• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you ramble aloud to yourself?

Keith

For years I've had a habit of rambling out loud to no one in particular. I'm worried that it might make me seem weird.

For years I've had a habit of rambling out loud to no one in particular. I'm worried that it might make me seem weird.
Might make you seem weird? Oh, it does, buddy. I do it too. If you know of a technique to quash it, share it, please. I'll try it.

Yeah, I actually have in recent years become more aware of when people are in my vicinity and immediately reduced it to a mumble or stopped in those situations.

I'm fairly certain that I talk to myself more than I talk to actual people. If I'm in an uncomfortable environment by myself, or trying to work through a problem/idea, I find it more stressful not to ramble. Although I've mastered the art of the barely audible whisper, so I don't usually get weird looks.

Yeh I do it all the time. I've learnt to just make my lips move and no words or mumbly words come out and i put headphones in and hope people just think I'm sining along to a song.

Nope, not really. When we have autism we are being stifled by the abnormal normal people every day. They try to take away our individuality, I speak out loud all the time, when digesting the days events, past crimes that I was subjected too, issues about work, just about anything.

Since I do not care to converse with the people I see every day, they are way too low on the intelligence spectrum, hihi, I usually will talk things out to find solutions, to determine what I have to do and to figure out better ways for the future.

Now, the people who walk around all day, and jabber into the cell phones, those to me are the nutjobs. They need an audience, I do not.

Yes I do that all the time. When alone I replay past conversations or try to figure out what I'm gonna say for future ones. Or talk about myself in 3rd person as if I'm an outsider and what I would like outsiders to see about me.

What I tend to end up doing is talking as if I'm actually explaining something to someone.

I find talking out my thoughts to be very therapeutic, and sometimes I have a hard time thinking without it. It's like my thoughts get to be too much for my headspace and they need a place to go. I find writing them out helps, too. I also like to engage in echolalia for fun so there's that as well.
It makes conversation difficult though because people expect you to do all your thinking in your head before responding, which can get really tough to do, at least for me. It doesn't help that they expect you to be quick as well.

Oh i for sure do that all the time, Worst part is i tend to do it out in stores when im shopping, and when i notice others notice that im talking to myself, i make it worse by going"why am i talking to myself, what is wrong with me, im such a crazy person today!" right in front of other people who then think im even more crazy!

I've started to answer myself! Hmmm....few days ago I was practicing Spanish as I had been watching a Learn Spanish video. Just as I said out loud "la trucha es estupido" [the trout is stupid]*** a cute Spanish lady-neighbor, was walking by me!

Quickly I said como sta? She said hi and as I walked away she quickly rambled off 2 sentences. I didn't know what she said so I said to her "Y usted" [And you...] Maybe she thought I had been talking about fishing...?

***it's in the video, don't ask me why....

I do that all the time I always get people asking especially my mum who are you talking to?
I mainly talk to myself about my interest and ideas like a couple of minutes ago I was talking about getting myself one of those Tamiya Rc cars one of these to be precise
b_58519combo.jpg

I've done that since I was a kid. It's become more frequent as I've gotten older. I'm sure it does make me seem weird, but if anyone acknowledges it, I just say, "Nevermind. I'm just talking to myself." People just let it go ... or at least they don't bother me about it.

Oh god yes. If i'm alone for the most part, but at work (as a cashier) i'll do it when the register starts messing up. Just in annoyance though, aimed at the machine, talking to inanimate objects more than anything at that point. At home i talk to the cats, at least then i have an excuse lol. They don't care long as i'm petting them and paying attention to them.

I just tell people I am talking to my dolls...though sometimes I actually do, makes it weirder and they don't bother me lol

Yes I do it when ever I can. I find it to be good for me because I cannot process my thoughts properly when I have to keep them in my head.

New Threads

Top Bottom