans. And I can't take any film with animal suffering or cruelty. I'll have nightmares for weeks. I've learned to stay away from all horror movies.

It makes me feel so much better that I am not alone. There are others that are experiencing the same thing.

they say a dog is the only creature that loves you more than it loves itself. Animals don't judge. Humans do. They want you to be the same as them. They don't want to accept a difference especially when it comes to social interaction. I think my animals always know when something is up. Especially my dog Pepper. Sometimes it makes me sad that my best friends are animals because what is says about the human race is that all the accepting and inclusion politically correct things we see in this world are false. If they were true I would have human friends.

I feel the same dogs inperticular. With dogs they simple they dont hold grudges they dont say one thing mean another or secrettly hate you. Might hava scrap over domenents but genurlly they like peace and order. They look up to you and respect (if treated right) you as there leader no questoins asked. And you could be really horible to them and they forgive and forget in an instant. Lol my dogs get all playfull pretend to bite and run off and other things. Look at you in joking way and try to make you jump or get toys put em on your lap to throw ,or throw them at you or teese you to chase them. I Love animals especially Doggys!

New Threads

Top Bottom