• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have a nemesis?

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
Weird right? I know!
It just seems to me to be that every time I go somewhere new I find myself developing an arch rival, I fixate on someone as being my nemesis; if there is even a tiny conflict at all it suddenly becomes personal and then everything after that is a calculated slight against my self. At least that is what it feels like.

Like my last neighbour physically tortured me in terms of sleep depravation as a major point and indiscriminate needling at the least. But this new place I moved into has old ladies on both sides and across the street, as well as a park at the back...
So I have "picked" the revheads down the road to be intolerant of... what the hell. Like they ever did anything to me yeah, but I can?t stand that they rev their motors when they drive away and they try valiantly to get up to 300mph before the end of the block, it bothers me that their kids play in the street and they have people over all the time. Oh and parties when it?s not even the weekend, what?s with that then. Arghhhhh

Oh crap, I am the proverbial ?crazy old man on the block that yells at kids to get off his lawn? aren?t I? I mean, have never confronted them or said anything because I realise my behaviour is something else masquerading, but it just seems to me that I always have to have something to point at as a cause for feeling a certain way? maybe?
I think it is a classic case of transference huh, what do you think?

Do you have an arch enemy? Or am I just a crazy person? (Maybe I should get me some cats)

I don't think you are crazy. I think that its the human condition to have people who we don't like or don't get along with more so than others. But I have an arch rival her name is Andrea and she is not a nice person. She pretends to be a nice person then stabs you in the back all the while protesting that she is doing it for your own good and that you're not a worthy human being. So I think in general that we all have one or two people in this world that we would rather not have to deal with but then again life wouldn't be life with out a little hoopla right?

Oh crap, I am the proverbial ‘crazy old man on the block that yells at kids to get off his lawn’ aren’t I?

I also get annoyed by the cheerful, harmless sounds of some people enjoying themselves, like children playing or adults laughing noisily, especially when I'm trying to concentrate on something.

As for an arch-nemesis, I enjoy hating anyone who's arrogant, false or overly extroverted. There's a really cocky girl in my class who loves performing on stage, who always feels the need to think out loud. She also has this habit of saying something incomprehensible out of the blue, and then waiting for someone to notice and ask "what was that?" so that she can tell us all the story behind it. I find I usually hate these people more if lots of other people like them, as if I have to balance things out.

I feel a bit mean, but that's how I react to these sorts of people.

I have one at the warehouse that I work at.

Everyone at the warehouse will playfully mock each other. Everyone does it including myself, it's just all in good fun. But there is this one guy... he's about 20 years older than me and his insult/jokes seem like they're purely insults. When he mocks me it's not even funny, it's just insulting. I'm not sure if my Asperger's prevents me from detecting the friendly joke part of his comments or if he really is just an ass.

So whenever I think he's insulting me I will (of course) throw another insult right back to him and it gets ugly from there xD

I think most jokes are just insults followed by a laugh, and there is a very fine line between funny and hurtful. I think your warehouse nemesis might just be missing the target, but then again he could also be disguising sincere insults behind a jovial manner.

I often find that when I try to join in with the jokes my classmates are making, they always take it as a nasty insult and never laugh, so I am very discouraged to make jokes of my own.

There is this woman that I work with who has wronged me so frequently but insists on trying to be my friend. I don't get it and I don't like her at all!

My arch-enemy keeps changing, but for now, I have one.

He is my arch enemy because he just seems to be there to stop me. He just wants to fulfill his dream at my expense. As long as he lives, I will never do anything as it seems, because he seems to have the mindreading ability to know what I can offer to the world, and somehow make them ever better. The best example would be forming a locally-based autism support group - he just does things his own way and wants to be in charge, in all the dominant manners thinkable. And I do not like this, I have an aggressive personality as well.

Later, I think about it, I may be better focusing on my day-to-day tasks. I'd rather to be first-rate myself (but third-rate in my social circles) than to be a second-rate person, who has to follow to a Higher Order almost all the time.

Well, that's just me, I better be truthful to myself.

I resemble the remark about the crazy cat person. Though people know I'll have a soft heart for those cats they can't keep and give them to me. I feel like a foster mom for cats.
Anyhow..
I have a nemesis too. She's the head of the horticulture department at the college. I have 6 more classes to go to get my degree. Have to deal with this woman for 1 more year. Luckily, only 1 of the 6 classes required are actually her classes, and that's an internship rather than a lecture.
But I just finished my last internship class last month. And even though we were busy working around in the greenhouse she would come in there and muck things up somehow. She's disorganized and will come and start something in the greenhouse and let it half done for weeks until the plants are no good, and often leaves a mess for us to clean up.
She requires her interns to help her in her plant sale which she is conveniently absent from even though it's 'hers'.
She had a big idea to plant an herb garden for the culinary arts department which she required the interns to design and plant with no instruction, or supervision. Not to mention there are no culinary arts classes during which time the herbs are growing. They can't take advantage of this herb garden in anyway, yet it was built on her insistence. She told me to do what I will with the herbs, so I took them home myself to make medicines with, and to dry out for culinary uses, and such.
She told us to plant around the fish pond and gave no instruction or supervision, but complained about plant placement which had to be redone.
The greenhouse supervisor is a wonderful man who has been there at the college ever since 1970. He is a good teacher, and provides us with ample opportunities to learn everything about plants, even if it's extra-curricular. Example: He took us to his farm one day where we learned how to drive a zero turn riding mower. He's shown us the reel mowers that maintain golf greens, shown us how to mix pesticides, etc. A lot of how to that you must learn by doing, not out of a book stuff. He teaches the greenhouse and floral classes. However, he's only got an associates degree and even though he's been there 40 years he's not the boss, she is. And, she steps on him with her masters degree of book learning.
So she's got a masters degree but she's got very poor teaching skills, and is extremely unorganized. Her head is flighty. She doesn't want to teach half the curriculum because it's not in line with her own personal interests. She never goes out of her way to teach us anything new or extra-curricular unless it's something she's interested in like the green campus initiative or creating shitake logs, or talking about organics. All of her interests are fine interests, yes.. but it doesn't give us a full spectrum of knowledge.
One day during our internship we were on lunch break at the greenhouse and she started talking against government programs as if she was talking down towards each and every one that has any kind of assistance whatsoever. Getting all Jamestown "If you don't work you don't eat" in her speech. She made another intern cry. My head was fuming. I walked away and comforted the crying girl. How I would have loved to tell her that she relies heavily on government assistance herself. If not directly, then indirectly since 80% of her students get some kind of financial aid or another in order to go to college. She may not realize it either, but she's only a paycheck or two away from poverty herself. Flaunting assets that she's in debt to have, and what if she or her husband became disabled and couldn't ever work again. How would her kids eat then, if not by food stamps?
And here is my dilemma. Having to keep my mouth shut to her face and put up with her for another year in order to finish my degree. Not to mention that she'd be writing a letter of recommendation for me in the future for jobs. :grrrr:

Last edited:
This one guy that keeps harassing me on my blogs, on forums I go to, etc.

He claims that he made lots of money with gold margin spot trading in the stock market and he became an overnight millionaire. And now he's throwing in my face that he's a millionaire at 24 doing absolutely nothing education-wise while I had to work my butt off and I have nothing to show for it. And he does this... all... the... damn... time.

I used to, when I lived in Kansas a few years ago. The worst part is that the kid used to be my best friend. One day in gym, we were playing basketball, and he kept pushing me, harder and harder. I finally lost it and tackled him to the ground. The substitute teacher looked at us, then just looked away. I probably would've punched him had everybody not been looking, but as it was, I just stood back up.

So yeah, we used to be together all the time, but ended up hating each other's guts. However, I now realize that it was an experience that I needed. I was extremely inexperienced with having friends, and I couldn't stand it when he went to hang out with someone else. He finally had enough of me bothering him to play with me, and started to hate me. I then learned that I should let my friends have other friends. So, painful as this experience was, I learned to be a better friend to others.

I then learned that I should let my friends have other friends

I found that lesson just as difficult to learn. I would often make a nemesis of an extroverted, carefree, inconsiderate new friend of one of my own painstakingly made friends because of how casually and easily they could whisk my friend away and make me feel so inadequate and alienated. I think I probably took things too personally, thinking that if my friend was talking to someone else it was a deliberate rejection of me.

He claims that he made lots of money with gold margin spot trading in the stock market and he became an overnight millionaire. And now he's throwing in my face that he's a millionaire at 24 doing absolutely nothing education-wise while I had to work my butt off and I have nothing to show for it. And he does this... all... the... damn... time.

He's almost certainly lying.

Yes! I have a nemesis. He is sneaky at times, and lurking around when I am not aware. He is arrogant, witty and well spoken. He seems to know my every move and is always there to lead me into temptation. He is also unfortunately very intelligent and an excellent conversationalist, one I can spar with equally, a gift difficult to find in a person. We have been best friends and worst enemies since childhood. We have grown up together and share much history.
My nemesis is myself.

I have an arch nemesis who's a staff worker at the clubhouse that I go to. We don't see eye to eye on too many things, except for the fact that I've picked the perfect role model for myself. I'm Pro-Life for all babies and I have a soft spot for special needs people that's so strong, that I call them Sids after Sid from Flushed Away. She doesn't think that babies with disabilities should be born. I'm going to make a point of yanking her chain by saying, "Don't kill Sid." every time she walks past me.

This person sounds like an online troll. I would IGNORE him completely, as if he is not even there. Never respond or reply. People like that hate to be ignored. And on your blog, if you can, delete all his comments. ;)

I had a nemesis for the first couple of months of sixth form before he went back to his native country.

He's a really clever person. Very intelligent and was at the top of our year group. It began when he saw me reading a book and said to me, "A British reading a book? Pah!" He wasn't amused when I corrected him and he insulted me. He got even angrier when I insulted him back in his native language (French). The rivalry started there.

He would make fun of my autistic traits/behaviour and call me stupid if I couldn't speak in certain situations or understand some facial expressions or didn't detect sarcasm. I got the upper hand in chemistry class though. He sat to my right and my right ear has worse hearing loss than my left ear, so the hearing aid in my right ear is more powerful than my left hearing aid. I would wriggle my hearing aid and it would give off feedback. He really hated that and would tense up every time if anyone in our class wriggled their hearing aids. The joy of driving him mental in chemistry class from just wriggling my hearing aid was sweet.

If I had a nemesis, how would I know? o_O Duh! (Sometimes epic social cluelessness pays off!)

I had a nemesis for the first couple of months of sixth form before he went back to his native country.

He's a really clever person. Very intelligent and was at the top of our year group. It began when he saw me reading a book and said to me, "A British reading a book? Pah!" He wasn't amused when I corrected him and he insulted me. He got even angrier when I insulted him back in his native language (French). The rivalry started there.

He would make fun of my autistic traits/behaviour and call me stupid if I couldn't speak in certain situations or understand some facial expressions or didn't detect sarcasm. I got the upper hand in chemistry class though. He sat to my right and my right ear has worse hearing loss than my left ear, so the hearing aid in my right ear is more powerful than my left hearing aid. I would wriggle my hearing aid and it would give off feedback. He really hated that and would tense up every time if anyone in our class wriggled their hearing aids. The joy of driving him mental in chemistry class from just wriggling my hearing aid was sweet.
I'm always curious what kind of person could or would be such a jerk to others, & with no provocation. So I couldn't help but enjoy your story of gentle revenge because it's funny & he did deserve it. :tearsofjoy:

I'm always curious what kind of person could or would be such a jerk to others, & with no provocation. So I couldn't help but enjoy your story of gentle revenge because it's funny & he did deserve it. :tearsofjoy:

Thanks. I'm happy to know that I made someone laugh. :)

He comes from a very upper class and prestigious family (I'm not saying that all upper class families are like this) which may have contributed to his attitude. His mother's a doctor, his father's a lawyer etc. I don't think that he'd ever met another person with autism before he came to my school because he has no understanding of or had any knowledge of how to interact with someone who has the disorder whatsoever. He'd laugh in my face if I tried to explain my behaviour/traits to him and call me stupid anyway. I was too shy to do anything mean back to him.

What's even funnier is that in chemistry class, my good friend who is profoundly deaf (he has far worse hearing loss than mine whereas mine is just severe) sat to this kid's right. My friend's left ear has worse hearing loss than his right, so his left hearing aid is more powerful than his right hearing aid. My friend frequently wriggles his left hearing aid (wriggling hearing aids helps ease an itch in the ear) so the feedback from his hearing aid is louder than the feedback from mine.

My friend and I must have made a great team in driving my nemesis mental during chemistry class. :tearsofjoy:

I am an avid believer in Jung's explanation of archetypes, therefore I love it when a nemesis raises it head as it pushes me into developing the counterpoint to it.

As a taoist I believe that we are all manifesting both 'hero' and 'shadow/nemesis' qualities at any given moment. The difference being in who is viewing our actions. Our nemesis is there to teach us, I believe they will often manifest the darker aspects of ourselves so that we can both observe an counteract them. They are the best teachers :)

New Threads

Top Bottom